Maine Republican Favors Legalizing Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) The Republican who's running against Democratic Maine Rep. Mike Michaud says legalizing marijuana makes sense.

John Frary, a retired college professor, said in response to a question during a call-in program on Maine Public Broadcasting Network that he's ''more and more'' inclined to favor legalizing marijuana and regulating the drug like alcohol.

He says those who persist with the status quo must decide whether it's worth bending the Bill of Rights and spending the billions of dollars on enforcement.

Michaud's spokesman, Ed Gilmore, says the incumbent takes a more conventional view. He says Michaud supports existing drug laws to protect children.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Maine Wire
Copyright: 2008 The Associated Press

ive been saying this for years. make it legal and the gov. could use this to help our failing economy. i propose that the gov. should set up grow ops inside every prison and let the non violent prisoners grow it for the national market, they wouldnt have the high costs of labor. and let the prisoners smoke it which would cut down the violent acts and agression inside those prisons as well. then allow the minimum security prisons manufacture and package joints and or food products. im possitive that they could sell a pack of joints (filtered and non) say 5 to a pack for around $10 , you could even offer different strains and strengths of mj. could you imagine the amount of money the gov. could make which could be used to decrease the national debt not only from the sale of it but from the billions of dollars saved from the decrease in funding the war on this plant. also they would allow people to grow a small amount for thier own personal use , the same as with alcohol, where you can still make moonshine as long as its not over several gallons and you only make it for your self and not others. and since the majority of peoople have neither the space or the know how or "green thumb" to grow themselves, the majority would be buying it. i know i would buy a pack of high quality joints for $10 wouldnt you?

Back
Top Bottom