Making Coconut Oil

Bill284- I have checked with two sites here in Michigan and have struck out on those strains. Found them in Spain but won’t test the waters. Where did you get yours???
Good morning @Finnicki hope you are well today.
I got those strains from Holland many years ago.
Jack Herer has to be a pretty common strain, I thought.
Gorilla Glue is common also.
Might be GG#4 now.
But any good bushy potent strain will work.

Stay safe
Bill

Bill284- I have checked with two sites here in Michigan and have struck out on those strains. Found them in Spain but won’t test the waters. Where did you get yours???
I did not find Jack Herrer at the Michigan seed bank and seller I usually check for such things.

Good reminder from @Bill284 about the Gorilla Glue name change. Since the Gorilla Glue glue company won the court case the seed breeders are not allowed to use Gorilla Glue. The official name was changed to "G G #4" and the strain is now sold under that name, at least at one place, in our great state of Michigan.

Thanks. I HAVE seen GG 4. Does a #4 mean it has been crossed with another strain? Or has it been crossed with itself?
From what I remember it is just a name change. Maybe a search of articles on the lawsuit will mention why it is called #4.

OK, took a second to ask google and get some info. This is from an article in High Times about 4 1/2 years ago. It seems the original name used by the breeder was Gorilla Glue #4.

It was recently revealed that the Ohio-based Gorilla Glue Co. has filed a lawsuit against GG Strains, the producer of a highly potent, hybrid pot strain known as Gorilla Glue #4, over trademark infringement.

Maybe the 4th back-cross or back-breeding or whatever the proper term is.

Trying another coconut oil now. Decarbing buds in oven. I add water into the crock pot with the coconut oil so not to burn oil. 12 hours in crock is what I will try this time. Is water ok or not at all???

Trying another coconut oil now. Decarbing buds in oven. I add water into the crock pot with the coconut oil so not to burn oil. 12 hours in crock is what I will try this time. Is water ok or not at all???
Keep it covered in water.
Never let it go dry.
Once you filter out the bud , put it in the fridge.
The oil will harden on top.
Then just pour out the water.
Let me know if you need help.

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Thanks. Put it back in mason jar with water. Going to wash it for a couple of days first. Then I’ll have to dry them out. What is the best way to dry buds after a soak? Small fan, no heat?

I do not use or mix water with the coconut oil. The oil is melted in the oven and added to the buds when they are ready. Then the whole mess sits in the oven until ready. Occasionally there is some particles showing on the bottoms of the mason jars. When I am filling a smaller container I pour off from the top and leave the sediment. When close to the bottom of the jar I will use the sediment stuff for my own knees and joints. Anyone who is getting a sample or is compensating me for my time growing and mixing gets the nicer looking salve that is poured off the top.

Water can be used if wanted, it just is not something I want to do during the salve making. I do use water when rendering bacon, ham or chicken fat but that is for cooking. If I was into edibles then I could add some prime weed to any of the animal fats that will later be used for prepping, cooking or flavoring a meal.

Coconut oil’s temp was 190 in crock. Unplugged for a few and it dropped to 160. So I plugged it back in. Crock has a lid so I can keep the smell down. In the oven I doubt I can. Purfume the whole hose. Parrot would get a buzz, fall off his perches. Is 190 too hot for the coconut cannabis concoction???

Coconut oil’s temp was 190 in crock. Unplugged for a few and it dropped to 160. So I plugged it back in. Crock has a lid so I can keep the smell down. In the oven I doubt I can. Purfume the whole hose. Parrot would get a buzz, fall off his perches. Is 190 too hot for the coconut cannabis concoction???
180-190 f is what you want.
Don't let it get over 200f.
Hope your parrot is OK.:rofl:

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Oil went in frig late last night. Maybe 11 hours in the crock pot. I’ll try some today. Yard work to do today. Shoulders will be needing it. Parrot is 27 years old. Never been buzzed that we know about. No other birds here he could buy from.

I am soaking the buds in water so they won’t smell so strongly.
Sorry about that. I had forgotten you mentioning the smell.

I decarb in the oven at approx 180-200 and there is a tremendous amount of odor. Since it is usually winter the windows are closed anyway so nothing outside where a dog walker would notice. Inside the smell drops and goes away quickly when I am done with the decarb stage.

After I add the cooled off flowers to the oil which will be in the oven at 180 for hours and hours the smell drops and is close to disappeared. Plus it seems at least once during the slow cooking oven stage my wife will take it out and slide in trays of cookies or a fruit pie and increase the temp for her baking. That is enough to block any odor from the slow cooking oil and weed when it goes back into the over which is once again at 180.

Back
Top Bottom