Making Feminized seeds on an industrial scale

superflow30

Hi All
I'm trying to find information on how the big boys make feminized seeds. I've done seed runs using CS and STS with success but am curious if anyone knows how they are produced on an industrial scale? Any pics, videos, methods and /or inside info would be appreciated.

I was thinking of the same question lately, just out of curiosity as to how they did it in volume and not because I was interested in developing a strain.

Though, come to think of it, getting several male plants of one of the strains and a whole lot of females of the other side might be the easiest and involve the least amount of a worker's time. Let the plants do it the way nature does.

I was thinking of the same question lately, just out of curiosity as to how they did it in volume and not because I was interested in developing a strain.

Though, come to think of it, getting several male plants of one of the strains and a whole lot of females of the other side might be the easiest and involve the least amount of a worker's time. Let the plants do it the way nature does.
Wouldn't produce feminized seeds. But - yes - easy peezy!

You're probably right. Seems very labor intensive though. Picking through all those branches to get seeds, then sorting and packaging.
Seeds can fall out of the buds while drying, or after dry if they're fully mature.
I've had that happen with seeded outdoor plants. When I had the branches hanging to dry I had a white sheet under them and I would shake them a bit as they dried. A lot of the seeds fell out. Nowhere near all of them of course.
They would have to pick through all the branches to get the reg seeds too. I also had some volunteers pop up in the garden from seeds that fell off before harvest.

Seeds can fall out of the buds while drying, or after dry if they're fully mature.
I've had that happen with seeded outdoor plants. When I had the branches hanging to dry I had a white sheet under them and I would shake them a bit as they dried. A lot of the seeds fell out. Nowhere near all of them of course.
They would have to pick through all the branches to get the reg seeds too. I also had some volunteers pop up in the garden from seeds that fell off before harvest.
So your seeds were regular? I can see that being infinitely easier. True males must blow clouds of pollen with every breeze! Reversed females have a much harder time spitting out pollen if at all. I wonder how the larger operations produce feminized seeds? Do they use STS? CS? How often do they spray? do they collect pollen? Do they grow the females later? lots of questions.

So your seeds were regular? I can see that being infinitely easier. True males must blow clouds of pollen with every breeze! Reversed females have a much harder time spitting out pollen if at all. I wonder how the larger operations produce feminized seeds? Do they use STS? CS? How often do they spray? do they collect pollen? Do they grow the females later? lots of questions.
This might help.

Back
Top Bottom