Man Paralyzed After Raid By Police Suspected Of Selling Marijuana In South Carolina

Jacob Redmond

A Myrtle Beach man who was left paralyzed after being shot by police speaks out on his experience, Myrtle Beach Online reports.

Julian Betton on April 16 was shot several times by members of the 15th Circuit Drug Enforcement Unit inside his Withers Swash apartment. Betton said he heard no knock before walking out of his bathroom that day as he saw smoke and a group of figures come in.

Then came the shots.

"I'm dead," he said. "That was my last thought."

Betton's attorney and a judge signed off on a $25,000 bond agreement for Betton last month.

Prosecutors say Betton, who was armed, fired first- a claim Betton denies. Nonetheless, a prosecutor who reviewed the case said the shootings were justified.

Betton, who has a c*caine trafficking conviction in Ohio, was charged on June 29 with three counts of possession with intent to sell marijuana.

Police said they went to Betton's apartment because they had twice recorded him selling marijuana to a confidential informant. According to court records, the informant bought 7 grams of pot from Betton on March 24 and 8 grams on April 7.

According to Betton, doctors said he was shot at least nine times receiving wounds to his stomach, legs and arms. He also suffered organ damage and spent weeks in a coma.

Kevin Brackett, the prosecutor who reviewed the case, described the event in a letter to SLED.

"The officers of the entry team all stated that almost immediately after entering the apartment Mr. Bretton (sic) appeared and confronted the officers by pointing the handgun at them. Indeed, on the audio portion of Officer Cox's body camera, Mr. Bretton (sic) can be clearly heard acknowledging as much. He indicates that he did not mean to shoot them 'if I did shoot.' He did not fire his weapon but the fact that he did not is of no consequence.

The officers were entitled to defend themselves from the moment he presented a danger to their lives by presenting his weapon."

Bracket also said Betton kept an assault rifle in his home which was surrounded by closed-circuit cameras that would allow him to see who enters.

Still, some believe the shooting was an example of excessive force.

Jonny McCoy, a friend of Betton who practices law, investigated the case along with a private investigator.

"Selling 7 grams of marijuana is against the law," McCoy said. "It's a felony. Selling 8 grams of marijuana is felony and is against the law. But in my seven years of practice I've never seen such an extensive search warrant for such a little amount of weight."

9478.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Man Paralyzed After Raid by Police Suspecting He Was Selling Marijuana / Sputnik International
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Flickr

Re: Man Paralyzed After Raid By Police Suspected Of Selling Marijuana In South Caroli

Shot and paralyzed for having 7 or 8 "grams" of a plant. This insanity needs to stop. How long does it take those cops to dress up in all of that gear? Geeze....

Re: Man Paralyzed After Raid By Police Suspected Of Selling Marijuana In South Caroli

Man, am I glad to live where such absurdities don't, and hopefully can't happen ─ this side of the Atlantic, our reaction is; "Wow, you couldn't make up shit this fucking crazy!

"American exceptionalism?" Yeah, you can keep it!

Get ready US citizens, your marshal law is almost here... better move out before your country implodes under all the corruption and greed. :bongrip:

Vlad

We've been in marshall law since Lincoln in the 1860s. We're used to it by now.

Quote from article:
“The officers of the entry team all stated that almost immediately after entering the apartment Mr. Bretton (sic) appeared and confronted the officers by pointing the handgun at them. Indeed, on the audio portion of Officer Cox’s body camera, Mr. Bretton (sic) can be clearly heard acknowledging as much. He indicates that he did not mean to shoot them ‘if I did shoot.’ He did not fire his weapon but the fact that he did not is of no consequence.

It appears they have audio tape of the Victim/suspect declaring he was armed.

The Victim/Suspect was shot for the gun not the weed.

What I am suspicious about is why they raided his house when they could have picked him up when he was outside at some point in that day.

its like they want the challenge / exercise of the dangerous surprises Raid instead of the safer method of nabbing him while he's outdoors.

It sounds like they kicked his door in.

If they didn't do raids, which are expensive, all that precious massive state funding they get would appear to be wasted and then face cuts next year for not spending all the money.

What a sad story. Dude was protecting his home, probably didn't finish paying off the mortgage yet, and now the government twats swoop in to take everything he had. Forfeiture under draconian marijuana legislation.

This is why in the USA people better buy steel reinforced doors and put bars on the windows, to keep the police out!! :rofl:

Vlad

No, we just need to learn to assert our rights in court to a civilized judge. There are commercial remedies available that can be invoked to hold the judicial system's feet to the fire. When liens are perfected and claimed on financing statements with potential to be sold on securities platforms, the judiciary will behave accordingly and honor our rights. It is very sad that exercising one's freedom is this difficult, but this is the only way.

But under no circumstance what-so-ever should we get mouthy with cops as doing so always leads to personal injury or death. Once dead, do rights really mater if not alive to enjoy them? Gotta pick and choose your battles, and the side of the road is never a good place to be in one.

Back
Top Bottom