Many Serving Sentences For Marijuana Offenses Deserve Clemency

Christine Green

More than 10,000 clemency applicants wake up every day in a federal prison, awaiting an answer from President Obama on whether their lengthy prison sentence will come to an end. Most of them will be crushed when they are eventually denied. There are a few, however, who will realize the unlikely and overwhelming joy of finally being released. I was one of those rare few whose name was on the list of Obama's recent clemency grants. And while I was excited to finally be going home - and extremely grateful to the president - I was also perplexed by those who weren't on the list.

In speaking about criminal justice reform, Obama has highlighted the injustice of incarcerating marijuana offenders for "long stretches," and has described marijuana as being "less harmful than alcohol" and a "vice," not unlike cigarette smoking. He also instructed his Justice Department to not prosecute medical or recreational marijuana sellers who are operating under state law. But his pool of clemency recipients does not reflect these views.

Out of the 306 clemency grants, less than 3 percent were marijuana offenders, and not one of them was a medical marijuana provider, despite being the most deserving given that they were following state law and the Obama administration is no longer prosecuting them.

Some of them are even serving decades in prison.

One such inmate is Ricardo Montes, a Latino serving a harsh mandatory 20-year sentence for operating a medical marijuana dispensary in Modesto under California law. Montes and his co-defendant received the longest sentences ever doled out to any medical marijuana provider, because – during the aggressive George W. Bush administration - they were charged under a fearsome mandatory minimum statue designed for drug kingpins and dangerous cartels.

Individuals like Montes are even more deserving of clemency than I was. Yet I fear that men such as Montes will be left to serve the remainder of their lengthy prison terms, while others reap the rewards of the change in the legal landscape of our nation's marijuana policies. I hope that Obama's remaining clemency grants will reflect his sensible views regarding marijuana, ensuring that our criminal justice system "keeps its basic promise of equal treatment for all."

Alex Contreras of Anchorage, Alaska, a criminal justice reform advocate and former federal inmate serving a 40-year sentence for drug and gun charges, received clemency from President Obama in December 2015.

13758.jpg

News Moderator: Christine Green 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Many serving sentences for marijuana offenses deserve clemency - San Francisco Chronicle
Author: Alex Contreras
Photo Credit: hasbro
Website: San Francisco Chronicle - Bay Area news, sports, tech, food - San Francisco Chronicle

Back
Top Bottom