Marijuana Legalization Could Aid Local Shops

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Berkeley - In a city known for its marijuana culture, a statewide initiative that would legalize recreational marijuana use slated for the November ballot could potentially benefit businesses and dispensaries in Berkeley.

If passed, the Regulate, Control, and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010-approved for the ballot March 24-would decriminalize marijuana for adults over the age of 21, which could diminish the presence of the local black market and boost tax revenues through the potential increase in the number of organizations selling marijuana.

"If you legalize something and tax it, there's less of a reason for people to buy it illegally," said Berkeley City Councilmember Kriss Worthington.

The black market could take a dip if sellers begin to legally distribute marijuana and abide by potential taxes and regulations imposed on the drug.

"Some of the people in the Northern California black market are making business plans to become legitimate as we speak," said UC Berkeley professor of law and public policy Robert MacCoun.

Existing businesses in Berkeley, such as smoke shops, could see increased business opportunities if the initiative passes, according to Sam Raz, a sales representative at Gypsy Trader, a smoke shop in Berkeley.

"I think it would actually help business," Raz said. "If they legalize cannabis, there will be brands manufacturing marijuana cigarettes."

The legalization of marijuana would offer businesses another product to sell, according to Raz.

Jimi Devine, patient outreach coordinator of the Cannabis Buyers Club of Berkeley, said it is unclear how the initiative's passage would impact marijuana dispensaries, but added, "It's a fair estimate that some places selling medical cannabis (could) dispense to a larger population.

"I feel the regulations on the numbers (of dispensaries) would stay the same," Devine said. "Here (in Berkeley) we are already tightly regulated."

Devine added that thousands of people die as a result of violence surrounding cartels in Mexico that supply drugs to the United States and that the U.S. government expends significant resources in keeping marijuana illegal.

However, he said that as a nonprofit organization, the Cannabis Buyers Club is not concerned with whether or not they can sell the drug for profit.

In 1996, California Proposition 215 legalized the sale of marijuana for medical use to those holding identification cards. Should the measure pass in November, California will become the first state to legalize marijuana.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: dailycal.org
Author: Tim Maloney
Copyright: 2010 The Daily California
Website: Marijuana Legalization Could Aid Local Shops - The Daily Californian

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Vote this down in November Brothers and Sisters! It`s a rip off! It`s all about the money. Demand Marijuana be re-legalized! We don`t want Taxed,Controlled,or Regulated! Don`t buy into the hype! Don`t give up your God Given Right to Marijuana Freedom! We WILL overcome!

Vote this down in November Brothers and Sisters! It`s a rip off! It`s all about the money. Demand Marijuana be re-legalized! We don`t want Taxed,Controlled,or Regulated! Don`t buy into the hype! Don`t give up your God Given Right to Marijuana Freedom! We WILL overcome!

:bravo:

:smokin:

It seems to me that having a tax on MMJ is just wrong.

It seems to me that taxing of any kind on MJ will just be the way LEO will justify being involved in my life and yours forever and continue their repression of "Personal Freedoms" via Tax Evasion if you don't have your little Tax Stamps or whatever.

Wasn't Tax Evasion the way the Feds brought down Al Capone during Prohibition? :cool:

I am voting to legalize it. The law is not perfect, but paying 500 an ounce is a far cry from perfect also. I am tired of being ripped off, it's just a damn plant. I can grow enough in a ten by ten area outdoors to last me a year easily and I wont be paying tax, that's for the lazy people that go to the store.

I am voting to legalize it. The law is not perfect, but paying 500 an ounce is a far cry from perfect also. I am tired of being ripped off, it's just a damn plant. I can grow enough in a ten by ten area outdoors to last me a year easily and I wont be paying tax, that's for the lazy people that go to the store.
there are actually people who are too sick or disabled to grow their own. those people are also most likely not to be able to afford buying their meds either in a dispensary or on the street. all the compassionate dispensaries, co-op's, and providers need to start showing some compassion rather than just mouthing the word. we need to take care of our own and show that its about more than money. it is right?

That is all too true, and I forgot about them for a moment, :yikes:pretty bad since I have a sister going through chemo for the fourth time. I still think legalization even with tax is better than the situation now. I already pay tax, the clubs I use charge sales tax on top of 65 an eighth of top shelf. Legalization will bring prices down to something affordable, and it will open up a lot of opportunities for related business. If nothing else, it will kepp countless people out of jail, and that alone is worth paying the tax.

That is all too true, and I forgot about them for a moment, :yikes:pretty bad since I have a sister going through chemo for the fourth time. I still think legalization even with tax is better than the situation now. I already pay tax, the clubs I use charge sales tax on top of 65 an eighth of top shelf. Legalization will bring prices down to something affordable, and it will open up a lot of opportunities for related business. If nothing else, it will kepp countless people out of jail, and that alone is worth paying the tax.

Ouch 65 an eighth. That is way to steep. It goes for 35 an eighth here. hell i used to pay 40-50 on the black market and thought that was to much. 200-250 an OZ. Now there ARE people selling it for more than that, but they are rapidly losing patients. Compassionate care my *ss. There is no way it costs them 600 bucks to grow an ounce of medicine.

Back
Top Bottom