Marijuana Ring Stopped, U.s. Says

GoldChico

A major Arizona-to-Detroit marijuana ring that allegedly generated $178 million in drug proceeds was dismantled Monday, officials say.

It is one of the highest-volume drug rings ever busted in eastern Michigan, said U.S. Attorney Stephen Murphy. The 16-month state and federal investigation resulted from the 2004 arrest of two men from Arizona and Texas and the seizure of $4.8 million from a hotel in Novi and a residence in Northville.

A criminal complaint and indictment unsealed Monday charged 33 people from three states -- Arizona, California and Michigan -- with conspiring to distribute marijuana, money laundering and other charges from 1994 to this year.

Authorities said the ring distributed 33 tons of marijuana in the Detroit area and plotted kidnappings and shootings to carry out its activities.

The indictment accused Quasand D. Lewis, 35, of Detroit of being the ringleader. Israel Corral, 37, of Tucson, allegedly supplied marijuana. Lewis' girlfriend, Saeeda Walker, 36, and her brother, Edward Walker, 34, both of Detroit, allegedly were Lewis' top lieutenants.

Lewis faces the most serious charge -- running a continuing criminal enterprise, which carries a mandatory penalty of life in prison. Lewis and the others face other charges, including conspiracy with intent to possess and distribute drugs, money laundering and using telephones to facilitate a drug conspiracy. The penalties range from 4 to 20 years in prison and fines of up to $4 million.The case started with the arrest of the two men in Novi and Northville in March 2004. Police were called to the StudioPlus Hotel in Novi after a distraught woman told police she thought there was a body in a hotel room. Police didn't find a body, but they found duffel bags containing bundles of money, drug ledgers, a large scale and a lease for a home in Northville, where they found a money counter. Two men were arrested on drug charges. One is awaiting trial; the other was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

The charges unsealed Monday said Novi police also found cellular telephones in the hotel. Investigators used them to track down other alleged members of the drug ring.

The investigation by the Drug Enforcement Administration, Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation, FBI, assistant U.S. Attorney Janice Terbush and other police agencies led to the seizure of 7,800 pounds of marijuana and $7.8 million traffic stops and raids in the last year.

The ring used cars with hidden compartments to carry drugs and money, false identification to travel and telephones with coded conversations to conduct business.

The U.S. Attorney's Office wants ring members to forfeit $3.7 million, five vehicles and 16 houses in Canton, Detroit, Farmington Hills, Lathrup Village, Oak Park, Southfield, and West Bloomfield.

Authorities also are seeking a $178.1-million judgment against Lewis.

Source: Detroit Free Press (MI)
Copyright: 2005 Detroit Free Press
Website: Detroit Free Press - Breaking news, sports, business, entertainment

And just think...that 178 million dollar stash could have been taxed, and that tax money could have gone to fixing up your streets, educating your children, and feeding the homeless....instead, its simlpy burned up and the people owners jailed, putting MORE strain on our tax money since, yup, you guessed it, YOU AND I pay for these prisoners to eat and live.
-PM

Thepurplem0nkey said:
And just think...that 178 million dollar stash could have been taxed, and that tax money could have gone to fixing up your streets, educating your children, and feeding the homeless....instead, its simlpy burned up and the people owners jailed, putting MORE strain on our tax money since, yup, you guessed it, YOU AND I pay for these prisoners to eat and live.
-PM

well said. and if these people were selling weed legally, they wouldnt have commited those other crimes, and still be just as rich... maybe even richer.

If drugs are to be illegal, we should only arrest those who are putting others in danger.

I hate reading about these busts, makes me depressed.

life isnt fair.
i keep telling myself that but sometimes i just wanna pound a DEA agent in the face.

Back
Top Bottom