MauveFarmers: Tips N Tricks!

Mauvefarmer

Plant of the Month: Second Place Winner
Hello everyone! through out the years of growing i picked up a couple cool trick to bump up your yield! I will be placing all my tips and trick here on this thread!!

Maximize Oxygen in your soil!

I've read so many books and magazines i'm like and human dictionary for cannabis!
this little trick i'm about to show you i picked up from "soma's book: Organic Marijuana, Soma Style" in the book he constructs a growing bed in a special fashion to maximize the oxygen in your soil! I'm going to show you how to create a smaller vision of this in buckets!!

Supplies needed:
-Hydro coral
-PVC piping
-Plastic chicken wire
-felt or rooting cloth

the buckets are set up in layers
-hyro coral
-plastic chicken wire
-felt
-soil

at the bottom you will place 5 cups of hydro coral. place 2 PVC pipes in two corners .25 inche into the hyro coral PVC pipes should come to the top of the bucket.
Picture_065_s.jpg

cut out notches in the chicken wire to make room for the PVC pipes and cut the chicken wire to fit into the bucket. place in the plastic chicken wire.
Picture_067_s.jpg

now cut out one sheet on felt same size as the plastic chicken wire and place on top of the chicken wire. this will keep the soil from dropping into the hydro coral but light enough for air to pass through.
Picture_069_s.jpg

finally place your soil into the bucket! the PVC pipes will come out from the soil so air can pass through them.

This menthod will insure maximum oxygen to the root zone, and it will keep a newbie from over watering! Air pass through the PVC pipes giving constent air flow from the top and bottom of your medium. as we all know cannabis loves water and oxygen, keep them happy with this bucket setup!!

If anyone wants to know something about my grow OP please feel free to ask!

How Long do you cook your soil for?? huh? yea i said it "cooking soil"!

Let's get those Beneficials (bacteria and fungi) thriving by cooking your soil!
i don't literally mean get a pan and turn on the stove, It's more like composting but with the soil your going to use.

Supplies needed:
-NEW trash can with a lid (20 gals or more)
-Roots soil
-perlite
-Budswell super tea (dry)
-budswell guano (dry)
-fox farm starter
-dolomite lime

this mix is for my budding plants, i use plain roots soil for veg.
i mix each component in a 1 gal bucket and place the mix into the trash bin as follows:

3 cups of perlite
2 TBS of Budswell guano
1 TBS of Budswell supertea
1 TBS of fox farm starter
1/4 TBS Dolomite lime
top of with roots soil (a hepping bucket)

with each gal of mix you make besure to add 500 ml of special water!

special water:
Advanced Nutrients B-52 2ml/L
Advanced Nutrients voodoo juice 2ml/L
Advanced Nutrients budcandy or carboload 2ml/L
PH balance water

this speciall water will speed up the breakdown!

once you've made as much as you need (i recomend filling the whole 20 gal trash bin) you will want to besure that the mix is mixed really well and placed out side. if you live in a hot climate keep the trash bin in the shade it should get hot enough for the soil to cook. if you live in a colder climate make sure that the trash bin can warm up by placing it in the sun. I like to cook the soil for about three weeks before transplanting.
By cooking your soil the Beneficials will break down the nutrients farther, giving the plants more useable nutrients to your plants faster. by doing this you'll see that your plant will not strench as much and the plant and thrive right away because the nutrients will be more available for the plant to uptake. I have noticed a huge difference from cooking and not cooking soil!

Any questions please feel free to ask!
-Mauve

Nice tips. Do you put the soil from the second tip into your custom pots mentioned in the first post?

Truly, a compost bin on the side of your house is one of the best things you can do for mother nature as well as your garden. You'll never have to buy potting soil again.

Munki: your correct you can use the soil above to place into the custom buckets!!

TheCriMsonK20:You should try it out you'll be Very happy with the results!! let me know how it grows:)

CharlieMopps: So true!! love soil can't get better tasting buds plus like u said it's a win win for mother nature and for us growers!!

Mauve

Truly, a compost bin on the side of your house is one of the best things you can do for mother nature as well as your garden. You'll never have to buy potting soil again.

I wish the gov't would subsidize at least part of the cost of those plastic compost bins. They are expensive but look to do the aeration job well.

I think i will be building a compost box very soon, all i need is 5 pieces of 3'x3'x1/2" plywood and some gorilla glue.

Even if it is simple, could you take some pics and do a "how to" on how you make it? I want one but want to make sure it is easy to aerate the compost.

will do! give me a day or two and i will post up pix and how i made a revoling trash bin! with thick PVC piping! thick dole rods might work better if you live in a HOT climate!

I'm in southern California but nearer to the beach so temps stay pretty moderate. Start a new thread when you do post it with a descriptive title so others will be able to find it easily. It could get "stickied" into a forum which would be cool.

Supplies needed:
-NEW trash can with a lid (20 gals or more)
-Roots soil
-perlite
-Budswell super tea (dry)
-budswell guano (dry)
-fox farm starter
-dolomite lime

3 cups of perlite
2 TBS of Budswell guano
1 TBS of Budswell supertea
1 TBS of fox farm starter
1/4 TBS Dolomite lime
top of with roots soil (a hepping bucket)

Any questions please feel free to ask!
-Mauve

Im sorry im so new to all this, "Roots Soil" is this a specific brand like "Roots Organic"
I buy the Roots Organic brand here at the local hydro store.
???

that is correct ROOTS Organic brand! you should beable to get it at your local hydro store! best stuff out there! fox farm is good to but i prefer ROOTS they have better ratio of nutes in the soil.

IM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN HELP BUT I THINK MY PLANTS ARE NOT GOING SO WELL, HERE ARE SOME PICS. IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A SUGGESTION AS TO WHATS GOING ON I WILL APPRECIATE IT
purp61 - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Hello, gman27!
myself also newbie, just it looks like the problem I had. Here is the thing - for two weeks I have grown my babies in natural sunlight near the window. Unfortunately here the sunlight appears to be rare and they slowed their development, wilted and become yellowish. After a purchase of proper light they started as normal!
About publishing you pictures in the thread, go to your gallery, load the picture, right click and find the URL address. Copy it and paste it in the message text, bounded by [ IMG ] here paste your pic [ /IMG ] tags.

Good luck!

IM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN HELP BUT I THINK MY PLANTS ARE NOT GOING SO WELL, HERE ARE SOME PICS. IF YOU CAN GIVE ME A SUGGESTION AS TO WHATS GOING ON I WILL APPRECIATE IT
purp61 - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

You should start a new thread in "Problems, Pests, and disease control" forum.

Not an expert myself but what is your water source? Is it tap? If so, did you at least get some test strips or pH drops so you could know the pH of the source water? This is important. My tap pH is basic and above 8. Using that water can lock up or make some nutrients unavailable to plants as the nutrients form into insoluble salts. In soil, it does not need to be very low, 6.5 is about right I think.

So, start a new thread in the other forum and people more skilled than I can chime in on your problem. Oh, welcome to the 420 forums! :welcome:

oh shit!! my first question is do you have a water softer? and are you using the water that come from the water softer? those look just like my buddy plants when he first started and the problem was salt build up from his water softer. it locks out the nutrients!!

second: what kind of soil? and what kind of nutes are you using?

Third: i might be nitrogen def. if the soil your using does have the proper elements!

Let me know and i can help!!

oh shit!! my first question is do you have a water softer? and are you using the water that come from the water softer? those look just like my buddy plants when he first started and the problem was salt build up from his water softer. it locks out the nutrients!!

second: what kind of soil? and what kind of nutes are you using?

Third: i might be nitrogen def. if the soil your using does have the proper elements!

Let me know and i can help!!

Those plants are so young, it is hard to believe that the soil is deficient in N. Much more likely that the nutes are locked up or he is using soft water.

yea but look at his pix, that soil is not normal.... looks dry to.. you can really tell by the picture next to the yellow plants, that plant has some good soil it looks like. But i really do think it might be salt build up and its locking out the nutes.

Back
Top Bottom