Measuring nutes? Pipettes or what?

SauronBlue

So, I'm searching for a way to measure my nutes in levels between .25 ml to 5-10ml quickly without those stupid plastic bulbs, like what comes free with ph kits.
3146c1Y2qdL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember those funky thumb-press eyedropper things that always squirted a certain amount of liquid in high-school biology lab, and start searching online. I come across these things called pipettors that look exactly like what I remember, but they cost like $150 at the low end, and measure in microliters, 9which are 1/1000 of a milliliter), and generally dispense less than 1/10 of a ml.
unnamed4.jpg

I have managed to find a type of pipette that holds up to 10ml, but you must either roll the dial with your thumb, or pull a plunger. I'm planning on getting one of these with a few extra tips, but I was wondering how others measured their nutes? I didn't see anything like this on any hydro sites, so I'm guessing most people don't use these things.
B9TED8QBmk_KGrHqR_h4EzL_s1ibjBM5_u8SnhQ_0_1.JPG

So I'm wondering what you guys are using to get the right nutrient levels, when they ask for .5-5ml per liter in most cases. I'm mixing in 2l bottles right now because I have a pretty small setup going, only 5 plants that are a week from germination. I don't see any advantage to filling bigger containers, like 5gal buckets or more, cuz then I gotta move all that every time I wanna water something or fill a water jug. I would also not have my nutes mixed and in water for longer than reasonably necessary in order to reduce any chances of algae or whatever, or loss of potency.

I just use oral syrynges from the drug store, Usually you can even get a few for free from them if you ask. Theyre 10ml, and its easy to see if you only need like .5ml. Give em a try. They even have the rubber plunger so they last a long time. I been using the same set now for a year. Anyway, just a thought for ya
Datrippp

I just use oral syrynges from the drug store, Usually you can even get a few for free from them if you ask. Theyre 10ml, and its easy to see if you only need like .5ml. Give em a try. They even have the rubber plunger so they last a long time. I been using the same set now for a year. Anyway, just a thought for ya
Datrippp

^^^^^^Word^^^^^^ +rep

Even if you have to buy them, they're less than $2 or so.

DD

^^^^^^Word^^^^^^ +rep

Even if you have to buy them, they're less than $2 or so.

DD

I looked at the oral syringes, but they are pretty short. How do you get the bottom of a gallon bottle with that? I went with the pipettor and a 10ml pipette, and the thing is like 2 feet long, and since the tube is long and thin, rather than short and fat, it is really easy to get an exact reading. Plus i have really easy one-handed operation with no loss in accuracy. suck up, measure and release easily while holding the bottle or a camera in your other hand. worth the 15 bucks I spent for the 3 pipettes(the tube part) and the quick release pipettor. I got a couple extra in case one breaks, plus they were really cheap.
2011-11-07_19_38_19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom