Medical Marijuana Patients Suffering Police Harassment

At a glance, I would appear to be a pretty average grandfather, enjoying his golden years.

But as I prepare to go to my grandson's Blue and Gold dinner for his promotion from the Cub Scouts to the Boy Scouts, I'm struck by a glaring incongruity.

I could miss that Scout dinner – because I could, at any moment, be arrested and dragged off to jail.

Before you say in shocked tones, "Well, it's pretty irresponsible of you to be breaking the law, especially at your age!", let me quickly tell you:

I'm not breaking the law.

As a legal medical marijuana patient in the state of Washington — whose voters approved a ballot initiative legalizing medicinal pot 12 years ago — you might think I no longer have to worry about that fateful knock on the door.

Do you know what I mean? According to statistics, about half of you do.

It's that knock when a police officer — who may be stopping by for some perfectly innocent reason — smells marijuana in your home, which gives him "probable cause" to search the place.

"But wait a minute," you might say. "You just told me you were a legal medical marijuana patient. Doesn't legal mean, well, legal?"

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't.

Not in the state of Washington, when it comes to medical marijuana.

According to a recent Washington Supreme Court decision, police can get a search warrant, enter and search your home, arrest you, handcuff you and take you to jail, every time they smell pot — even if you are a legal patient carefully abiding by the rules put forth by the state.

Does that seem a little crazy to you? You're not the only one.

When you consider that Washington's medical marijuana law — one of the strictest in the nation, when it comes to "qualifying conditions" — requires that patients have a "terminal or debilitating illness" in order to be eligible, this isn't just a crazy scenario.

It's downright cruel.

In a state with severe budget difficulties — so bad that Gov. Christine Gregoire has been forced to slash budgets, shut down state parks, and discontinue programs designed to help the homeless — we are told that it's perfectly OK and perfectly legal for police officers to spend public resources searching, harassing, and arresting sick and dying legal medical marijuana patients.

In what universe does this make sense? The one where ivory-tower supreme court justices are fluent in legalese, but maybe not so adept at interpreting plain English, and sussing out the will of the voters when they passed this law in 1998.

In an extremely narrow and legalistic interpretation of Washington's medical marijuana law, the state Supreme Court said the law provides only an "affirmative defense" in court, and gives no protection at all from arrest, from search, and, let's face it — in some rural counties, from infinite harassment.

Unfortunately, many law enforcement authorities, especially in rural Washington, just aren't comfortable with marijuana, medical or not. They aren't happy that pot was legalized for medical purposes, and they are suspicious of anyone who'd have anything to do with it.

Some police officers see the Supreme Court decision as a green light. Now they can, to their hearts' content, harass medical marijuana patients endlessly. If, motivated by intolerance, revenge, you name it, they decide to arrest the same patient, over and over, because his or her home smells like marijuana? They get to do that, as many times as they'd like — with no legal repercussions.

Yes, it's been 12 years since Washingtonians voted to legalize medical marijuana. For more than a decade, the people of Washington have mistakenly believed that protecting seriously ill medical marijuana patients from arrest and jail was a done deal.

That would be nice if it were true. But right now, instead of directing our dwindling energies on healing and being comfortable, every medical marijuana patient in Washington has to worry about being arrested.

Now, excuse me while I open the windows to air this place out. I'd hate to spend the night in jail, instead of going to my grandson's Scout ceremony.

For those of us on the front lines, fearing arrest at every moment, medical marijuana still feels like a battle we have yet to win.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: News Junkie Post
Author: Steve Elliott
Copyright: 2010 NEWSJUNKIEPOST.com
Website: Medical Marijuana Patients Suffering Police Harassment

very good to have read this and yes they do waste the money , but i am on both sides if people think they can grow just for the soul purpose of makin money , then yes i say illegal but if we as patients need the meds then they need to have some very clear guidelines for the law-enforcement officers , the banks are worried about the link to these dispensaries but yet take deposits from liqour stores and sure why not the government bailed them out , non -profit at 420 an oz, no i think not but if they have to pay for the services with no help from the goverment in the form of grants to open actual grow shops that can be monitored with state regulations .i think it is better to have in our situations , some prob cant function without the help.

hey ganjarden,i am confussed.do you live in washington state or maryland?i too am a medical marijuana patient here in washington state and a grandpa as well!! i don't hear about that problem (harassment)from the people in my circle. i read all the info i can about our MMJ. i like what a police chief from T-Town(tacoma) said."as long as you are doing this right,and not being greedy no one is going to be bothering you.the key word is "greedy".they(as the law reads) say one person can have up to 12 plants.that seems fair to me.any thing more would be greedy in my book as well. please try not to worry.if you are old enough to be a grandpa,you should be old enough to know how to "be cool "about your smoking habbits.that same police chief said he didn't want his force wasting money chasing down legal users.all this info was in a story in last weeks newsletter. anyway,just play it cool and you should'nt have any problems. stay healthy,MR

hey ganjarden,i am confussed.do you live in washington state or maryland?.......

we don't write the articles, we search them out and post them. you can find the source info at the bottom of each article.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: News Junkie Post
Author: Steve Elliott
Copyright: 2010 NEWSJUNKIEPOST.com
Website: Medical Marijuana Patients Suffering Police Harassment

It's the Velcro Rules or Laws " what is the law or rules for one may be changed or dismissed for others" We all have seen it ,You Know some one at work,school or in General that has gotten away with cheating,breaking the law or KNOWING some one with the "PULL". Say it not so!...F+*&K'n Law's! Sorry you had to suffer that. Remember Karma has no eye's and it will be O.K. Just keep the Windows open! wildman:popcorn:

News Moderator, thanks for posting this article and helping to get the word out.

Mello Redneck, you're lucky you live in Tacoma instead of in Kitsap County or pretty much anywhere in rural Eastern Washington.

The "just play it cool and you won't have any problems" attitude really IS the problem. It's the selfish people who say "as long as they aren't fucking with me, then everything is fine" who make it really hard for patients who live in backward counties to get their rights.

hey i don't live in t town,i live in a rural town on western side.i still say "be cool and they won't mess with you.and if they do want to mess with me so be it.i'm sure the "bust"couldn't be much unless i was greedy. so there,if you can't take the heat of 12 plants, don't mess with it..sorry for being snippy but i know what rural living is and how to "be cool" and not draw any heat. and i'm not afraid to sit in the can for something i believe in. take care,MR

You are Correct ,We all have to be cool,I live in a Town of 22,500 or so and I have 6 plants and NO ONE KNOWS, I do not Bragg,tell or show anyone and a couple of my buddy are asking were are you getting the smoke. I just laugh and puff ,puff & pass:grinjoint:

Be cool is the RULE ,I live in Texas (THC)=They Hate Cannabis,HAHA Why? I guess they have Tired old ethical ways. I'm Emailing Senator,Congressional Persons and the Governor with in information (FYI) I use the Library's Computers and we do not have to sign in with real names, I love the sneakiness of it,

You can write all the letters you want to anyone you want. They are not going to legalize it. They get way too much funding from the Feds to give it up.

it's amazing how they can harrass people who are doing it legally where are the police when the millions of restraining orders are violated and people are hauled off in body bags and young children ar being abused at the hands of reportedly abusive parents go figure whats more important.

hey i don't live in t town,i live in a rural town on western side.i still say "be cool and they won't mess with you.and if they do want to mess with me so be it.i'm sure the "bust"couldn't be much unless i was greedy. so there,if you can't take the heat of 12 plants, don't mess with it..sorry for being snippy but i know what rural living is and how to "be cool" and not draw any heat. and i'm not afraid to sit in the can for something i believe in. take care,MR

The limit is actually 15 plants.

As far as "be cool and not draw any heat," that's no problem when someone lives, as you do, in a place where law enforcement is already cool with it.

Try living in some of the counties where that's not the case, and it's a whole different story.

It's just a little ironic that someone living in a county that's already cool, law enforcement wise, would feel it necessary to congratulate themselves on "being cool and not drawing any heat," when actually it's pretty damn easy when they give you a plant limit and a weight limit. It ain't rocket science, friend.

wow alapoet,sorry you feel that way.i am in no way "congratulating" myself on having it easy.....if you are so worried ,get a good lawyer who would love to cover your case, probley pro bono(i think thats free) and take a stand... i don't really know if the local cops are ok with people growing or not. thats the secret....lay low and as much as you don't like this line"be cool about it" hang on man things could be worst...MR:peacetwo:

redneck, I am not "so worried" about anything, when it comes to myself.

you seem to be under the impression that (maybe like you?) I don't really care about what happens to other patients, as long as I'm fine.

well, I that's not how I roll, homie. I'm not shutting up about it until every medical marijuana patient is safe in their homes.

Every ONE MUST BE SAFE IN THERE OWN HOME'S*110%** I'm a Veteran and I put my LIFE ON THE LINE SO ALL American caan be safe to enjoy the RIGHT to Choose Period!:cheer:

Back
Top Bottom