Mexico City to Decriminalize Marijuana Possession?

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
While the government of Mexican President Felipe Calderon has signaled that it wants to decriminalize drug possession, legislators in Mexico City aren't waiting for the government to act. The left-leaning Democratic Revolutionary Party (PRD) has introduced legislation that would decriminalize marijuana possession in Mexico City and provide for the opening of establishments that would sell up to five grams per person, the same limit as Holland's famous marijuana coffee shops.

The legislation was presented by PRD Deputy and Federal District Legislative Assembly President Victor Hugo Cirigo on October 14. It includes a provision limiting the amount of pot one could possess without penalty to 30 grams, or slightly more than one ounce. Cirigo said the legislation also envisions allowing people to grow up to five plants in their homes.

Under current law, marijuana is illegal, and the importation of seeds or other products derived from marijuana is also illegal. In Mexico City, people caught smoking marijuana are typically fined 21 to 30 days minimum salary (a common way of computing fines in Latin America) or jailed for 24 to 36 hours.

Cirigo told a press conference he was proposing the legislation because of the therapeutic uses of the herb. He also cited its potential impact on Mexico's drug trafficking organizations. Nearly 4,000 people have been killed so far this year in prohibition-related violence as the various so-called cartels, Mexican state, local, and federal police forces, and the Mexican military engage in a multi-sided war over the illicit drug trade.

"In Italy and Canada they utilize it for therapeutic uses, and in other countries like Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, and Portugal it is decriminalized," said Cirigo.

Cirigo said organized crime is making $13 billion a year off the drug trade. More than half of that -- $8 billion -- is derived from the marijuana business, he said.

"We are going to hit the drug traffickers where it hurts most, which is decriminalizing marijuana," he said.

If the measure were to pass in the local legislative assembly, it would then be sent to the federal congress, which could then amend federal health laws to allow for decriminalization. President Calderon called recently for the decriminalization of possession of small amounts of all drugs, including up to two grams of marijuana, but Cirigo called Calderon's proposal "weak and timid."

In response to a question during the press conference, Cirigo said he had smoked pot as a youth, but no longer did so. "I smoked in my youth in the '70s," he said. "I was class of 1978, and of course I know what it is to smoke marijuana."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Copyright: 2008 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: Latin America: Mexico City to Decriminalize Marijuana Possession?

The tides are turning everywhere in the world. Does is seem like the people are FINALLY waking up? And i dont think i agree that there are TOO many people in mexico, just Too many people living below the poverty line. Decriminalization would revive the Mexican economy and do so much good through taxes. I hope this goes through...

I think there are too many people in Mexico City not too many in the Country of Mexico

Mexico City the largest city in the world with 21 million people, has 50% unemployment and the worlds worst air pollution. It's so bad, they are doing case studies because the population is losing the ability to smell.

At least they'll get their legal green to make it all bearable

GAIA Case Study: Mexico Urban air pollution in Mexico City

Video: Air Pollution Means Mexico City Residents Losing Sense of Smell | EarthTrends

The link goes to the most populated cities wherein you can find Mexico city at #10. List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seoul is actually a bit more populated, and it's not all that dirty. It is polluted, but it's not all that bad. Having a high population doesn't automatically give it the worst air pollution.

That being said, if they legalize it, maybe I should take a second look at some of those TOEFL jobs in Mexico if they pass this. It's going on to two years I've been living in cities where MJ is virtually non-existent - at least at the street level. I smelt a grow room in Korea once, but what do I do, go door to door, "Hey, do you have an MJ grow-room going on here or what?" It had to be on the second or third floor - ground floor would've been easy for me to find. In any case, would be nice to have the world's most popular antidepressant available to me again, especially if it's legal.

Sounds like a new place to party would be a big boom to Mexico's economy I would make a trip and enjoy freedom the way it should be. If Mcsame wins with his sidkick Drilling lady I will move to the south.

The proposal in Mexico confirms that they too see the value in having their / US Dollars kept out of the hands of the NarcoTraficantes, and more back into the local municipalities, to further stimulate the economics of many regions.

Again A preemptive move we will all see as
The world turns to a " UNITED STATES of CANEXICO"

Wow! Still can't believe it!???! Don't trust John Walters and the U.S Gov't though... :hmmmm:

Now let's hope they turn tide all over the Globe and that this extends across the U.S. AND Canada for everyone to have access as needed! :ganjamon:

Love and a squish.

Alison
xx

Back
Top Bottom