Michigan: Mayor Not Worried About Speaking At Hash Bash

Jacob Redmond

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero said he's never smoked marijuana, but is eager to deliver a message of support to Hash Bash attendees in Ann Arbor on Saturday.

He wants the recreational use of marijuana legalized in Michigan and isn't worried about the political risks of attending the 44th annual event.

"You start taking risks when you get up in the morning," Bernero said.

The mayor is expected to speak sometime between noon and 2 p.m. Saturday at the Diag, the main pedestrian walkway on the University of Michigan's campus. Comedian Tommy Chong, a pro-marijuana activist, is the scheduled keynote speaker.

Other topics Bernero could address include Lansing's efforts to decriminalize small amounts of the drug and the benefits he believes the state would reap if tax money from legal recreational marijuana is reinvested in communities.

"I'm advocating for sane, sustainable, enforceable policy," he said.

Bernero's visit to the festival comes as support appears to be growing for a possible 2016 ballot initiative that would allow recreational use of the drug in Michigan.

Medical marijuana has been legal in Michigan since 2008 and requires residents to have a doctor's approval and a state-issued identification card.

Lansing already allows limited use of marijuana beyond the medicinal. Voters passed a City Charter amendment in 2013 that says nothing in its code of ordinances shall apply to the use, possession or transfer of less than one ounce of marijuana on private property by a person at least 21 years old.

The charter change, however, doesn't prevent a resident who possesses marijuana from being charged with a crime under state or federal law.

"We have an obligation to lead on this issue," Bernero said. "The federal government is not going to lead; it's going to follow. Cities and states are going to lead the way, and Lansing is going to lead the way on marijuana sanity."

City Council member Jody Washington said Bernero's Hash Bash appearance is embarrassing and shows he's not paying attention to bigger issues facing his constituents like income inequality and neighborhood safety.

Washington said she doesn't care if recreational marijuana becomes legal, but understands why it's supported for medical use. "I'm not thinking it's the best face for Lansing for the guy that's dubbed the 'angriest mayor in the country' to be advocating for pot," Washington said. "We have bigger issues at home."

Bernero says he is in tune with what's going on, and noted that 66% of Washington's 1st Ward constituents voted in favor of the 2013 charter change. Overall, nearly 62% of Lansing voters supported the amendment.

The mayor made it clear publicly in recent months and on his Facebook page that he believes the war on marijuana has failed.

"I hear the term 'Free the weed,' Bernero said. "For me, what that really means is free the people, free the talent, free the entrepreneurship, free up job opportunities, clean up our neighborhoods, free up prison space."

Lansing resident Brian Hamilton, 38, appreciates Bernero's position and said it suggests Michigan is "really close" to having legal recreational marijuana.

About a week ago, Hamilton opened Puff-n-Stuff, a "provisional center" for medical marijuana cardholders which serves up to 50 patrons daily.

"Having the mayor at Hash Bash will be a big statement for Lansing," Hamilton said. "We're the capital of Michigan, so if anything happens in Michigan we should be at the forefront. Why wouldn't we?"

Former Hash Bash organizer Adam Brook is looking forward to hearing what Bernero has to say, but doubtful it will make much of an impact.

"I can appreciate the mayor coming to event, but now this is a political issue," Brook said. "He's looking for votes – whether it's for him or people he supports. That's what politicians do.

"My question: What's he going to do for us as the weed people?"

Bernero said he's determined to follow the "clear direction" he's received from the public about marijuana policy and will make sure low-level use of the drug is not a priority of the Lansing Police Department.

And for those skeptical of Bernero's timing, he claims this Hash Bash appearance isn't part of a political power play to get a new job.

Bernero has been mayor since 2006 and his current term ends in 2017. He ran for governor in 2010 and lost to Gov. Rick Snyder, who is now in his second term.

"I intend to be mayor, and I"m happy in my job," Bernero said of his future. "It's the best job I've ever had."

13707.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Lansing mayor not worried about speaking at Hash Bash
Author: The Associated Press
Photo Credit: W.R. Richards

Back
Top Bottom