Micro box heat source

sfgiantsfan

Hey Folks! Merry Christmas!

So I grow in the winter in my garage. The climate I live in gets pretty hot so it's not productive, maybe not even possible, to grow in the warmer months in my garage.

Since I switched to LED lighting, lack of heat is an issue. While my garage never gets below about 50 degrees, that's too freakin cold for our plant of choice. Due to my keeping things on the down low, I can't run my lights on during the cooler temps like I used to so I need to follow the daylight/nighttime hours. I get up early so it allows me plenty of time to garden before my son gets up.

To combat the heating issue, I looked at several options. I fashioned up a very small space heater to an intake to blow warm air at the vent holes but that made me nervous. But I did find one solution that is working for me that I haven't seen used on any other forum so I wanted to share it with you.

Again my setup is in my garage with an average ambient temperature of about 52 degrees during a 24 hour period. My goal was to keep the temps from getting below 60 degrees and not over 80 although a bit over would be fine.

I looked into a reptile radiant heating "bulb" that emits no light, only heat. I was nervous about it but I found one, in a very small self-contained cage that looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a go. After about 3 weeks or so, I'm happy to say this has worked great for me and my application. It's 100w, I set it up on a thermostat/timer and I setup a computer fan to gently blow the warm air down toward the plants. It's located directly between the cross angle aluminum of my lights. No shade is created by it at all.

My box is like 30" x 30" inches and 50" tall and this does the trick, safely.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Here's the "bulb":
718dOj5fmKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IMG_20191225_050712.jpg

IMG_20191225_050724.jpg
IMG_20191225_051021.jpg

Does it emit infrared light, looked on Amazon and it appears to be a ceramic heater. If not is it a positive or negative especially during the off cycle of the 12/12 flowering period.

Most of the reptile lights put out a good amount of UV light and prolonged exposure to this appears from my experiments to be bad for trichome development.
Keeping a tent area warm is a fairly easy thing to do. I have a little Vornado space heater... just a tiny thing actually, and I wired one side of the ac plug into an analog 120v furnace thermostat. This makes my little space heater a lot smarter, and in combination with the oscillating fans in my grow tent, it distributes the heat quite nicely and I am easily and economically able to keep that 56 square feet (2x4x7 tent) at a nice steady 75 degrees

I'm in the same boat as you. But in a 3x3 tent. I turn off my exhaust and leave an opening in the tent door temps stay perfect and even helps with the RH as it's very dry in the winter here.

I have a sensorpush in my box and the battery had worn down. As such I was getting an erroneous humidity reading much higher than it was. I changed the battery, recalibrated it and the added benefit of the ceramic heater is that my humidity is significantly lower than ambient. I'm sold.

Back
Top Bottom