Milwaukee combo meter question

This meter right?

MJ_604_1.jpg

I use the solutions from General Hydro.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS

I've only tested the calibration once to make sure it was correct. As long as you keep the probe wet (keep it in a glass of tap water when not in use) you won't have to calibrate. Spot on accurate right out of the box.

SF

I've only tested the calibration once to make sure it was correct. As long as you keep the probe wet (keep it in a glass of tap water when not in use) you won't have to calibrate. Spot on accurate right out of the box.

SF

SF, I have to respectivly disagree. I also have this meter, and since I calibrated it has never been off, however, you should be checking the cailibration at least once if month, if not weekly. After all, it only takes a few mins. And as I'm sure u know, the PPM, and especially the PH are very important to our ladies.

SF, I have to respectivly disagree. I also have this meter, and since I calibrated it has never been off, however, you should be checking the cailibration at least once if month, if not weekly. After all, it only takes a few mins. And as I'm sure u know, the PPM, and especially the PH are very important to our ladies.

PP4F.

No problem man. Appreciate your feedback.

Well here's a little more info. When I purchased this meter and received it, I was clueless as to what we were discussing here about calibration, when and how often. I gave Milwaukee Instruments a call and spoke with Dwayne at tech support. He gave me a couple of tricks and tips and mentioned that the meter should hold it's calibration for a very long time, he said the key to this is to keep the probe always wet (he said get a glass and fill it with tap water, use this to "store" your probe).

I'm not saying that you never calibrate, the first sign for me would be an odd PH number that I'm not accustom to seeing. I've run two calibrations "tests" in the last 6-7 months I've been storing the probe in the water. They both have returned 7.01, so I'm only speaking from what I've witnessed.

I do stand corrected about the probe not coming with a testing solution. I remembered (stoner moment) that I ordered the General Hydro stuff prior to receiving the 802 and didn't know that it came with its own.

I don't know if this is the "right" way to do things, I'm only speaking from my personal experience with the meter so far. Let me know!

Thanks PP4F for bringing this up!

Much Love.
SF

From Milwaukee Instruments Site

FAQ on PH Meters and Testers
Q. Why is it important to keep my ph probe wet?
A. All ph probes use a cloth junction in the construction of the probe. This cloth is part of the diagnostic process in reading
the ph. If the cloth becomes dry the unit will not be able to read.

Q. What is the difference between "Single Point" and "Two Point" calibration units in accuracy?

A. Single point is almost always done at the 7.0 position. Single point is fine as long as the area you are testing is within the
neutral zone of 6.0 to 8.0 however 90% of everything we test in agriculture is acidic and for accuracy you need to have two
point calibration. That is why most Milwaukee Instruments come with a 2 point calibration procedure and most of our units
are provided with both 7.01 and 4.01 calibration solution.

Q. Why is it important to have a full range pH meter ( 0 to 14 ) when my test range is ( 4 to 10 ) ?
A. If a pH meter has a limited range such as 4 to 10 almost always the closer you get to the end of the range the less
accurate your reading will be. Most of these limited range meters either can not be calibrated or are single point calibrated
at 7.0 & they are not as accurate as full range meters

Q. How much effect does temperature of the solution have on pH accuracy?
A. Most pH meters are set for a optimum temperature of 77 F and have very little degradation between 45 F and 85 F

Q. How long will my pH probe last?
A. All Milwaukee Instruments a warranted for 1 year and should last from 18 to 24 months if the probe is kept wet in the
proper storage solution and kept clean

Q. How can I test the life left in my probe?

A. A simple test can be performed using Windex glass cleaner with ammonia and any type of soft drink The procedure is
as follows: Turn your meter or tester on and place the probe in a soft drink which is acidic and the reading will be from 2.7
to 3.9 then go to the Windex with ammonia which is alkaline. Your dis play should move very quickly up the scale to 10.5 —
11.8 If the probe slowly moves up the scale then it is time to consider replacing it.

Q. Do I have to calibrate before each use?

A. No, most units hold calibration very well. If you are using your unit every day then check it once a week. If you get a
reading that is above or below what you were expecting then check the calibration at that point and retest your solution.

Q. There are many different brands of pH calibration solution to choose from, can I use one made from a company
other than Milwaukee Instruments?

A. Yes and No: All manufacturers of meters and testers will tell you to use their specific calibration solution. That being
said then Yes; most meter and tester manufacturers use the same calibration solution mix and quality control for there own
meters so a 7.01 or 4.01 for Milwaukee and a 7.01 or 4.01 for Oakton or Hanna are close enough to the same quality to be
interchangeable. No, in that companies that DO NOT manufacture their o wn line of meters and testers do not understand
and do not have the quality control necessary for production of the correct calibration solution As a manufacturer, the use
of the wrong calibration solution by the public is one of our biggest problems.

Q. How do I know what calibration solution to use with my meter?
A. You can find a Calibration and Probe reference chart for all of our units under the Technical Tips tab on our web site at
Milwaukee Instruments - PH Testers

Q. Can I reuse my pH calibration solution.
A. No, evaporation and contamination quickly change the mix.

Q. What are the symptoms of weak batteries?
A. For the end user to be assured that the readings are accurate and not worry about battery strength all Milwaukee
Instruments units are designed to shut down when the batteries become too weak to give an accurate reading.

Q. My pH meter has a little mold or dirt on the white strip and bulb will that affect the performance?
A. Yes, you can clean the probe in Isopropyl Alcohol ( rubbing alcohol ): Put the probe in full strength for 10 min. stirring
gently then rinse well in tap water and let sit in Bottle Drinking Water ( RO water ) for 2 hours and then recalibrate.

Hey SF I just got the Milwaukee tds T75 & the ph checker ph51 they say before I calibrate I need to set in a solution they didn't send me. Please if u have any info on these it would be greatly appreciated. also said I need to keep wet. In their solution or can I use something else.
Thanx brotha

Hey SF I just got the Milwaukee tds T75 & the ph checker ph51 they say before I calibrate I need to set in a solution they didn't send me. Please if u have any info on these it would be greatly appreciated. also said I need to keep wet. In their solution or can I use something else.
Thanx brotha

Hey BB.

Looks like you'll need this calibration solution for your T75.

Immerse the meter in the proper calibration solution: 1382 ppm (M10032) for T75

You could go over to a hydro store and probably pick up any solution that 1382 ppm.

Looks like on your PH pen, you're going to need to do a two point calibration, so you're going to need three items.

Remove the cap and immerse the pH51 in (MA9015) storage solution for 2 hours to activate the electrode.

Acid calibration for measurements below pH7:
• Immerse the electrode in pH7.01 (M10007) buffer solution.
• Allow the reading to stabilize and with a small screwdriver turn the “7” calibration trimmer inside the battery compartment until the display shows "7.0".
• Rinse the electrode with tap water and immerse it in pH4.01 (M10004) buffer solution.
• Allow the reading to stabilize and with a small screwdriver turn the “4” calibration trimmer until the display shows "4.0".

Again, your hydro store should have 7.01 and 4.01 buffer solution for you, as these are pretty standard.

Hope this helps man.
SF

Yeah I got the 7 and 4 solution but it says i need to immearse in MA9015 storage solution for 2hrs to activate electrode, and must store electrode in this solution. Whats up with that. I'm on track with u so far bvut whats up with this starter/storage solution?
Really appreciate the help bro

Yeah I got the 7 and 4 solution but it says i need to immearse in MA9015 storage solution for 2hrs to activate electrode, and must store electrode in this solution. Whats up with that. I'm on track with u so far bvut whats up with this starter/storage solution?
Really appreciate the help bro

Honestly man, I've never heard of this "activating process". I'm betting it wouldn't hurt to use tap water to activate the probe. And then do your calibration after the probe is "activated".

In fact, I just looked on Milwaukee's site, the 9015 is labeled as a storage solution. IMO, soak it for two hours in a glass of tap-water. Then calibrate. Until you pick up the long term storage solution, just keep the probe wet in tap-water. They just don't want that probe to dry out as it shortens the life.

Fire it up!

SF

I got your last message bot the storage solution. Thanks alot bro. Got alot to do with school and well the other thing I like to do. Its going to be a great summer.
Legalize it now!!!

Back
Top Bottom