Mission Impossible: Pollinating out of doors

Felix the Dog

That's what next year's project is, and it gives me a headache. Getting the dates of pollination correct, checking plants in darkness, what to do with wanted and/or unwanted males, moving them if necessary....... I may even make a Male Sanctuary: dig up budding males and put them all together. Let them throw pollen at one another. This will be tricky, especially dealing with 6 or 7 strains.

I love pollinating outdoors.

You could start a nice pollen bank. I wanted to make some seeds this season but didn't have any males!

People on this forum much more knowledgeable than me could instruct you how to improve your odds of getting males plants. Some breeds will produce more males if kept in smaller, more restrictive pots, even if outside, but that's about all I know on that angle.

Go to Dutch Passion's website and search for the article there about feminized seeds, scroll down to the lower half where the four or five things to do to encourage females (from non-feminized seeds) - and do the exact opposite of all of them. That ought to increase your male population beyond the normal ~20%.

The text I'm referring to in that article has been posted many times, including here, but I cannot recall the thread title here; and the first place I ever saw it posted was at the DP website.

Back
Top Bottom