Castrating the males

Verdeorgreen

Hello everyone!!!
I'm new here and would like to salute all members just before I make my first question.

Now, what I would like to ask is since the males are mostly unwanted on a grow room because they pollinate the females... is it possible that by removing the pollen sacs from the males very soon it would be possible to keep them growing along side with the females on the same grow room... the idea is to castrate the males from their pollen sacs before they pollinate the females and use the males leaves as a tobacco replacement.

Any reply will be most appreciated and please have my thanks in advance.

From the question, it sounds like maybe you think you can do this castration once and then have them be safe (?) I've never tried it but we can be very sure that the male flowers would keep on coming (so to speak ) and it would take a lot of vigilance to keep on top of the situation. There seem to be some good reasons not to- like- you risk lowering the quality of any bud you have growing (possibly by a lot), and the males and their surgery routine take up a lot of time and space that could be devoted to growing bigger and better girls and smoking them instead, and it would seem to me that the leaves make a crappy substitute for tobacco anyway.

But there's nothing stopping you from trying, if you want. The males start out with a few flowers, then a few dozen, then a few hundred or thousand when they really get going. They take a few days to open up and start pollinating. So at least in the early days you'd have some chance of keeping them under control while you decided how much you want to go through for what you are getting out of it.

If you do decide to try it will you put it in your journal? I'll check it out and see how it's going. :thumb:

From the question, it sounds like maybe you think you can do this castration once and then have them be safe (?) I've never tried it but we can be very sure that the male flowers would keep on coming (so to speak ) and it would take a lot of vigilance to keep on top of the situation. There seem to be some good reasons not to- like- you risk lowering the quality of any bud you have growing (possibly by a lot), and the males and their surgery routine take up a lot of time and space that could be devoted to growing bigger and better girls and smoking them instead, and it would seem to me that the leaves make a crappy substitute for tobacco anyway.

But there's nothing stopping you from trying, if you want. The males start out with a few flowers, then a few dozen, then a few hundred or thousand when they really get going. They take a few days to open up and start pollinating. So at least in the early days you'd have some chance of keeping them under control while you decided how much you want to go through for what you are getting out of it.

If you do decide to try it will you put it in your journal? I'll check it out and see how it's going. :thumb:

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
At the moment I cannot try this method of castrating the males because I only have 3 females growing. but I will try it soon enough just after this ones and I surely will share the results. either worth it or not.

:peace:

why?? If you want to smoke the leaves (don't know why), why not just smoke the leaves off the female plant as you have to trim them off the buds any ways?? The only trimming that should be done on a male is right at the spot where the stalk meets the soil.

First I really would like to grow the males just to check for myself if the leaves quality is as bad as others say they are, and I did smoke from some male leaves in Bogotá that were better than any female buds I ever tryed even in Holland... so I'm very curious about it.

Secondly I want to check the potency of the dried pollen sacs, maybe they will be some exquisite smoke just on their own..?

Thirdly I think the males produce more leaves than the females and their leaves would always be better than the crap tobacco with its addictives.

And for last I think for the price the seeds cost is not practical to get read of the males if their leaves and pollen sacs can be smoked...

Did anybody actually smoked from the dried pollen sacs..? and how was it..?

:peace:

I think many people have tried to smoke males out of desperation. They are very low in thc and any other psychoactives. Males can get up to 1% thc apparently in rare cases or maybe a bit more, but more commonly are something like 0.2% thc. So you'd have to smoke 75- 100 joints of a regular male compared to one joint of good bud. That's some serious smoking.... Or if somehow you got that rare and special high-thc male- you'd have to smoke 'only' ten joints. You may be able to get more out of them by blending them up and drinking the whole plant, if it's a high you're after. I would think there are many other better substitutes for tobacco. There are where I live but I doubt if we share the same types of wild plants. Anyway- it's your choice and if that's what you like to smoke then I say go for it:thumb: I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. It just sounds like I am...

I am a retired person camping out in the PNW coast. I have a really big male. I have 3 others the sex is not apparent yet. The male just came out. I was just curious. I have this massive plant and it's shade for the dog and some privacy for me. I'm the talk of the neighborhood. LOL So, if I can neuter it and keep up with this, will it produce something that will get you high? No benefits other than tobacco not worth the work. So does it get you high? If you know please share.

Back
Top Bottom