More Light?

HalfBaked98

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I wanted to hear what you suggest. I have 1 goodweed seed at about 3.5 weeks since sprouting and a bagweed seed at around 1 month or so. My current light setup has been two 23w 6500k and one 23w 2700k CFL. Here's how they look:

IMAG06608.jpg

Another issue I have is that the bagweed seed's leaves, the newer ones are canoing a little upwards.

IMAG06498.jpg

That should be PLENTY of light for 2 young plants. I'd try raising the lights just a bit, 1"-2" maybe. I know you're supposed to be able to keep cfl's very close, and you can, but usually with younger plants, you don't want the too close. My veg closet runs on mostly CFL's with an LED seedlings and new clones. That said, I don't actually think your issue is light. It kinda looks like perhaps a bit of over watering. I see no light burn and both plants look healthy. Looking at your mix (soil) my thought is to add more perlite to it next time. But, really, they look good. Ease up on the water, you should be fine!

thanks for the advice. This is my first grow and I'm really excited the plant on the left side of the photo is already starting to smell, pretty heavily, is that normal? For a first time grower, I just want to get the gist of growing? When do you suggest to top? These are roughly 1 month old, (I sprouted a Girl Scout Seed yesterday!!) When do you suggest to start flowering?

Well, it's extremely strain specific. Some strains don't start to stink up the place until mid flower, others smell almost right away. I have found that the "happier" your plant, the less odor. But, again, some strains just smell, no matter what you do! Now, to when to flower, depends on how much space you have. I am atypical in that, I give my girls (and boys) 8 weeks in veg, unless it's a very tall strain, then I flip em at 6 weeks. But, I have 6.5' height in my flower room, so taking into account room for my lights, my plants usually end up being 4', sometimes a bit taller. Plenty of growers with limited height flip at 4 weeks or so. Also, I have a perpetual grow and do not scrog or lst. I top and fim(sometimes), but that's about it. I dub my grow style "free-style growing". I like the freedom of allowing each plant to tell me how she likes to grow best. I start off topping for 2 mains, if the plant responds well, I'll top the clones and other plants of the same strain for 4. Rarely, I'll have a strain that doesn't respond well to being topped (thin stems, smaller buds, etc..). In those cases, I will leave it a single cola plant.
There are so many different ways you can train your plants or you can chose not to. Depending on how you go, has a lot to do with when to flower them. For strain specific info SeedFinder.eu :: Marijuana Strain Database | Search | Research is an excellent resource. You just search for your strain and you get flowering time, how much it stretches and info on the different phenos you can expect from each strain.
A good guideline on when to flower is the height of the plant in veg. Plan on it stretching to 2x's that height. So, if you want a 3' plant, flower when it's 18 inches, etc... Now, not all strains stretch that much and some stretch more, but it's a good general example!
Hope that helps a bit!

well, I don't really know anything about the seeds. One seed I got from a friend, he said it was a pretty good seed. The other one was some bagweed seed. If I let my plant grow to about 18in Pre-flowering, and I top and SCROG, do you think that I can pull 2oz. from each plant?

I do not now, nor have I ever scrogged, so I can't help you there. I get 4 oz or so per plant. Again, it is very strain dependent.

usually after the 4th node is a good time to top, it will stunt growth for a week or so probalby. also i would think 18 inch in veg should land you in the 2oz or better area, if you top and scrog properly and veg long enough 10oz should be attainable. I am pushing for 10-14 out of my plant and it would have been 18 inches tall, but it was 3 feet across after topping, bending and scrogging, before I put it to flower.

Back
Top Bottom