Moscow Republican Says He'll Push Medical Marijuana Bill

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Idaho - Moscow Rep. Tom Trail hopes to introduce a medical marijuana bill during the 2011 legislative session.

Trail began working on draft legislation a few years ago, seeking input from doctors, law enforcement officials and others. The Republican lawmaker said his measure would be "the most restrictive marijuana law in the nation" because it requires a doctor's prescription and is only valid for a set list of severe, chronic illnesses.

If approved, the measure would allow patients diagnosed with cancer, AIDS, Lou Gehrig's disease, muscular dystrophy, glaucoma and multiple sclerosis to have access to marijuana grown and distributed through state-monitored dispensaries. Patients could not legally grow their own marijuana or use it in public. They would also be limited to 2 ounces of marijuana per month.

Although controversial, several studies have concluded marijuana offers a variety of medical benefits, including pain relief; reducing muscles spasms; easing nausea and anxiety; stimulating hunger in chemotherapy and AIDS patients; and lowering intraocular eye pressure.

The possession and distribution of marijuana remains illegal at the federal level, but 14 states -- including Washington, Oregon and Montana -- have approved its use for medical purposes. In many cases, state laws were changed through the initiative process and ballot measures, rather than through legislative efforts.

Trail, who has previously made several unsuccessful attempts to legalize industrial hemp production in Idaho, said several constituents with chronic illnesses have approached him on this issue.

He will discuss the proposed legislation during the 14th annual Moscow Hemp Fest, which takes place Saturday at East City Park, beginning at 10 a.m.

Other speakers include Steve Phun, a Seattle Hemp Fest activist and event emcee; Adam Assenberg, a local activist and radio host of KRFP's Marijuana, Fact or Fiction program; and several members of the newly formed Southern Idaho Cannabis Coalition based in Boise.

Musical guests include the John Treasure Band, Corn Mash, Chubb's Toga, and the Simon Tucker Band from Lewiston. Bio Luminescence, a troupe of fire dancers and drummers from Sandpoint, will give a fire and dance performance in the evening.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: InsuranceNewsNet.com, Inc
Author: B. Spence
Copyright: 2010 The Lewiston Morning Tribune
Website: Insurance News - Moscow Republican says he'll push medical marijuana bill [The Lewiston Morning Tribune, Idaho]

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

I love the idea because I'm a local. I don't like how strict they want to be about it. The same laws that apply in Cali, Oregon, and Washington should apply here. You guys there are dialed in.

Welcome to 420Magazine muleyman4.

Were glad to see you sign up and post.

Being local you should do a lil something to help this along.

I'd start by contacting your representatives and get others to do the same.

I hope there is change in your area, Slowly we are seeing progress being made.

Back
Top Bottom