mother plant question

teamgilly

i have a couple of mothers (my first ones) in a four foot high tent. they are constently touching the light and i keep having to chop them. they are not a pretty sight any more. I have taken a couple of clones from each mother and plan to make them mothers. they have just started to show roots. How can i keep these new mothers shorter than the 4 foot space? is this a common problem? is it just something i have to deal with? is 4 foot just to small? please some advice?

thanks for your two cents yung stikky. Ok they are under 4 t5 florecent and they are touching them again. i have cut them in half a couple of times allready. yes they are females and I have been useing them for mothers and i dont plan to flower them. ive seen pictures of other mothers and they always look fat and round not tall and skinny like mine. I am pretty sure they are root bound too. the reason i took some clones to make them into mothers is i thought that i would try and train them from the begining. when i grew these ones from seed i never toped them or anything cuz i didnt even know how to do it, i still really dont know how. i guess i could just tie the main stalk down, yea i think ill try that. "If you take the clones, then tie the branches, it should stay the height it is". how should i tie the branches on a new clone? and i am flowering most of the clones i just thoguth i would save a couple and make them mothers. do you think thats a good idea. it can be done right? thanks again. i just hate that they are always getting too high and burning. i just took a bunch of clones from the one on the left
P7270163.JPG
P7270158.JPG

P7270159.JPG
P7270160.JPG

Just take cuttings from both mothers, wait for them to root, then toss the previous mothers and install the new ones in their place. That will get you out of your current mess. Pass them around in the form of a bunch of cuttings and if something happens in the future you can get a cutting from one of the cuttings that you gave away.

Make sure your lights are 6500K for tighter nodes.

Light makes plants grow. Darkness makes them flower. A lesser light as close to the plant as possible as opposed to a greater light at a greater distance. Maybe you should go with something that provides less illumination than your T5 setup. You don't actually want the fastest growth possible in a mother (unless you need more rapid growth for extra cuttings).

You don't need over 12 hours of light to keep a mother from flowering. You just need less than 12 hours of (uninterrupted) darkness.

In other words... Set up your lighting schedule so that you don't have a lot of growth and throw in a couple of (short) lights-on periods during each dark cycle.

While it is true that some plants that are just looking for an excuse to go hermie will do so under such a lighting schedule, it's not that likely; by the time a person picks out their mother and flowers a few crops from her cuttings if it hasn't already happened, it probably won't.

J
You don't need over 12 hours of light to keep a mother from flowering. You just need less than 12 hours of (uninterrupted) darkness.
In other words... Set up your lighting schedule so that you don't have a lot of growth and throw in a couple of (short) lights-on periods during each dark cycle.

Interesting concept. I may have to play with that one. I agree with TS, lower wattage and get that light as close as possible w/out burning leaves. If some burn no biggie, just move the light up. Keep in mind U will have to move the light as the plant grows. This will also give u the opportunity to pay close attention to them (not saying that u don't now). Y may want to consider LST(ing) Low (or Light i 4get) Stress Training. Search the threads 4 it. I recommend starting within the 2nd -3rd week after transplanting )if ur in soil.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't he also dilute his nutrients down to slow the growth rate? Sounds good, but I'm no expert...............
Yet.

No prob. Remember that a clone is a genetic replica of its parent. It will display the same characteristics, growth patterns, disease, deficiencies, etc. So take good pictures and study ur moms. It u want to train ur clones, the moms will let u know what to expect. Glad u were able to make some progress. Any questions just ask. No 1 has all of the answers, but we all have some. :peace:

here is one of the replacements for my mothers. It is a clone off one of them. what i want to know is, should i top it and where should i cut? i want to keep them as short and bushy as possible.
P8110279.JPG
P8110280.JPG
P8110283.JPG
P8110284.JPG

Back
Top Bottom