Mutated leaves and burnt spots? HELP!

M00gle

This is my first grow and all was going well until today when I examined my plants and found that the new sets of leaves are growing MUTATED! :hmmmm:

I checked my pH and it is 6.0 for the soil. Because I thought it might be nutrient lockout, but 6.0 should be good though.

And now My other plant is getting burned and is wilting! I don't think it is the lights because it is on the lower leaves. I also fed him 5 days ago a weak solution of GHydroponics floragrow and floramicro. It was 1tsp per gallon.

Please tell me what you think the problem is. I would hate my plants to die because of my ignorance.

Other info: Plants are under 400w MH with a ionizer and fan for circulation. Closet doors are of the foldable type with holes in them so circulation should be fine. I also open them daily.

pictures to follow.........

Here is a picture of the mutated leaves and the plant as a whole.
DSC00342.JPG

DSC00343.JPG

I'm thinking it may be a micronutrient defeciency of some sort, maybe sulfur or calcium

Here are the pictures of the burnt bag seed plant.

DSC00339.JPG

As you can see the plant has been burned but not on the edges but in the middle? I'm not sure what is causing this, I moved the light up a bit just in case.

DSC00340.JPG

The entire plant is drooping and some leaves at the base are drying out. I gave it plain water today.

Any help on diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated. The first plant was a Nothern lights by skunk cross and the second was some bag seed plant. Thank You

I water them about once a week. I just watered the larger one today because the soil was pretty dry.

Hey Madamecrash do you know if it is bad if the top of the soil is turning green? It is like algae is growing on the perlite that is on the top of the soil. Do you also know what may be causing those mutated leaves. Thanks alot for helping me madamcrash!

Yes - algea is bad. It indicates the soil is not drying out in a normal rate ..

What kind of fan is that? Does it generate ozone?

What are the temps in the room? what is your lighting cycle? How far away is the light?

Is the floor they are sitting on very cold?

What kind of nutrients have you given them - when.. how often...?

Are you spraying the plants with anything?

Looks like it could be a sulfur deficiency or other micro-nutrient def.. if the floor they are sitting on gets cold they will experience a nute lockout even if the PH is good.

Peace
MC

Green soil? You have a fungus/mold growing and no, it's not a good thing. You need to remove the plants from the soil they are in and replace as much of the bad stuff with good stuff as possible. Mold/fungi's mean too much moisture without enough ventilation. You need oscillating fans tomove the air around, exhaust fans to remove stale air and intakes to allow fresh air/co2 in. Youmay want to find a good fungicide/miticide spray and try to spray some of your room incase any spores remain.

oh shit that sucks! I bleached the entire room before growing. Damn fungi. I water about once every 5 days, do you think that is too much and may have caused this fungus?

I'll post a picture for you of the green crap on the soil.

DSC00346.JPG

I thought it might be algae and was not that big of a deal. Could you Please confirm it is fungus? My White Widow is growing well right now and I don't want to transplant him if it is just algae. This green stuff is only on the top layer of soil also.

madamecrash said:
Yes - algea is bad. It indicates the soil is not drying out in a normal rate ..

What kind of fan is that? Does it generate ozone?

What are the temps in the room? what is your lighting cycle? How far away is the light?

Is the floor they are sitting on very cold?

What kind of nutrients have you given them - when.. how often...?

Are you spraying the plants with anything?

Looks like it could be a sulfur deficiency or other micro-nutrient def.. if the floor they are sitting on gets cold they will experience a nute lockout even if the PH is good.

Peace
MC

-The fan I have is a hepa filter with iononizer, I don't think it produces Ozone.
-The temps range from 67-77F with 30% humidity, 18/6 lighting, light is 2ft away.
-The floor may get cold at night because the temp drops to 67, so that may be the problem
-I give them Ghydro nutes, floragro, floramicro and use 1tsp/gal every 5-7 days. And plain water every 3rd watering.
-I only spray with water but today I sprayed with a weak solution of foxfarm growbig, diluted to .5 tsp/gallon. I thought this may help the nute defeciency.

Thanks for your help madamecrash and racefan

From what I can tell, your soil looks like it has inadequate drainage. If you are only feeding once every 5 days and the soil never dries out in that time and just becomes mud when you feed it more than that is definatly horrible drainage. The water you are feeding is not running off or being used up by the plant making it a swamp where algae and fungus will love to grow. The spots on the leaves also look like damage due to an ozone generator (like mademcrash suggested) or pH fluctuation. Since you do not have anything that produces ozone, I would think that the pH of the soil is to blame for the spots on your leaves. The algae may have alot to due with this, I am unsure of the effects this may have on your soil pH as I have never personally dealt with a case of it.

I would transplant into soil that drains better and has a pH of 6.2-7.0. Discard the current soil. Try mixing into your soil more perlite, worm castings, or another medium that allows for better drainage. By continuing to feed them and trying to save them this way you are only doing more damage.

P.S.- Superthrive is your basic cure all in soil. After transplant, some Superthrive will have them back to health in no time.

And it is very important to stop spraying them with water. If algea is present (which it is) then there is a good chance there is a fungal infection started as well like Racefan said.

Are the spots or brown dead patches on the edges of the leaves spreading to the rest of the plant? If yes... trim off the infected parts of the leaves before re-potting them, and make sure to rinse off all of the old dirt from the roots before putting them in fresh dirt.

Also adding a tablespoon of gypsum per gallon of soil will help it drain much more evenly and give added sulfur and magnesium...along with added PH buffering.

Can you raise the temps in the room above 80 degrees during lights on?

Can you leave your fan going 24/7? ... Both of those things will help dry out the soil faster.

Peace
MC

At 30% humidity this shouldn't be happening if you ask me. What kind of soil are you using? If you took it from your back yard chances are it had fungus spores in it and was contaminated before you even put the plants in.

at 30% humidity mold, mildew, or algea will grow if the soil is cold. The humidity at the soil level is probably more like 45-65%..

67 - 77 degrees during lights on isn't warm enough to heat the ground the plant is sitting on to the point where water is actually being used. Roots grow down to warmth.. if the pot is sitting on cold ground the plant won't make a healthy root system all the way to the bottom so water just sits at the bottom of the pot making mud like you said RooRman...

Peace
MC

Ahh that makes perfect sense. I thought with the room humidty low there was not enough moisture in the air but I suppose if the soil is soaked to the bone then it would be more humid at surface level of the soil.

It's apparent to us all that he needs better soil drainage. Watering once every 5 days and still having mud for soil is no good.

RooRman said:
At 30% humidity this shouldn't be happening if you ask me. What kind of soil are you using? If you took it from your back yard chances are it had fungus spores in it and was contaminated before you even put the plants in.

-I am using foxfarm soil that I mixed perlite with. Not using any soil from the backyard.

-the temps during the day stay around 75 and only drop to 65 at night when the lights are off. I leave the fans on 24/7,
-Should I add a heater to the room at night?

I checked the plants today and the big one that had spots is not wilting anymore and is looking good. I think maybe my ionizer does produce ozone so i moved it away from the plants and maybe that helped.

So basically, just to confirm, I need to transplant all the plants that have algae on the surface of the soil? Even the one that is growing fine? I also need to raise the temps to heat the soil, I did move them off the ground and put them on a small shelf, so hopefully that should hlep.

Thanks alot for all your advice. I'm a little worried my plants will die because those were the only seeds I could obtain :(

Yes I would transplant into fresh soil and maybe use more perlite this time around. If the floor gets cold, put the pots on something like a carpet or sheets of styrofoam to keep them off the ground.

I see I shall do so, I should also clean the roots so no fungus gets in the new soil correct?

RooRman you don't happen to have any links to some good threads on transplanting. Thanks for your help...

M00gle, fox farms is normally a great draining soil. At least it has been for me. How are the drain holes in the bottom of your containers? You don't have them sitting in trays that fill up with solution do you? If so you need to empty those trays. You need to increase drainage of your soil. One way is to increase drain hole size. Another is to avoid sitting the plants/containers in excess water.

Back
Top Bottom