My first grow

Shags

I had my first go at cannabis horticulture while a freshman at UofA in umm 1988 or so. My mom and I were driving to the college for some kind of orientation. It was like an hours drive. They were building a new freeway but it wasn't quite done yet so we had to take the surface roads the whole way. (I just stared at the word 'whole' for 5 minutes. I am very high.) So we are driving along and I see a store called 'Northern Lights Hydro'..My mom commented on the giant tomatoes growing in the window as we sat at the light. Flash forward a few months and I'm a big time freshman trying to squeeze studies in between parties.. and the weed around is awful! I recalled that hydro store and decided to pay a visit.. They had a small ebb and flow set up for like 100 bucks.. two bus boy pans, a pump, some hydroton and some nutes GH.. I probably didnt eat for a month to get up the funds.. I also picked up an ed rosenthal book.. I put 20 or 30 bucks into an envelope and mailed it to Amsterdam with fingers crossed.. Fucking amazing! they actually sent me some seeds.. I set up the ebb and flow in my closet.. had two seeds germinate.. and we were growing! Having two room mates made secrecy impossible but I think most of the guys knew we were all gonna smoke it so things went without a hitch.. for awhile.. Its hard to recall but I think the plants were into flower just showing buds. I was sitting in the common room watching highlander and I was as high as I had ever been.. There was a payphone in the hall and no one had cell phones.. so the phone is ringing.. and ringing.. I decide to answer it.. dude on the other end is like "this is Sherrif so and so and he has reports of me growing pot in my dorm, ect.. " Now I'm stoned as hell and shitting bricks.. I deny deny.. he says he is not convinced and is going to send a car to get me in the morning for questioning' Now as an adult this sounds crazy and is obviously someone fucking around.. but as an 18 year old kid this is some badddd shit.. so I get my roommates together and we purge the dorm room of everything relating to mary jane.. Flush my stash.. rip my girls out of the hydroton.. we tossed our pipes out into the woods.. the place was clean in 20 minutes.. I started to get it the next morning while I was sitting waiting for the cops that never came.. I may have been one of the random guys I didnt even know. I wonder if it was one of my roommates who was worried about being kicked out of school if we were to get busted.. either way It makes for a good story now.. I apologize to all University of Akron alumni for my grammar and punctuation.. :tokin:

Dude, that was me on that phone in 1988, from the future! I called back because you almost caused a paradox in the time continuum by smoking yourself into a time warp.

No BS my first grow was when I was 12 years old in my closet with a kitchen light bulb. Then I read my first high times magazine a few months later. I didn't find out till I was in my 20's, but both of my dads were growers. My biological dad and my step-dad both were pot farmers. I guess it's a tradition, maybe even genetic. Sometimes I think maybe I'm a canna-human hybrid, but I don't smell as sweet as the ladies in my garden and you don't want to see me lay out in the sun without my clothes on (although some have gone that route unknowingly and were immediately blinded for life).

:welcome: Shags! Great to have you with us. If you grow, I recommend starting a grow journal so that all of our experienced growers can find your grow and offer assistance... also it will allow you to share your experience! :) Good Luck. :peace:

Funny story. I remember my first grows. Totally misunderstood what lighting, soil and watering was about. But mostly, in the mid 1970's when I did my first grows they always encounter the MOM/Grounding factor. Mom would find my plants, tear them all up and I'd get grounded for another week.

I was just checking over a small seedling I've got going right now...about 2.5 weeks old. This is about the time that the MOM/Grounding factor would deploy. Mom's not around anymore but if she was, she'd tear it up and send me to my room for another week.

:420: lol... wow I read my first high times in early 80's great ideals for a dirt grower :) crazy grows back then. Have fun:goodjob:

Im getting all my stuff together right now for my first grow.
The only thing im confused about is the soil mixes and fertilizers.
Can i germinate the seeds in a rockwool cube and then put it just like that in a pot of Plagron light mix with perlite?
Also, can i use this same soil mix throughout all the stages of the plant?

Ps. sorry if this isnt the correct place to ask questions.. (first time on this website today)

Back
Top Bottom