Mythbusters

Thanks SnowBender, I stumbled across that movie. Its amazing.

second that watched it on netflix about 3 months ago it was good
tulips potatos and such right?

Mushrooms have no nutritional value other than trace minerals which you get from the water that you drink. I have never seen an animal dumb enuff to eat any 'sroom except hominins, rarely nematodes, and the porcine set. Better to eat something with some energy, no? What makes you think that "psychedelic effects" are a deterrent to organisms that lack the neural complexity and receptors to 'trip'? The active compounds in these fungi have one of the lowest LD50s ever tested. The are only toxic in large quantities [20#s +] dropped on your head from a height greater than 20 feet up. Plants don't really have 'defense mechanisms', but the ones that produce nasty tasting and smelling compounds as metabolic byproducts will differentially out compete those lacking these deterrents over time based on the exclusionary principle. Evolution is not directed, it is a process of elimination, what's left after the party is what works best in a given environment.

b

Deer love mushrooms, i've seen them munching down in shroom patches.

yup its in his Ask Edd book. i can find the page if anyone needs it?

IrishBoy,can you say more ? do seeds have a big side or something? I've got seeds and no money. skyhighrobert

IrishBoy, can you say more, do seeds have a big side or something? I have seeds and no money. skyhighrobert:morenutes:

Dude, he's talking about the long edge on a seed, how they have 1 edge, kind of like a knife blade, and where the taproot leaves the seed says if its a male or female, from Ask Ed (Rosenthal, pot book fame)

Unless it's something to do with the obviously stated fact that you have no money but you have some seeds? What kind of seeds, what variety of marijuana are they from?

I have 15 years of saving every seed coming my way. that's my source. many seeds no sprouting except one female god bless.happy is the person with one female flower. skyhighrobert

I'll tackle girdling because I've used it on and off for years. No it doesn't increase potency,but it does influence color and taste.

Take a potato peeler or a knife,and girdle the plant in it's last 10 days/2 weeks of growth. However you don't want to completely girdle it,you want to leave a half inch strip of bark that connects the bottom part of the plant to the top. (depending on the circumference of the main stem. Use one 1/8th of the circumference of the stem as a guide smaller plants,a half inch on anything wrist thick and bigger.)

As the next few days pass,you'll notice a change to a golden color in the upper part of the plant, When it's reached the color you want it's time to harvest.

That,boys and girls,is how the Colombians and Mexicans created their "Gold" weeds of the 60's and 70's. Bad ol' growers used the the same trick Stateside,to create "Kona Gold" on the mainland so they could get those Hawaiian prices. ;)

Girdling that way also created the perfume like taste,that good gold weed posessed. If you want to peak the taste up a bit, use a lil' molasses or sugar water in the watering just before girdling.

The Colombians were the masters of that trick. Up until '73/'74 good Colombian weed was dark green w/ red hairs and sold for roughly 25 bucks a bag. The Colombians discovered that Americans would pay more for gold weed,so they started girdling. The entire eastern half of the US was awash in Colombian Gold by the late winter of '74/'75,selling at 30 to 60 bucks a Z.

bust this myth
you can tell the sex of non femenized seeds by how even the first 2 sets of leaves are.
Actually that isnt so much a myth as it is a fact that many horticulturalists who specialize in specific species of plants are able to determine the sex based on growth patters, and because of this fact many people once they feel they are experts ???? Beliee there skills are equal to phd level botanists and horticulturalists who have studied one type of plant for there entier career.

There is also a myth concerning the way the root emerges from the seed husk which I have to say in the past 8 months and 40 seeds of the same Strain germinated there does seem to be a connection I have noticed if the root tip emerges directly from the pointy end of the seed they are female and if it the husk splits along the entire one side at once and the root seems to emerge slightly off to the side of the tip you get a male so far I have had 2 seeds that havent followed this pattern but this could also be due to me not having scientific grade equipment to make measurements.

thank you for a most fascinating post.

Girdling is of interest to commercial food growers because it can increase yield by shifting the balance of nutrient transport to favor the fruit at the expense of the root system.

"Like all plants, trees use two vascular tissues for transportation of water and nutrients: the xylem (also known as the wood), and the phloem. Girdling results in the removal of the phloem, and death occurs from the inability of the leaves to transport sugars (primarily sucrose) to the roots. In this process, the xylem is left untouched, and the tree can usually still temporarily transport water and minerals from the roots to the leaves until the roots die. Death occurs when the roots can no longer produce ATP and transport nutrients upwards through the xylem."
Ring Barking techniques have been developed for disrupting or impeding transport in phloem causing an increase in early flower production and fruiting as well as reduced need for pruning and to control size."[1]

My interest in the technique has to do with increasing the size of buds. It's not necessary to girdle the entire plant and risk killing it prematurely. Individual branches can be girdled very easily with small zip ties applied tightly enough to crush the phloem, but not so tightly that all transport is compromised.

Two weeks before the anticipated day of harvest would seem to be enough time to produce an effect (if there is one) yet allow the plant to finish without dying prematurely from the choked off root system.

Thanks again for your informative post. I had forgotten about girdling and now have renewed interest.

I'd heard about it in association with the Colombian gold back in the day, which I'm old enough to have smoked, so it'll be interesting to see if the "crush" girdling technique, which does not leave a viable strip of bark, will produce similar color and aroma changes.

There's a "strip" method that was used too,but I was never quite able to master it. You use a small knife to strip about an inch of the outer bark all the way around the main stalk. At spots directly above and below one another you peel back the bark the same width vertically for about inch on either side.

You use a short section of the length of bark you made on the first cut and use it to span the section between the two vertical peels.

You then use a piece of cloth such as used for grafting to bind the whole thing up.

Now you know why I went with the potato peeler. IMO,it was too easy kill the plant with a knife and the peeler was much simpler to use.

As for bud size production. I always used girdling outdoors with a local strain called "Big Bud". It was a mixture of Burmese and Mexican sativas developed there in the late 60's/early 70's. It was treated with colchicine in the mid 70's to create a polyploid and then crossed with Colombian Punta Rosa,around '77.

Bud size increase afterward? It's tough to say as these girls went 12 feet plus and the buds were huge to begin with. It did seem to increase trich production dramtically,but I did it mostly to enhance taste and bag appeal.

A lot of guys did "stomp" girdling in those days. They would deliberately stomp on the main stem of the plant about 3 feet up pushing it to the ground. They said it improved yield as it allowed the side bud to get more sun in the final couple of weeks and made the plant less visible from a distance?

I felt it was a trade off at best.You might get side bud production on the part of the plant that faced up,but you you exposed the bud on the lower side to rot and slugs.

I've read of stomping being done in parts of Mexico and in Afghanistan,but those are much drier climates than the Southern Appalachians where I was living at the time.

Woohoo! Got my old handle back. Beware of age related short-term combined with weed related short-term memory loss,kiddies. It's a bitch when it comes to passwords.

Firestone aka Rockhead.

1) Does LST increase yield? It can depending on what your light source and setup is. its really a situationally dependent action because root mass and number of healthy leaves determines bud size

2) Can you tell the sex of a seed to any degree of certainty? nope

3) Luxury nutrition - true or false? Controlled release ferilizers, osmocote + etc, are cheapest and beat Advanced nutes in side by sides. keep them green and let them eat what they want without root burn.

4) does 24 hr of dark time before harvest produce more potent buds?
yes, light degrades thc, so does temperature, im trying to figure out how to trim dry cure and store in pitch blackness.

5) does cutting off fan leaves hurt yield? yes,

6) Is MG potting soil and/or MG Organic potting soil the devil? I am...

7) Do plants need 1 gallon of soil per each foot of growth?
8) Do airpots and/or fabric pots make a difference?

you can get much more yield per gallon in airpots. proven just look around for airpot comparison threads, if you can keep them perfectly watered they match the growth rates of dwc. dont use soil bags bc you damage the roots whenever you move them.

9) Is growing more plants 12/12 from seed more efficient than fewer plants at 18/6? depends on the wattages of the mother/clone room, you can put rooting clones in 12/12 just like seedlings.

12) Does it produce more yield to LST early in veg or later in veg? if you need to use lst, you should have a plan for the plants shape unless the strain is new to you.

13) Does girdling have any effect on yield? if done too early you can hurt yield.

14) Is it better to have the circulation and/or exhaust fans on or off during the dark period? on. i shudder at the thought of budrot/PM

15. Are plants stunted by starting them in 16oz cups and keeping them in those cups until they can be sexed before

keep them in 1 liter airpots instead, rootbinding is very stressful

feel free to correct me im quite chill :cool:

I have grown and flowered plants in 16oz. plastic cups.
The answer to #7 is NO!

Does starting plants in 16 oz. cups stunt their growth?
I transplant plants (up-can) for growth spurts.
I learned this trick from BOG! :adore:
So my first transplant is to 16 oz. cups.
The seeds are started in the small plastic containers you buy tomatoes and other vegetable plants in. :;):

:peace: cocoJoe

Whats the secret to growing start to finish out of a 16oz solo cup? Nothing special about it, but it looks cool.

Like the autoflower guys do? and even some photo strains I've seen. Do they cut dirt/roots and put in fresh soil around the plant or something?

Back
Top Bottom