Need a recommendation for a dehumidifier

nightOWL

Hello all... I've got a 4'x4'x79" tent with 2 plants, each in an independant 5 gallon DWC setup.

I live in an area that's pretty humid. I'm about to move to flowering and the guy at the hydro store said that in my area a dehumidifier is a must... I'm digging around online, but I'm not sure what to look for and was hoping some folks on the forums here could shed some light on the matter...

after some research, I'm still confused about the following things...

1.) I've been reading that the humidity should be around 45% during flower... even assuming +/- a couple of points, I assume I'm going to need a humidifier that can be set to a particular humidity?

2.) It seems that the humidity jumps when the lights are off in my tent... is this common?

3.) I understand that it's all based on how much humidity is in the air, but does anyone have a general rule of thumb as to how much water is removed for say a 10% drop in the relative humidity?

4.) does anyone have any recommendations for a tent my size?

I'm looking at Ivation IVADM20 Powerful Small-Size Thermo-Electric Intelligent Dehumidifier, but the lowest setting is 45% and I've read that some growers drop the humidity as low as they can get it during the last 2 weeks?

1666931373555.png

thanks in advance!

Hey my name is Jared and i work for Eva-Dry. you should try the EDV-2200 for your 4x4 grow tent. no compressors so no extra added heat. we also have a product called the Eva-Dry safe sensor. works great for monitoring conditions in your grow tent. give you the temp and RH all wireless so you don't have to open your tent to check levels. just a suggestion. let me know if you have any questions about our units.

Hey my name is Jared and i work for Eva-Dry. you should try the EDV-2200 for your 4x4 grow tent. no compressors so no extra added heat. we also have a product called the Eva-Dry safe sensor. works great for monitoring conditions in your grow tent. give you the temp and RH all wireless so you don't have to open your tent to check levels. just a suggestion. let me know if you have any questions about our units.

Hey Jared, how much water can your best machine take out of air in 24h?

Hey Jared, how much water can your best machine take out of air in 24h?

Our largest unit is our EDV-4000. this works with a rotary desiccant technology. the specs on this machine are 15 pints per day but that's only at 68 degrees and 60% RH. in a grow room or grow tent environment it could be much more. other positives are this unit only weighs 15 lbs, only stands 18" tall and doesn't use any compressors, so it puts off warm air, not excessive heat back into the room. its great to pair with our "safe sensor" unit, it gives you the temp and RH of the tent or room all wireless, no need to go into your room to check hygrometers anymore. let me know if you have any other questions.

Ye humidity can spike during lights off & can be very high, it is best to keep extraction fan running 24/7 helps a little by lowering RH.

You can check RH with humidity meter & best to check lights off RH just as when the lights come on to get an idea of the spike :thumb:

I use a Delonghi 14L DES14 Dehumidifier, 220w per hour & comes with a washable filter which helps remove air born bacteria etc wattage of unit all adds cost to electric bill, amount of air the unit can treat per hour is another to looking into, filters are a good idea i prefer washable ones as some others come at cost to replace... some of this will effect final choice.

To help ward of Botrytis aka bud rot, temps needs to kept above 70f or 21 c there or about at all times includes light off temp ! RH 50% & below is a sweet spot but can get away under 60% for short periods of time.

Pm has been sent just view by clicking setting tag next to profile at the top of page to read PM :thumb:

ROFL LMAO.
Silent Dehumidifiers make me laugh. I know that solid state dehumidifiers suck when you put one next to a model that has a real compressor inside. The reason is that peltier units just don't have the same BTU's that a nice heavy duty standard dehumidifier with compressor could provide at a FRACTION of the silly prices for a solid state one. This is coming from an engineer not a sales guy...

there are pros and cons to each kind of dehumidifier, but were can you fit a big compressor based unit in a 4x4 grow tent without killing the space for plants? And im not trying to be that sales guy, i just came on here to maybe get the Eva-Dry name into the indoor gardening market.

I have a compressor based dehumidifier that is about the size of six 12 packs of beer stacked on top of each other and this beast pumps 5 litres every 16 hours. If you get creative, you could make an inlet hole on your tent to receive the dried air that comes out of your unit. Go for something that moves a lot water, don't pick the wrong machine because of powerful sales hype about silence or compactness and what not. Do the maintenance on your machine by cleaning out the radiators atleast every 6 months and she should last at least 10 years.

I've got an old Whirlpool unit. Stands about 2.5 feet high. Pumps out about 2 gallons or more a day. Paid $5 for it at an estate sale about 15 years ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't 25 years old. I've used it constantly with zero maintenance and it pumps water like a champ.

If you live in a humid climate or somewhere that basements are common in older homes, it's a pretty good bet that old people in your neighborhood own substantial dehumidifiers. And when they die, their kids sell them for $5.

So go to estate sales for shit like this. I'm always picking up shit like boxes of bone meal, gardening tools, and whatnot for next to nothing at estate sales.

Back
Top Bottom