Need guidence on picking lights on first hydro set up

italianfudge

I am looking for a couple of people who can give me a steady hand in my first round of indoor growing. I hope to find someone familiar with hydroponics and possibly doing so in a low vertical area with a SCROG method? I am doing a crawl space grow and have roughly 3 ½ foot of vertical from floor to roof. I have dug out another foot in a section of the 8 x 8 area I've chosen and would like to do another foot giving me a total of 5 vertical feet, but it is pretty rough being I'm 6' 2'' : ) Sooo 4 foot for sure on the vertical. Any feed back? I am doing a "Drip System" in my veg room and a "Ebb and Flow" in the flowering room. This will need to be thought out because that will consume a chunk of the vertical off the bat. I want to use a 600 watt digital light both HPS and MH in the flowering room. And have contemplated fluorescents in the veg room. This is pretty much my hold up in life at the moment. Can I do a worthwhile grow with my height issue and can I use the light I'd like to use. I want to have a minimum of 8 plants going if possible and a quarter pound every 2 months. How far must I keep my light from my flowering plants ? This is probably one of my bigger concerns. Well hope to hear from someone soon I have a week of solo time, a pocket of tax money and am ready to go to the horticulture shop. Thanks ladies and germs.

I am looking for a couple of people who can give me a steady hand in my first round of indoor growing. I hope to find someone familiar with hydroponics and possibly doing so in a low vertical area with a SCROG method? I am doing a crawl space grow and have roughly 3 ½ foot of vertical from floor to roof. I have dug out another foot in a section of the 8 x 8 area I've chosen and would like to do another foot giving me a total of 5 vertical feet, but it is pretty rough being I'm 6' 2'' : ) Sooo 4 foot for sure on the vertical. Any feed back? I am doing a "Drip System" in my veg room and a "Ebb and Flow" in the flowering room. This will need to be thought out because that will consume a chunk of the vertical off the bat. I want to use a 600 watt digital light both HPS and MH in the flowering room. And have contemplated fluorescents in the veg room. This is pretty much my hold up in life at the moment. Can I do a worthwhile grow with my height issue and can I use the light I'd like to use. I want to have a minimum of 8 plants going if possible and a quarter pound every 2 months. How far must I keep my light from my flowering plants ? This is probably one of my bigger concerns. Well hope to hear from someone soon I have a week of solo time, a pocket of tax money and am ready to go to the horticulture shop. Thanks ladies and germs.

My suggestion to you would be. If you already dug 1 foot whats 1 more? My growroom is 5 1/2 foot tall. That leaves me with about 3' of growing space once you factor in the pots and the lights. Thats minimum height in my opinion. Keep in mind. Your gonna have to go into that room and check on your plants and nutes pretty much everyday. That's gonna suck to have to crawl around everyday to take care of your plants. If its feasible I would put all my efforts into digging out the entire area until you atleast have 5 1/2 feet. 6' would be so much better though.

But, to answer your questions. I would probably recommend 400 watters instead of 600's in your situation because of heat. This will allow you to keep your lights closer to your plants. Keep in mind your gonna have to seriously vent those lights with a large cfm fan. If you have your light properly ventilated you can get your plants within inches of your lights without problems. Oh, btw. 8' X 8' is a huge area for 8 plants especially for the size plants your gonna be growing. You could fit a 30 plant SOG in that area. Your not gonna wanna scrog because that takes work. Your not gonna wanna be crawling down in your crawl space doing a SCROG grow. I highly recommend a SOG (sea of green) instead. Get yourself a bunch of small plants. keep them close together and flower them almost instantly. Maybe give them 1-2 weeks of veg. It will look like 1 huge flat bush. Flowering room at all. Just use 2 HPS lights. There's alot to go over, but that's all the time I have right now. I hope atleast you have the wheels spinning in the brain a little bit now. It can be done. Just gotta figure out the best way first. You don't wanna be doing shit twice. Oh, 4 OZ's every 2 months will be a breeze. You'll be able to pull a pound outta that space. If your only looking for 4 OZ's then you can downsize alot.

Ok I am sold on SOG and I am getting a vented 400 watt HPS and Floros for my Veg area . My only concern now is I'd like to do DWC SOG and the max amount of plants I have seen is 6 plants to a tub ? I need 411 on this please.

Ok I am sold on SOG and I am getting a vented 400 watt HPS and Floros for my Veg area . My only concern now is I'd like to do DWC SOG and the max amount of plants I have seen is 6 plants to a tub ? I need 411 on this please.

The more water per plant the better. You will have less pH fluctuations and less issues. Try to shoot for 3-5 gallons of reservoir per plant.

If possible I would recommend a remote resevoir system. Perhaps an ebb & flo. Keep the resevoir outside the crawlspace hidden in a closet or something. This way you can adjust the ph and nutes without having to crawl through the crawl space. This way you won't have to move or adjust the plants either. Sound interesting?

Wouldn't this be a problem due to the fact the res would be higher than the planter ? Don't I need my res lower than the planter ?

the ebb & gro uses a dual pump and controller bucket system. The reservoir can be at a different level than the plants and controller. It's just the controller that has to be level with the plants. Check out CAP's Ebb & Gro or go check out STIX's journals in his signature above. There are a few other members here using the same setup.

Back
Top Bottom