Need help setting up my first solo grow - Please help and give me some input

Nerotik

Hi all,

I am new here, just joined tonight and I really need some expert/knowledgeable help setting up my first grow. I have helped maintain crops before with my best friend who was an expert grower and he taught me a bit when the opportunity arose but I have never started my own grow from scratch. i would ask my best friend, the guy who dedicated his life to mastering growing techniques and being a passionate and active force in the fight for medical and recreational legalization. Unfortunately he was killed in a car accident two months ago and now not only did I lose my best friend since high school but also my mentor as well. So i am hoping some of you will have the knowledge and generosity to help me design my grow tent for maximum yield and maximum discretion when it comes to odor. I live in Oregon and it is now legal for me to grow here so my only real concern is controlling the odor just out of respect for my neighbors who are great people and I would feel bad if they had to endure an overpowering scent of my herb garden anytime they went into their backyard. Now down to specifics. i plan on getting a Gorilla Grow tent which as I understand is designed to help keep in odor but I doubt it's 100% effective. At first I was going to get the 10x10ft tent but considering the price and the limited space in my backyard shop building I think I am going to get either the 5x9 or the 4x8 tent which will fit better inside my shop and are both also more affordable. Now i should also mention that my goal is to harvest at least 3-5lbs every few months if that is possible.

I really need to maximize my yield because I need it for the pain I have in almost all my joints that is pretty major pain and I have been on oxycodone for the past 5 almost 6 years to manage that pain but my best friend who died was always after me to ditch the pills and go for a natural medicine instead and I am ready to do that. Also I need to provide for my girlfriends uncle who was diagnosed with cancer in his mouth that has spread to his jaw and now up towards his brain and also my girlfriends grandma who also has cancer in fact she just had a relapse after being cancer free for months and on top of that she had a complication where the vein in her leg formed a massive clot almost the entire length of her leg and she required emergency surgery to save her life and the use of her leg. So I need to grow enough to provide a quality, reliable supply for three people, enough to last each of us a few months until the next harvest is ready. Now, on to the topic at hand. Like I said a Gorilla Tent inside a decent sized workshop building. I plan on running at least one probably two 1000HPS lights, a small fan inside the tent for air circulation, only organic nutes, and I will be growing various Indica strains from seed until I can gt a second setup for a clone nursery. Now one problem I am looking at is temperature in the tent. It's cold here in Oregon most of the year and I need to take the temp from the 30's and 40's up to the 70's inside the tent and I was thinking that if the lights don't keep the tent heated I would use one of those radiator style electric heaters you know the ones that just heat and give off heat without any heating elements or fans, and hopefully I can connect it to a thermostat switch so when the tent gets warm enough the heater shuts off as it cools down the switch turns the heater back on. Do they even make one of those? Maybe a humidifier if that is something I need and hopefully it too can be connected to an auto shut off/on switch, do they make those? I also need some kind of fan or pump to blow air into the tent and keep it fresh for my girls to breath, suggestions? now when it comes to the lights do i have to run ducting to them and pump air through to keep them cool even though I need the heat to keep the tent warm or will the bulbs overheat and burn out without it? Also i saw an ozone generator for odor control and was wondering if they are worth it or do I just pump air out a duct and into a filter and let that vent inside the shop instead of blowing it out a window giving it more time to dissipate and hopefully attract less attention if at all. I was also hoping some of you could tell me how many plants I could grow in this kind of setup in a 5x9 or 4x8 tent and if I need to grow them in a SoG pattern or what, do I need to top them during veg and let them get bushy instead of tall?

Also, how many sugar leaves etc do i need to be able to produce a good amount of BHO? I plan on buying one of those Co2 reusable extractors unless one of you can tell me why I would be better off using something else. But I don't want anything to go to waste and I want to get decent/good quantities of BHO but I have no idea how many plants/leaves I need to harvest and process to get a sizable amount of the stuff. Ok, I am gonna stop now, I'm sorry i apparently just lost control of my fingers and typed way more than I had intended but I really need some help from you knowledgeable experienced people and guess i just put all my questions out there at once. I apologize for the long post, but please help any good info you can give me would be appreciated beyond measure and if you have any questions about my plans or proposed setup please ask away, and don't be afraid to correct me or tell me what to do or to something different than how I spoke about it here. Like I said I have been a growers assistant a few times mostly just watering and trimming but now it's time I step up and pilot a show of my own. Thank you all so much, I hope to hear from all of you and again i apologize for such a long post.

Sorry about your friend. How much you are going to yield has so many variables no one can really tell you how to get XX pounds every XX months. So I won't try to do that. But I will address your other points that I can help you with. Odor control? You will need a carbon filter (or filters) to scrub the air coming out of your grow tent. Pretty easy you simply figure out how many CFMs your fan(s) move out of the tent and then get a carbon filter with an equivalent or higher CFM rating. No big thing there. What size tent? Well you have some pretty big aspirations as far as weight harvested goes, so I think you would be better suited with a veg tent and then a flowering tent so you can have plants ready to go into the flower tent as soon as you harvest. Gorilla makes nice tents, never seen one in person so I cannot comment on if they are worth 3 times the price of other tents or not. You are in a legal state so it shouldn't be too hard to go out and make those comparisons. Instead of running two 1000 watt HIDs can I suggest three 600 watt units? You will have more point sources of light, more even distribution of light, and you will be able to place your fixtures closer to your garden. On top of that you will save a little in electricity since 600 watt HIDs are more efficient then 1000 watters. On to the heater situation. Yes, most heaters sold at the big box stores have a thermostat that will do what you want. The problem is that I don't see them doing what you need them to do unless you have multiple units. They are each 1,500 watts usually so they will suck up a lot of juice. Perhaps look into garage/shop heaters. These can run on electricity/kerosene/and other fuel sources, so you will need to do a little research here. You don't need a fan sucking air into your tent, you can use passive intake. It relies on your exhaust fans creating negative pressure and sucking air into your tent passively. They make humidifiers with humidistats but I would look into a grow room controller for your needs. That would probably be a bit better. You may also need a dehumidifier. Depends on the humidity in your shop. For your lights you can run them in a regular open reflector, that's fine. Help you heat the room in the winter. Don't bother with the ozone generator. No one can tell you how many plants you can grow. Anywhere from 2 monsters to 30+ small plants. Depends on your growing style. No one can tell you which style to use, you will have to research these great forums and decide for yourself.

It is apparent from reading your posts that you have many questions. We have all been there. My advice would be to put your credit card away, buy nothing, and spend a few months here researching. Get a notebook, take notes, formulate a plan. Then and only then would I start purchasing equipment. Good luck to you.

Excellent answer, thank you so very much. I am not ready to buy yet, it won't be until at least after the new year so i am trying t do my research now. i figured i would start here and ask you guys exactly what equipment I will probably need and then spend some time shopping around for those items. I just need to know what i need to buy then hunt those things down and hopefully be ready to start growing in or just before spring. So if you can just type out a list of what equipment I need i can start shopping around for it piece by piece and hopefully be up and running in the next 4-5 months. thank you for your time and help.

Back
Top Bottom