Need help with bulbs please

Kmcc

Hey guys..
I have a cabinet 120cm x 50cm x180cm h
And last time I was using 400w hps light. grow was good.. but could I put 600w hps in the cabinet to increase the yield or it would be to intense for the plants?

:welcome: to the forum...

I suspect it would be too strong, and you'd need a dimmable ballast/light.

For that configuration I'd recommend a Mars Hydro SP-250 or TSL-2000. Quantum boards would also be a good choice, Yes, these are LED solutions, but you'd get the light you need with significant power and maintenance savings.

Thank you :) oh yeah them mars hydro look amazing for my cabinet.. I never used led lights are they good as hps for flowering?
As I tried to compare led to hps one place says led is better but others says it's hps..seen some tests to where hps win so wasn't sure and stayed with hps... would that mars hydro do better then hps 400w in flowering?

Here's a link to a post by @Ganjagrandaddy in the Mars Hydro thread. He switched from HPS.

I started growing three years ago. I skipped the HPS, and went straight to LED. There are many poor excuses for grow lights sold through the big on-line retailers. If you decide to go the LED route, stick with our sponsors. They wouldn't be a sponsor for long if they sold crap, or had poor service.

I'd recommend a light with as close a size as possible to your grow area. My first light had six COBs in a small area, about 6" X 8" (15 X 20cm) lighting a 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) tent. The two outer plants had 40% less harvest than the two directly under the light for every grow I used them.

You can probably use your reflector, if standard for a 600W bulb, and you can get a digital electronic ballast for about $80, and use your power cords. Then you can run MH for grow, and HPS for bloom, and it will run at 50%, 75%, 100% and Super.

Hi all. As quoted by salt. , i have been a firm hps user for the last 20nyears and could not believe that L.e.d could do it better. It is a minefield of par , coverage, cobs , chips , drivers , 100000w led's that draw 10 w at the plugs ect.lol
I sat on the Mars thread for a long time before i switched. I live them now. my buds are rock solid beyond anything i have ever achieved with my old set up. I dod make some errors with converting and it cost me some yield but it matched my 1200hps for exactly half the running costs and none of the heat to disperse. I didnt consider penetration enough as i switched halfway through the grow but this was the only loss to hps capabilities and will be sorted with more canopy management and a more penetrating sp250 to complete a 6ft x 4ft flowering coverage. I love the full spectrums and the Mars lights are great value for such good results and tech. I dont look back for a second . Go for it , you wont regret it

Hi all. As quoted by salt. , i have been a firm hps user for the last 20nyears and could not believe that L.e.d could do it better. It is a minefield of par , coverage, cobs , chips , drivers , 100000w led's that draw 10 w at the plugs ect.lol
I sat on the Mars thread for a long time before i switched. I live them now. my buds are rock solid beyond anything i have ever achieved with my old set up. I dod make some errors with converting and it cost me some yield but it matched my 1200hps for exactly half the running costs and none of the heat to disperse. I didnt consider penetration enough as i switched halfway through the grow but this was the only loss to hps capabilities and will be sorted with more canopy management and a more penetrating sp250 to complete a 6ft x 4ft flowering coverage. I love the full spectrums and the Mars lights are great value for such good results and tech. I dont look back for a second . Go for it , you wont regret it
Thank you for info.. most definitely will try them after my nearest grow ..

Thank you :) oh yeah them mars hydro look amazing for my cabinet.. I never used led lights are they good as hps for flowering?
As I tried to compare led to hps one place says led is better but others says it's hps..seen some tests to where hps win so wasn't sure and stayed with hps... would that mars hydro do better then hps 400w in flowering?
Hi Kmcc, our new light Mars TS, and SP are all with high PPE above 2.15umol/j, so they can save at least 30% energy than other lights, some even can save 50% or more. Right now our TSL 2000 is 300w, while SP 250 is 250w, they can beat at least 450w HPS for sure. please don't worry. :green_heart:
Everyone on forum knows me, if the light cannot replace that kinda wattage HPS, I won't mention it. ;)

Hi Kmcc, our new light Mars TS, and SP are all with high PPE above 2.15umol/j, so they can save at least 30% energy than other lights, some even can save 50% or more. Right now our TSL 2000 is 300w, while SP 250 is 250w, they can beat at least 450w HPS for sure. please don't worry. :green_heart:
Everyone on forum knows me, if the light cannot replace that kinda wattage HPS, I won't mention it. ;)

Hey.. will get the ts 2000 soon but I got a question how long it last for till I need to change it?

Hey.. will get the ts 2000 soon but I got a question how long it last for till I need to change it?
you wont regret it I assure you. I grew for decades using hps and swore by it. I now run Mars TSL-2000 and an sp250 and they easily match the 1200w hps if not surpass it by a long way. next to no heat issues to deal with also means a saving on extracting hot air from roasting bulbs. here are my ladies under a Mars sunrise
20200430_124356.jpg
20200430_124016.jpg
20200429_144249.jpg

you wont regret it I assure you. I grew for decades using hps and swore by it. I now run Mars TSL-2000 and an sp250 and they easily match the 1200w hps if not surpass it by a long way. next to no heat issues to deal with also means a saving on extracting hot air from roasting bulbs. here are my ladies under a Mars sunrise
20200430_124356.jpg
20200430_124016.jpg
20200429_144249.jpg
Looks nice :) can't wait to get one :O :D

20200430_124356.jpg
20200430_124016.jpg
20200429_144249.jpg
How close would you recommend to hold them up from the tops?

20200430_124356.jpg
20200430_124016.jpg
20200429_144249.jpg
Hey.. got my new lights tsl 2000 ;)
Thnx for recommendation will update how it goes on harvest day ;)

Attachments

• 20200514_212017.jpg
    20200514_212017.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200514_212007.jpg
    20200514_212007.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 112
I was in a similar situation not to long ago. One thing I did was, asked around for advice and research. Also watched a lot You tube. One thing that jumped at me was the misleading info on some lights, not to mention a lot of people are sponsored. That alone , at least to me , means that they are of course gonna say that this light or that one are great. They get kick backs. So take it how you want, some companies claim they are giving you certain light bands, but they don't. Another thing to look for is, do they have independent testing to verify their claims. The quality of LED diodes, quality of driver?
There are a lot of variables, no shortages of companies making lights. I hope you are happy with your new set up.
In my case I got a Spydr 2x, that I bought on my own lol.
You get what you pay for, and this is one of those cases.
If you haven't seen a You tuber called MIGRO I recommend it!
Peace

I just called my hydro supplier and asked what the life expectancy of the hortilux super hps 1k watt bulbs are a chick picked up the phone and said 9 to 12 months. They warranty for 12 months at 12 12. I used just the cheap 1k bulbs before like the basic ones for 25 bucks each here. Got a deal on amazon for the hortiluxes for 45 each few months ago. I been growing the same stuff a little bit differently then the previous year but. The last few harvests with the hortilux bulbs my same flowers have been litterally 4 or 5x more resiny and denser. They stink so beautifully. Its gonna get better but damn those bulbs are nice af. If anyone does go old school hps . Spend that extra money n get the good bulbs. These flowers are getting better. With the old bulbs it wasnt right at all. Just a stoner moment excuse me.

Hey.. got my new lights tsl 2000 ;)
Thnx for recommendation will update how it goes on harvest day ;)
enjoy your new light. If you start grow jorunal, please tag me :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom