Need help with Lights and Ventilation

BenBlazin

I am about to start my first grow. I built a 6x3x6 grow box/cabinet and I need help with deciding which type of lights to use, CFL or HPS. I have read many different articles and I'm still in confusion about this lighting situation. Im leaning towards using HPS and I was wondering if 2- 400 watt HPS bulbs will give me the sufficient amount of lumens and range of light spectrum? Also, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a cheap way to setup a cheap, yet effective, ventilation system? The back of the box/cabinet is right next to a window and I didn't know if this could aid in ventilation or not. Thanks for reading!

2 400w lights would do ok but 2 600w lights would be better but the 400s will do...just buy air cooled hoods for your lights and get ducting to match the size of the ports on your air cooled hoods then find somewhere to exhaust them you could use the window but you would need to light proof it so light doesn't get in or out the window and use a carbon scrubber on the beginning of the ducting run so it would suck thru filter-light-light-fan-and blow out the window so the smell doesn't get out

Thanks for the help! So, the setup would be: light, filter, ducting, exhaust fan, and then out the window? Then I would need an intake fan bringing cool air in from the surrounding room?

It would go filter>duct>light>duct>fan>duct>light>window pulling air through the filter and pushing air out of the window but cooling the lights in between

Ok, correction. I decided the 6x3x6 might be a little much for my situation. I decided to resize and now I'm going to build a 4 ft long x 3 ft wide x 5 ft tall box. So, I'm still going to go with a 400 w HPS with an air cooled hood, but I'm gonna throw 4x 42 w CFLs in there with it. Yet, I still can't wrap my head around this ventilation thing. I just wanna get it right the first time. Does anyone have a picture that has a similar box?
Questions that I have:
Will the Carbon filter attach to the light or the fan? Or will it be in the middle, with ducting on each side?
For intake, will I need a just a fan or will I have to have ducting to bring cool air to the light?

Help is very much appreciated! Thanks, bros. I would be even more lost if it wasn't for reading the posts on this site.

Back
Top Bottom