Need some advice on watering please

HigherBurning

420 Member
Hi there first grow in coco and the plants are about a month from seed. Potted up from 1L to 15L pots about 10 days ago. They seem happy enough but have some curling on leaves. I dont know if its under or over watering causing it.
Roughly how much water should i be giving these girls every 24 hrs. Im watering by hand half hour after lights on.
Temps are 25-26 and 20-21 night
Humidity 50-60%
PH 5.8 and EC 1.2 water temp 20c
If any more info needed let me know plenty of pics to see whats going on . Thanks everyone.
20200603_205348.jpg
20200603_205333.jpg
20200603_205340.jpg
20200603_205256.jpg
20200603_205258.jpg
20200603_205300.jpg
20200603_205302.jpg
20200603_205254.jpg
20200603_204345.jpg
20200603_204334.jpg

Hey Higher Burning,

Welcome to 420!

I didn’t hear any mention of nutes, what brand / type of nutrients are you using? Coco is totally inert, there is nothing in coco to help your plants grow and water alone won’t get the job done. Although coco looks like soil, it is technically a hydro or water growing method, the only way the plant grows is because of the bottled nutrients mixed into your water. Most hydro / coco bottled nutrients consist of a Part A solution and a Part B solution, this gets your basic NPK going but does not hit the cal mag requirements for a vegging plant. Then there are products like megacrop an all in one nute but that one also still needs a cal mag product added.

I’m way beyond my skill level even talking coco but this bit I know for certain.

I don't grow in Coco but I do know it has to be watered daily and multiple times a day when in flower you can't over water coco. I'm sure one of the Coco crowd will chime in soon.

Oh shit, that's one of those Rockwoods? My bad playa... never went hydro. I thought it was soil.

Rockwool is inert too but yeah you are now using same concepts. No man it’s all good. Yup, hit the bottle Jack! Mix it weak 1/2 strength, when using coco she’s gotta get water every day and and and you gotta be all up in that shizz....

no chlorine’s or chloramines (are you on city tap water?)
gotta mix your nutes and cal-mag then ph your water
do you have a ph pen & calibration fluid, ph up & ph down?
are you checking e.c. / ppm?

You need a coco grower to jump in here

In veg whether in coco or peat moss like in Promix, you want to let your pot almost completely dry out between waterings to promote root growth so my opinion is you are overwatering. I only water about every five days or so at the stage you are at. In flower you want to water every day or two. I use Mega Crop with Promix and I don't adjust pH. There is an iconic thread by @Emilya on watering techniques that is must reading but I can't find the link. :(

Roughly how much water should i be giving these girls every 24 hrs.

Well, you shouldn't ever let coco coir dry out, and there are dry patches evident on several of yours - so my guess would be "more than you're giving now." I've read that, once it dries, much of the work gardeners put into prepping the stuff (presoak in something that contains calcium and some magnesium, e.g. calcium nitrate solution with a bit of Epsom salt) is wasted. And that, if there are pockets of dry coco coir down below the surface in the containers, it becomes difficult to completely rewet them again, that some may still be dry at harvest time. There might be some debate about this - but hydroponics isn't soil, lol; the soil gardener's strategy of 'wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry" does not apply.

Back
Top Bottom