Need Urgent Help

amyjolie

420 Member
I have clones currently under some CFL lighting, and I was planning to move them outside in approximately 1 week... but then I realized that the lighting cycles were practically the complete opposite.

How can I fix this :(

I made a plan.. will this be ok or will it shock the hell out of the plants?

Current indoor lighting cycle (18/6):
--------
ON: 4PM
OFF: 10AM

Needed outdoor lighting cycle (16/8):
-------
SUN UP: 6AM
SUN DOWN: 10PM

Plan:
-----
ON / OFF
Monday - 3PM-9AM (1 hour shift)
Tuesday - 1PM-7AM (2 hour shift)
Wednesday - 12AM-6AM (1 hour shift)
Thursday - 11AM-4AM (1 hour shift and 1 hour less light)
Friday - 10AM-3AM (1 hour shift)
Saturday - 8AM-1AM (2 hour shift)
Sunday - 7AM-11PM (1 hour shift and 1 hour less light)

Monday - Transplant outdoors into 6AM-10PM cycle

Will this work or is it way too harsh on the plants? How can I fix this?

Should I just leave the lighting cycle as it is, then just transplant them? (They would get 18 hours from the CFLs then another 12-16 from outdoor light). That wouldn't shock them too bad since it's still veg lightning cycle right?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm worried about ruining them!

Welcome to 420,amyjolie..:welcome:
Don't apologize for asking questions...that's why we're here:)

Should I just leave the lighting cycle as it is, then just transplant them?
I don't think one day of a longer light period will hurt them at all.

The only thing is,though- you should ease them out into full sun,like put them out in the shade or in indirect sunlight, under a tree or something for a day before exposing them to full sun.
If they've been grown under artificial light up till now, they can react very badly if you suddenly stick them out in direct sunlight.

The plan you have to shorten the light cycle could possibly induce flowering, and If they start to flower ,then they'll have to re-veg (basically un-flower) when you move them outside,which will pause their growth for 3 weeks to a month...you really want to avoid this...doesn't really hurt them,but it's just a pain in the butt to have to wait for them to get going again...

Welcome to 420,amyjolie..:welcome:
Don't apologize for asking questions...that's why we're here:)

I don't think one day of a longer light period will hurt them at all.

The only thing is,though- you should ease them out into full sun,like put them out in the shade or in indirect sunlight, under a tree or something for a day before exposing them to full sun.
If they've been grown under artificial light up till now, they can react very badly if you suddenly stick them out in direct sunlight.

The plan you have to shorten the light cycle could possibly induce flowering, and If they start to flower ,then they'll have to re-veg (basically un-flower) when you move them outside,which will pause their growth for 3 weeks to a month...you really want to avoid this...doesn't really hurt them,but it's just a pain in the butt to have to wait for them to get going again...

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I'm worried because they would get approx 30 hours of straight light before darkness and a switch to 16/8.

TBH all my options worry me I think I'll probably do as you said though, the shock from too much light probably won't be enough put them in flowering or make them hermies. My other options feel more risky :p

You could start now and set your timer,and both on and off times an hour ahead each day till they go outside,then instead of 30 hours of light,they'd only get 23 or so on their first day out...

Carcass has good advice.
Just make sure you are going into longer hours outside as well if your pkanning on getting them bigger out there. If light hours outside are dropping with season, you will go to flower too early.
Northern Hemisphere (holland) April-May plant out ......Southern Hemisphere, September - October plant works.
Can go early out for early flower but pretty much all veg needs to be done indoors to 1/2 final size to get them there early.

This,is,advanced stuff, sorry if its confusing. If not you can manipulate the seasons.....just work around,them..

If the outside light is 16/8 she should be ok- lots of time before the 12 hour nights start.

Hey . Like Carcass said above if your hours are 16/8 outside you should be fine. I try drop my timer by 15 min a week far ahead of time so I'm around 15hrs on indoors. Then harden them off for a day or two or plant them out If it's overcast or cloudy. As far as I've discovered a jump from 18 light to 15 light can stress or induce flowering even though 15 should still be in veg but If the difference isn't too great they should be good. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom