New 4 x 4 grow tent build

I used some pressed wood in my tent once and the moisture just made ita problem
Cedar sounds like a solid choice

Are there different grades of cedar?

There
are multiple different lumber grading organizations in the U.S. and Canada, but when it comes to cedar—specifically Western Red Cedar, the specific type of tree that has the natural rot- and decay-resistant properties cedar is known for—there are two main cedar grading agencies

================================================

Is Cedar a strong wood?

Cedar
is an especially strong wood that is not prone to warping or sagging. Consider cedar items when you want furniture with a rustic look and exceptional durability. Because of its strength, cedar furniture can last for around 30 years. ... For outdoor use, cedar furniture is widely viewed as a good choice

I used some pressed wood in my tent once and the moisture just made ita problem
Cedar sounds like a solid choice

Yeah, press board/particle board can suck. Especially for something like this. It's cheap though. Maybe under the whole tent or something like that, but not inside for sure.

Along the lines of a wooden riser, I see I can get 8ft 1x4 cedar boards for about $7. Cedar being a natural bug repellent, and you can see where my thoughts are going.

This may not be an optimal option. I got to thinking about this and would hate for any vibrations to knock the buckets off the individual risers. Possibility exists to counter that scenario with a little lip around the top edge that is maybe 1/4"-1/2" tall to prevent that.

Looking forward to your return from your trip Dano. Can't wait to see your lights on and plants growing up. :D

Be safe, and while it's work, enjoy what you can of it. :D

Looking forward to your return from your trip Dano. Can't wait to see your lights on and plants growing up. :D

Be safe, and while it's work, enjoy what you can of it. :D

I leave tomorrow and get back Saturday afternoon. I am hoping to get the seeds going as soon as I get back. The riots in Santiago may change things though.

Once I get the grow going you can follow here. I may not do both journals once the tent is finished.

So my trip was cancelled do to safety concerns in Santiago. Looks like I will have more time to work on the build this week and get some seeds going soon.

Safety first isn't a bad thing. :)

I haven't kept up, but are the airlines allowing waivers because of the riots? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I was in Paris last December, and there wasn't a waiver for the "riots" there. Granted they were mostly protests and what not, and not true rioting.

Ran across one of the marches on the Saturday before I left. Was coming back from west of the Louvre and they were headed towards the Arc. Didn't bother me a bit, but they weren't really on point yet either. Was an interesting experience though.

Safety first isn't a bad thing. :)

I haven't kept up, but are the airlines allowing waivers because of the riots? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

I was in Paris last December, and there wasn't a waiver for the "riots" there. Granted they were mostly protests and what not, and not true rioting.

Ran across one of the marches on the Saturday before I left. Was coming back from west of the Louvre and they were headed towards the Arc. Didn't bother me a bit, but they weren't really on point yet either. Was an interesting experience though.
Only for changes. Unless the flight is cancelled they won't give a waiver for cancelling. I just tried.

Well phooey.

Trip insurance? Was it your card or the company? Ours makes you pay your own way up front, then reimburses you. Sucks, but it is what it is. (At least I get the points from it though. :))

That being said, the right card with travel insurance can mitigate eating the cost of a ticket.

I just bought a 2' x 4' x 7" tray for the outside area in case of leaks. Not cheap but neither is the repair after a leak. The volume would be 4 cubic feet or around 30 gallons depending on how high the raised area is. Hopefully the weight of the Chiller 50 lbs and the reservoir 70 lbs won't crush it.

71QJEp0avYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Right after I posted I saw this for half the price. 37" x 24" x 10” or 43" x 27" x 12” . I need to measure, It's the height I am more concerned about allowing access.

61Esdc-wqNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When measuring the 12" height won't work because of the piping coming from the Tent. 7" height would work but the width is really too narrow so I am still looking around. Ideally I need 28" x 40" x 7". 24" would probably work, The Chiller return gets pinched but I may be able to use an elbow to allow the line to fit.

OK the containment idea may be dead. Unless I find something with as flat bottom I would have to raise the buckets in the tent too.

Make one?

Parts list:

(1) pond liner
(1) 1/2 sheet plywood (4'x4')
(2) 8' 1x6
(2) 8' 1x2
(?) screws

Cut a 1x6 and a 1x2 in half (4' lengths)
Cut the other 1x6 and 1x2 to the desired width.
Screw together and make a box.

Put on top of plywood, trim plywood, then screw plywood to bottom of box.

Line across bottom and up sides with pond liner. Carefully fold corners.
Screw 1x2's onto the inside of the 1x6 at the top, sandwiching the liner between. (Pre-drill a small pilot hole for your screws to prevent splitting.)

Now you have a flood box.

Want it taller? 7" maybe?

Switch out the 1x6 (which is 5.5in wide) for (4) 1x4. Cut two of them into 4' lengths. Set 2 of them on edge, on top of each other. Then either use flat brackets to keep them together, or if you have a kreg jig, nows the time. ;)

Do the same for the width sides, with the stacking and joining. Etc.

Not the most pretty solution, but it would work and do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom