New 4 x 4 grow tent build

So much growth for 9 days

No kidding! I've got an auto Lemon Drop on day 8, and it's just starting to get its second set of true leaves.

Hoping it's on node 5 in 2 weeks so I can top it. :D

No kidding! I've got an auto Lemon Drop on day 8, and it's just starting to get its second set of true leaves.

Hoping it's on node 5 in 2 weeks so I can top it. :D
I am looking at the 4th node to start topping. I plan on topping them twice. I may be ready for the first topping this weekend by the amount these are growing. My first grow only had a little over two weeks before I put them into flower cycle. I had very little height in the closet so when they were 12" I started flowering and still ran out of room. Because I plan to ScrOG the plants I will spend more time in Veg cycle.

I am looking at the 4th node to start topping. I plan on topping them twice. I may be ready for the first topping this weekend by the amount these are growing. My first grow only had a little over two weeks before I put them into flower cycle. I had very little height in the closet so when they were 12" I started flowering and still ran out of room. Because I plan to ScrOG the plants I will spend more time in Veg cycle.

I'm running auto's in my "lab" tent, so I'll get just 1 shot at it, and that's if I'm lucky. In that light, I'm going for a quadline. Top between nodes 4 & 5, keep 3 & 4, trim off 1 & 2. Makes for an X shape, and gives same number (4) as topping node 3, and then topping each end one more time.

But, being auto's, they have to be growing well and you can't do it any later than day 21 or risk stunting them.

For my RDWC, I may do the same, but then top each of the 4 branches one more time.

I'm running auto's in my "lab" tent, so I'll get just 1 shot at it, and that's if I'm lucky. In that light, I'm going for a quadline. Top between nodes 4 & 5, keep 3 & 4, trim off 1 & 2. Makes for an X shape, and gives same number (4) as topping node 3, and then topping each end one more time.

But, being auto's, they have to be growing well and you can't do it any later than day 21 or risk stunting them.

For my RDWC, I may do the same, but then top each of the 4 branches one more time.
I haven't grown autos yet. Good info to know if I do. Any reason you prefer autos?

I haven't grown autos yet. Good info to know if I do. Any reason you prefer autos?

It's not really a preference, it's become a quest.

The short (as possible) story is with the seed order for my RDWC, I got some auto freebies. So I planned to pop those, and get a little bit sooner, while building out my RDWC. They didn't pop, but I was already committed to the timeline, so I went ahead and picked up some good genetics from FastBuds. Popping those now, and 2 strains (out of 4) have already sprouted (they are on day 2 today) and are now in their final home. The other two aren't far behind, and should be popping in the next few days. Also during that time is when I got the Gorilla for my primary, so I moved the old 4x4 into service as my secondary and booted my 4x2.

If you need something to line your bird cage or cat box, my Lab/Secondary journal is where this is going on (with an internal link to the trouble in the original attempt where the shit seeds never popped.)

Day 10

Roots are starting to grow out of the basket so I reduced the water level. I was planning to test the system to see if lowering the water to 7" would be able to balance today anyway.

IMG-0957.jpg

I lowered the water to 7" inches, about an inch below the basket.
IMG-0974.jpg

IMG-0960.jpg

I also took some pictures with the lights off using a flash. The leaves looked pail under the LEDs so I was curious. With the flash the leaves are a deeper green.
PNT_1520.jpg

PNT_1524.jpg

The 4th node is just starting to show. The nodes are very tight maybe too tight.
PNT_1510.jpg

Here is an up date from my Grow page.

Pictures from yesterday. The Cinderella 99 (Sativa) is on the left. The right is the Kosher Kush (Indica)
PNT_1703.jpg

PNT_1702.jpg

PNT_1701.jpg

PNT_1700.jpg

Today I set up the ScroG screen after topping twice and training the main branches.

I also did a little lollipopping while I was at it.

To set up the net I used the back bar from the Gorilla High CFM kit and one extra pole and attached them vertically to the two horizontal bars already in place. This allows me to have more room to work with as I train the branches towards the front of the tent. I can attach the net to the corner poles if needed.
bars.jpg

IMG-0984.jpg

I used some thumb screw type hose clamps to keep the rods from moving. This idea was provided by Gazoo.
IMG-0985.jpg

IMG-0989.jpg

After about 30 minutes of moving the branches. My heart was pounding hoping I wouldn't snap a branch.
IMG-0992.jpg

IMG-0997.jpg

IMG-0999.jpg

I also checked the top off reservoir. It's working really well and already used 2 1/2 gals of water.
IMG-1002.jpg

With the day off I had some time to mess around and created this year's Christmas card. I wonder how long it will take the relatives to realize those aren't Hollies.

PNT_1700b.png

Weekly update on the grow.

This is day 36 of veg.

There are two branches on the Kush that are racing upward and I have no place to put them at this point. One is in the center of the two plants the other is in the back right corner. I will adjust when I raise the netting. Other than that I think the Screen is looking pretty good.
PNT_1722.jpg

PNT_1723.jpg

PNT_1724.jpg

Some lessons learned so far and some changes I will make next grow.

1. Use the taller 13 gallon buckets to allow more air space and make the humped pipe positioning easier. I plan to switch to the 13 gal buckets next grow. You get 6 more inches of bucket height to work with.
2. Buy a strong tent. There is too much to loose to skimp on the home of your plants. It will soon cost less than you will spend on nutrients.
3. Check the humped pipe for leaks before you install it.
4. Never leave the room while you are filling or draining the system. Actually my biggest flooding occurred while I was in the room I just had the music so loud I couldn't hear the water running on the floor.
5. Buy a Wet-vac earlier.
6. Don't smoke too much weed when you're measuring nutes or at least write it down very quickly.
7. Place warning reminder signs before you hit your head on the lights for the third time.
8. Put a limit on your Amazon account spending.
9. Hold onto the bucket real tight when your drilling a 6" hole in the lid. I think the first one flew about 10 feet.

I'm sure I will have more as we go further.

Weekly Update:

I flipped the ladies 4 days ago after lollipopping and letting them recoup for a few days. I also changed the nutes to the Jack's Bloom recipe for the next two weeks.
_LAN1759.jpg

While changing the water I noticed roots coming through the 3" pipe. If the pipe clogs it could be trouble. I may consider some kind of screen next time especially the pipe between the two back buckets.

_LAN1755.jpg

I switched the Bloom lights on (red bandwidth) along with the Veg lights and will be running the 12 hr cycle lights on from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
_LAN1754.jpg

Pictures from today. They are already starting to stretch.
_LAN1812.jpg

_LAN1813.jpg

_LAN1814.jpg

Picture with lights off and using a flash.
_LAN1811.jpg

Cam shot: The red really makes it difficult for the camera.
Untitled-5.jpg

Weekly Update: Day 52 - 12th day of Flower.

A lot of stretching over the last week and keeping up with the pruning has been pretty touch. I plan a trim tomorrow and a water and nute change in 2 days.

This week Pics
_LAN2018.jpg

_LAN2019.jpg

_LAN2022.jpg

_LAN2020.jpg

_LAN2021.jpg

_LAN2024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom