New grower, help!

jack001

I have 18 day old red dwarf plants and they are really skinny and drooping so I have tried to support them with straws etc. I have noticed that already they seem to be yellowing on the edges of the 6 or 7 tiny leaves they have.

This is only my second time at growing but I have done everything the same as last time which turned out fine. Only diff this time is have planted a month later but in hot place in Europe so no problems there I think. The stalks are much longer than I remember though, could they be stretching for the sun? I planted them in pots inside and kept them there for a week or so and have now placed them outside in the sun. Should I pad up a bit with more soil? How do I address the yellowing? Many thanks.

Re: New grower, help!!!

Hey jack so 18 days old total or into flower or stage two or what? If only 18 days old then use some copper or bamboo for support!!!! They are reaching for light thats why the get lanky!!!! It might be time to check your PH and give it some cal/mag!!!! Its also looking for mucho nitrogen at this stage!!!! How hot is it outside while its in the sun? Jolla

Jack if its really tall have you considered LSTing? Low stress trainging? There are many a great threads here that explain these techniques!!!! And it might be time to nute especially if there just chillin in outdoor dirt!!!!

If there is room in the pots, definitely add more soil. Use a decent mix that is not too heavy that drains well.

35°C is hot. If you had them in a cool house and set them out in the direct sun without acclimating them to the heat, they might be falling over for the same reason that you'd fall over if someone grabbed you out of a cool environment and tossed you into an oven, lol. Young plant, not a well-developed root system and not a lot of leaves means that it cannot easily uptake and transpire enough moisture to help cool itself which would tend to exasperate the problem. So could a small pot (heats up much quicker) or a dark-colored one (ditto). Or they might just desperately need water, it's kind of hard to tell without pictures.

appreciate your time and comments, will add more soil and keep them in a slightly shadier part for a while till they climatize.

Back
Top Bottom