New Grower looking for lighting advice

@DigitalNomad

As I noob to growing would you be as kind to check what I said and highlight anything that was incorrect? (probably the whole thing!)
just so I know in future! All knowledge is welcomed!

No problem if you do not have time!

Cheers!
GrownSavage

@GrownSavage - I am new here, see if I don't screw this up lol

"Cfls will do the job just fine I prefer HPS just for the fact of Dual Spectrum as I only have one room so the Dual Spectrum HPS works for my Vegging And Flowering Although the downfall on HPS is the amount of heat it produces but you can manage that with the correct ventilation,"

--- I use strictly HPS too, I have tried MH. I just detected better flowering results with HPS ( I do about 6 harvest a year). My 'other grow room' uses a 400 watt for veg, but still - a closet is set aside for clones - with CFLs. Again, the key to me is the color rating as well as lumens. You want about 850- 1000 lumens for clones, about 2,500 for vegging, and 10,000 for flowering. The color rating of CFLs is in Kelvin - rather than this 'plant PAR' that HID bulbs are created by. The CFLs that are useful in the plant spectrum are either in the 2800/3600K to 5500 to 6500K, known as "daylight" or "warm white".
You are correct in the above, the heat BTW is specifically - 600 watt puts out about 2,400 BTUs of heat, while 1,000 watts put out about 5,000 BTUs. --

-- The CFL bulbs should have both the K rating and lumens printed on the box, this helps you figure out how much lumens you need. a 3x3 closet can do find with 2 CFLs (can't remember lumen rating right now)--

Like I say the two things what turned me away from CFL is changing the bulb when going into Flower I am not sure if you can get Dual spectrum CFLs I am sure one of veterans on here will correct me if you can, not a massive problem but I am one for the easy life :D and the fact I have mine in a naturally freezing room I have had to also take extra measures to keep roots warm at night with a thermometer heating system (yellow heating pipes wrapped around my pots so when they get below 20degrees C.

---- mix or change the Kelvin rating of the CFL bulb - for flowering you wanted the lower spectrum - the 2800/3600K, for vegging t- you want the 5500/6500K lamps. You can use both. (note - I also raise dragons, and use CFLS with UV A/B - I will try on plants soon) ---t
-- yes, it is a DISADVANTAGE sometimes with the lack of heat put out by CFLs - you want the soil to be warmer than ambient air. You want temperature variations to bring about the plant's transpiration. (ten degrees variation is just fine, be consistent with temp)---

I believe you will need a minimum of a 250W Cfl for a meter squared?? bonus of Cfl is massive heat reduction good for rooms which do not need to extra heat or are hard to get appropriate ventilation in, HPS is good for rooms which need the extra heat like mine."

---- no fricking idea, I hate math. Measuring lightfoot print is hard - I try to use the Cervante's guide - "10,000 lumens" for flowering goes like this - the 600 watter puts out about 80,000 lumens(at 1 foot away), with the rule of light loss - I can expect 20,000 lumens about 2 feet away - thus I have about 2.5 feet of very usable light. I did find a cut off for 'too much light" - buds that grow within 6inches of the aircooled lamps tend to show heat stress. All this depends on the strain too - my sativas are pretty open in the middle and get lots of light, while I have had indicas so dense in the middle it was wasted space IMO.--

DN

@grownsavage - I am new here, see if I don't screw this up lol

"Cfls will do the job just fine I prefer HPS just for the fact of Dual Spectrum as I only have one room so the Dual Spectrum HPS works for my Vegging And Flowering Although the downfall on HPS is the amount of heat it produces but you can manage that with the correct ventilation,"

--- I use strictly HPS too, I have tried MH. I just detected better flowering results with HPS ( I do about 6 harvest a year). My 'other grow room' uses a 400 watt for veg, but still - a closet is set aside for clones - with CFLs. Again, the key to me is the color rating as well as lumens. You want about 850- 1000 lumens for clones, about 2,500 for vegging, and 10,000 for flowering. The color rating of CFLs is in Kelvin - rather than this 'plant PAR' that HID bulbs are created by. The CFLs that are useful in the plant spectrum are either in the 2800/3600K to 5500 to 6500K, known as "daylight" or "warm white".
You are correct in the above, the heat BTW is specifically - 600 watt puts out about 2,400 BTUs of heat, while 1,000 watts put out about 5,000 BTUs. --

-- The CFL bulbs should have both the K rating and lumens printed on the box, this helps you figure out how much lumens you need. a 3x3 closet can do find with 2 CFLs (can't remember lumen rating right now)--

Like I say the two things what turned me away from CFL is changing the bulb when going into Flower I am not sure if you can get Dual spectrum CFLs I am sure one of veterans on here will correct me if you can, not a massive problem but I am one for the easy life :D and the fact I have mine in a naturally freezing room I have had to also take extra measures to keep roots warm at night with a thermometer heating system (yellow heating pipes wrapped around my pots so when they get below 20degrees C.

---- mix or change the Kelvin rating of the CFL bulb - for flowering you wanted the lower spectrum - the 2800/3600K, for vegging t- you want the 5500/6500K lamps. You can use both. (note - I also raise dragons, and use CFLS with UV A/B - I will try on plants soon) ---t
-- yes, it is a DISADVANTAGE sometimes with the lack of heat put out by CFLs - you want the soil to be warmer than ambient air. You want temperature variations to bring about the plant's transpiration. (ten degrees variation is just fine, be consistent with temp)---

I believe you will need a minimum of a 250W Cfl for a meter squared?? bonus of Cfl is massive heat reduction good for rooms which do not need to extra heat or are hard to get appropriate ventilation in, HPS is good for rooms which need the extra heat like mine."

---- no fricking idea, I hate math. Measuring lightfoot print is hard - I try to use the Cervante's guide - "10,000 lumens" for flowering goes like this - the 600 watter puts out about 80,000 lumens(at 1 foot away), with the rule of light loss - I can expect 20,000 lumens about 2 feet away - thus I have about 2.5 feet of very usable light. I did find a cut off for 'too much light" - buds that grow within 6inches of the aircooled lamps tend to show heat stress. All this depends on the strain too - my sativas are pretty open in the middle and get lots of light, while I have had indicas so dense in the middle it was wasted space IMO.--

DN

Briliant learnt something new again that why i love this forum!

Cheers

GrownSavage

Back
Top Bottom