New grower, looking for some suggestions

Donch

420 Member
I'm a new grower, have been reading this forum as well as a bunch of other platforms.. podcasts, you tune videos... ect

I'm from canada, have my insulated 6x6 grow room inside a shop partially insulated. I am bringing fresh air from this shop, and exhausting outside.
I have started my plants with a king led panel from amazon (2000watt equiv).. so they say. The draw is approx 350 watts. I would guess the light is more comparable to a 600 watt.
I've recently added a 630 de cmh. Planning on putting a 2x4 tent I side the room and putting the led in there to continue veg... use the cmh to flower.
I am growing in soil... a mix with perlite, and some compost in it.
I am using fox farm trio nutrience at half strength.
I am watering every 4 or 5 days, and basically doing a feed - feed- flush regiment.
I inspect my plants daily, had a brief encounter with fungus knats... which was cleared up with nemotoads.
I use a bug be gone insecticide soap spray, as well as some generic bottle I got from my hydro shop.

I am growing cbd dream, and blue cookies. One one of my cbd dream plants I starting getting what looks to be like nuit burn. I had a watering where I think I might have double dosed nuits.

It however still seems to be showing... I'm wondering if it may be something else. Its primarily on one plant... but I see some on the others. I look at my leaves all the time with a 60 to 100x lense.

Anyone have any suggestions on what this might be and how to treat?

Attachments

• 20181015_193442.jpg
    20181015_193442.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20181015_193418.jpg
    20181015_193418.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20181015_193355.jpg
    20181015_193355.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20181015_193348.jpg
    20181015_193348.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20181015_193329.jpg
    20181015_193329.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 109
I am really not exactly sure. I have one of those yellow pens to test ph... I get 5.8 to 6.2.... but I bought a ph tester from root farms? The type you put the drops in the water and then compare to a scale... it shows my ph at 7.

There is a tool to adjust ph on the pen... but how would I know what to adjust it to?

I'm using my standard well water... we are in the country.... it is "hard water"

And no... I've felt it's been close enough to not having to adjust?

Hard water usually has a higher pH than the 6 your pen shows. You don’t soften the water do you? Compost can reduce the soil pH as well. It’s just I see a slight calcium magnesium deficiency on your plants which can be pH related. Or I may be stoned.

I am really not exactly sure. I have one of those yellow pens to test ph... I get 5.8 to 6.2.... but I bought a ph tester from root farms? The type you put the drops in the water and then compare to a scale... it shows my ph at 7.

There is a tool to adjust ph on the pen... but how would I know what to adjust it to?

I'm using my standard well water... we are in the country.... it is "hard water"

And no... I've felt it's been close enough to not having to adjust?

Somethings very wrong with one of your PH testers. The pen should come pre-calibrated. It should also have come with some packets of crystals that you use to re-calibrate. Google how to do it. There are videos. I don't know what the other one is. How accurate is it suppose to be? If your PH pen is new, there isn't any reason other than bad luck that it shouldn't be accurate.

PH under 7 is acidic. Over 7 is base. From your soil description it sounds like you want a PH after you have added any nutrients of 6.5, but that's a big if. Buy some PH up/down to achieve that. You should test your run off.

1st 2 pics look like splash marks from watering (not unusual). 3rd pic is definitely nute burn. Either flush it or just continue with water for the next week. It should be fine. 4th looks like mites/gnat damage. Yes, they are a pain. It sounds like you've done the right thing. Odds are they will be back, so just keep doing what you are doing.

You should really sort out your PH, so you know what it is. In my experience the big problems occur during flower, but you aren't doing yourself any favors by guessing at something so basic to your plants ability to ingest nutrients.

FYI

In the first one you are soil, so on the right.

:passitleft:

I would also say cal mag isses probably ph related.
Thats why i am scared to use soil compared to coco. I know whats in their and exactly what I'm feeding it.
Had big problems before. Transplanted clones from coco into soil that was probably to hot. And took a month to come right. Waist time and elec.
Good luck.
Just remember that those marks will not go away. Keep eye on the new growth.

Good luck.

Ok... I have calibrated my ph meter... I think... what a pos. Maybe I need to buy a better one... this bouncing all over map..... but it was definitely aptly reading low. I'm showing my tap water ( hard well water) is 6.8... I'm going to flush my plants again today.. I'll adjust the ph down to 6.5. Will measure next time I do nuets....

Good going. I imagine when you add your neutriants it’s pretty close to 6.5. Aside from the guy with nute burn I don’t think you need to flush them. If you are going to flush that one, I’d do the last watering at 1/4 strength.

Ok... I just adjusted my ph to 6.5 with 1.5 tbsp of vinegar for 4 l.... seem to take it to 6.5... flushed plants until run off.... I ph ed my runoff... identical ph.. 6.5.

I had a real good look at plants... a fair bit of new growth has burn spots and some holes... I'm afraid something is taking hold. Looked at leaves plucked off for bugs on both sides.... nothing.

I still have some nemotoads.... should I be applying these??
More pictures attached

Attachments

• 20181016_131022.jpg
    20181016_131022.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20181016_131015.jpg
    20181016_131015.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20181016_130949.jpg
    20181016_130949.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181016_130947.jpg
    20181016_130947.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 104
The shine of the leaves is from the insecticide soap I sprayed all plants with

I'd suggest flushing it and hitting it with a dose of CalMag.
Don't try to make it complicated, keep it as simple as possible or you'll never be able to trace an issue that may arise.
I only feed mine once a week and then only water once or twice a week (I let the plant tell me). Also make sure it is draining the excess water off.
This is my current CBD Dream. Overall, your plants look good.

Nematodes have a shelf life. If they’re at the end of theirs I would use them. If not, I’d hold them in reserve in case the cycle starts up again. My own experience is the cycle from egg to pest is around 5-7 days. Another harmless thing to use is diatomaceous earth. You sprinkle it on the soil. Anything crawling over it will die. It basically shreds their bodies. Are you observing any of them flying around? Hanging some sticky tape catches the ones that are flying. It’s a good way of checking things out when you aren’t there to observe.

Did you flush them as in run 3 x as much water through as the pot holds? If so, you needed to reset the nutrients on the final water. 1/4 strength is normal.

Hope this helps.

No bugs noticed at all.. other that there are some leaves with holes in them. . I have yellow sticky cards ... should put new ones up I guess.

Flushing basically just watered with 2x as much water as I normally use, until I had a good stream of runoff.

Was thinking next water will be with 1/2 strength neuts.

Normally my plants only get water every 4 or 5 days...

Back
Top Bottom