New Grower's Journal - Northern Lights Auto By RQS

So day 36 today and last night I did a heavy defoliation of the plants. This might be a little late since 3 of the plants are almost week 1 from start of flower, but I felt like it was my last chance to do this.
So I cut everything down that was small and left just the main bud sites. And today they seem to have grown already, so I am hoping they're able to recover quick and grow the flowers. I gave them a little bit of plain well water at Ph6.4. Next time we're going to feed them at 1/2 dose of nutrients and water a little more. 1.5L per plant.

Let me know what you guys think. And I included a pure natural light pic finally.

20240211_120637~2.jpg

20240211_120902~2.jpg

20240211_122344~2.jpg

20240211_122520~2.jpg
Hello!
The plant is good looking, although I'd say that might be, just might be it could go for some manganese, just a guess due to more light color of the leaves center
Also might need more light

Day 37 - I fed them today. I bought some extra nutrients. I got the tiger bloom and bud candy for flower development.
I used 6ml in 2 gallons of CalMag, Tiger Bloom and Bud Candy, which is roughly half of the recommended dose for each.
I used about 1.5L of water for each plant. They are recovering pretty good from my last plucking and I am hoping this will give them a boost.
I also leveled the plant canopies by lifting the smaller plants and onto stands. They're all about even in height now with the stands.

20240212_123204.jpg

20240211_235029.jpg

Lookin good :thumb:

Check my maths, but 6ml in 2 US Gal = appx 1.25ml/L
Manufacturers have tested up to 4ml/L so you might not be getting the best out of it?
Hi Roy,
2 gallons is roughly 7.5L, unless I messed that up.
So the tiger bloom recommended dose is 10ML per gallon. I mixed 6ML in 2 gallons so I did about a 1/3 dose roughly. My math is off brother. CalMag recommended is 5ML per gallon. I used 6ML for 2gallon. So a little more than 1/2 dose. And Bud Candy recommends 2ML per liter. I had about 7.5L and added 6ML so a little under half a dose.
I guess I could have given it more Tiger Bloom. I will watch the plants and maybe up the dose next time depending on how they react. It's the first time I'm feeding them these nutes.
Please let me know if I messed the math up and if you still think I underfed them.

Oh and also I read somewhere that the recommended doses on synthetic nutrients is meant for photo periods. So it's always recommended to give less to autoflowers. I'm just experimenting on my first grow so if I'm wrong just give me a heads up.

Hi Roy,
2 gallons is roughly 7.5L, unless I messed that up.
So the tiger bloom recommended dose is 10ML per gallon. I mixed 6ML in 2 gallons so I did about a 1/3 dose roughly. My math is off brother. CalMag recommended is 5ML per gallon. I used 6ML for 2gallon. So a little more than 1/2 dose. And Bud Candy recommends 2ML per liter. I had about 7.5L and added 6ML so a little under half a dose.
I guess I could have given it more Tiger Bloom. I will watch the plants and maybe up the dose next time depending on how they react. It's the first time I'm feeding them these nutes.
Please let me know if I messed the math up and if you still think I underfed them.

Oh and also I read somewhere that the recommended doses on synthetic nutrients is meant for photo periods. So it's always recommended to give less to autoflowers. I'm just experimenting on my first grow so if I'm wrong just give me a heads up.
Converting that lot to ml/L is gonna be a long pause...
:hookah:

Day 38 -

I don't wanna speak to soon but the plants look like they're loving the last feed. Already they look bushier and taller in just a day. The buds have stretched significantly in a day. I'm surprised how healthy they look. We keep going.
I am going to let the soil dry out completely and then just water them next and skip the nutrients. I will up the dose on the next feed.

20240213_140810.jpg

Day 39 - I've come across a couple of issues. The plants seem to be growing fine but I am finding a few leaves with some problems.
#1 - some orangish brown spots appearing in a few leaves on 1 plant.

#2 - I am finding some damaged leaves that look like they're being eaten. I can't find or see any bugs. I have sprayed neem oil a while back and no sign of bugs on the yellow stickies. There's quite a few leaves I found like this.

Does anyone know what these could be?

Let me know please. Thanks!

20240214_150801.jpg

20240214_150744.jpg

This whole post is edited...

So after doing some research I have found 3 main reasons for the above mentioned issues.

#1 - Low Humidity. I have turned the humidifier off because I thought my humidity was too high. Well it got too low and it could have caused the splits in the leaves.
#2 - Light burn. Since I turned both switches on a few days ago I felt like my light was too close. So I just now adjusted it to be about 4-6 inches higher than it was. Hopefully this will fix the spots on my leaves as I think they're just light burnt. Most of the leaves affected are on the outside and touching the reflective walls. Also, spilled a few drops of water on the leaves while watering could have caused this.
#3 - And finally, Wind burn. I adjusted the angle of my fan the other day to face towards the plants, so this could have caused dry splits in leaves. I have returned the fan angle to the previous one.

This should fix these issues but I will keep watching.

It really all comes back to not having a good light. I am 100% upgrading my light on the next grow, which is coming right after this one ends. Learning a lot here for sure.

Thanks!

Day 40 - Milestone day. We watered with plain well watered Ph at 6.5. 1L per plant. The plant in the picture is plant #1 and its by far the tallest. 4 plants in a 4x2x5 tent is not ideal but for some reason this plant just keeps growing faster than the others. It has a lot of bud sites and its ahead of the others in the flowering phase as well.

I am contemplating doing some more defoliation but I don't know if its too late or not as they are all in the pre flower/flower stage.

The humidity and temp are back to normal and I'm just watching them grow every day. I think we're around the half way mark at this point or maybe a little past half.

20240215_170254.jpg

20240215_170309.jpg

Day 40 - Milestone day. We watered with plain well watered Ph at 6.5. 1L per plant. The plant in the picture is plant #1 and its by far the tallest. 4 plants in a 4x2x5 tent is not ideal but for some reason this plant just keeps growing faster than the others. It has a lot of bud sites and its ahead of the others in the flowering phase as well.

I am contemplating doing some more defoliation but I don't know if its too late or not as they are all in the pre flower/flower stage.

The humidity and temp are back to normal and I'm just watching them grow every day. I think we're around the half way mark at this point or maybe a little past half.

20240215_170254.jpg

20240215_170309.jpg
The natural light pics look good.
I am not a fan of defoliation for the sake of doing it.
I trim under her skirt after stretch, day 21ish of flower.
The marks look like typical nutrient issues & wear & tear.
Get some natural light pics of it.
As for as the holes go that's a problem.
Leaf matter doesn't disappear so something is removing it.
Look underneath for poop, eggs babies anything unusual.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

The natural light pics look good.
I am not a fan of defoliation for the sake of doing it.
I trim under her skirt after stretch, day 21ish of flower.
The marks look like typical nutrient issues & wear & tear.
Get some natural light pics of it.
As for as the holes go that's a problem.
Leaf matter doesn't disappear so something is removing it.
Look underneath for poop, eggs babies anything unusual.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Bill, I appreciate you once more. You're a legend and if the grow goes well I'd love to send you some smoke. :)

As far as bugs I have looked and looked and I see no trace of any tiny bugs or larvae or anything that resembles any insect. I don't think the leaves are losing matter even though it may look like it in the pics. They seem brittle and it seems they're splitting. It could definitely be bugs. But I have treated the soil and I have sticky pads in the tent so I would assume I would see something if they were there. I look at the plants daily trying to catch something but nothing so far.

Either way here is some better pictures. 3 of the 4 plants seem to be doing great and are growing rapidly. The 4th plant looks stunned. Not sure why. Could be because I kept defoliating it or it could be other reason. This particular plant was dropped as a child. Out of a solo cup so it's been an experimental plant for me. Tried different things on it so I'm not surprised. Anyway, I have found some info on splitting leaves and according to a few posts online it could be because of low humidity levels or light burn so I assumed that's the issue because I did mess with both this past week.

20240216_135302.jpg

20240216_135250.jpg

20240216_135236.jpg

20240216_135147.jpg

20240216_135134.jpg

20240216_135115.jpg

Day 43 - Gave them a full feed this morning. I don't think I have been feeding the plants enough to be fair so I decided to give them a boost and see how they react.

Feed mix = 2 gallons of water with 22ML of Tiger bloom, 10ML of CalMag, and 15ML of Bud Candy.

Ph came out perfect without adjusting at 6.5 and each plant got around 1.5L of water.

Will watch what happens and keep updated.

Oh and PPM ended up around 720PPM.

So today is actually day 43. I might have messed up my days on here. Did some LST last night with the plant benders and today the plants are straight again. Plucked a few leaves off as well that weren't needed and we're covering up bud sites. Pics are not natural light but it gives an idea.

20240217_194341.jpg

20240217_194352.jpg

20240217_194357.jpg

20240217_220953.jpg

20240217_221207.jpg

20240217_221214.jpg

20240218_115425.jpg

Day 43 - Gave them a full feed this morning. I don't think I have been feeding the plants enough to be fair so I decided to give them a boost and see how they react.

Feed mix = 2 gallons of water with 22ML of Tiger bloom, 10ML of CalMag, and 15ML of Bud Candy.

Ph came out perfect without adjusting at 6.5 and each plant got around 1.5L of water.

Will watch what happens and keep updated.

Oh and PPM ended up around 720PPM.
Do you put calmag in the plain water first?
The other stuff according to the schedule?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Do you put calmag in the plain water first?
The other stuff according to the schedule?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Bill, I'm not sure I get that. Are you saying I should feed CalMag with plain water separate from the nutrients? Because Im using all liquid nutrients same I've been mixing them all together with the CalMag when I feed them.

Let me know bud. 🙏

Bill, I'm not sure I get that. Are you saying I should feed CalMag with plain water separate from the nutrients? Because Im using all liquid nutrients same I've been mixing them all together with the CalMag when I feed them.

Let me know bud. 🙏
Put the calmag in your plain water first and mix well.
Then add your nutrients to in order.
Then feed the girls.
Calmag helps the roots pickup nutrients aswell as provide minerals.
Win win. ;)
But it goes in first.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Put the calmag in your plain water first and mix well.
Then add your nutrients to in order.
Then feed the girls.
Calmag helps the roots pickup nutrients aswell as provide minerals.
Win win. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Oh ok. I will do that from now on. I was just mixing them in without any particular order.

I am feeding around every 7 days. I water once or twice in between with plain water.

Looks like they are taking well to the last big feed. I might even up the dose a little on the next feed.

Thanks for letting me know!!!

I find it best to add the nutrients to the mixture in order they appear on the schedule.
Always calmag first though.
But following the schedule ml/l per week is important aswell.
Then in soil the dry period must be established.
Try not to give drinks In-between.
Always feed or water to runoff, no half measures.
I find these habits helpful. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Day 44 - Watered the plants today. Plain well water at pH6.4.
Plant #4 is still really behind and soil was still wet so I didn't water #4. I ordered a new light today because I think I can still save the plant so I will be installing it in the next few days when it comes in.

It's a 2x4x5 tent with a shitty light so I'm not surprised not all the plants are doing great. Plant #1 is in the pic and by far the furthest ahead.

20240219_154824.jpg

20240219_154633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom