New to cloning please help

You can spend 100s of dollars getting started if you do aeroponics and tables and etc...

But you really don't need all that much to get started successfully. Here is a list of things you need for budget cloning:

$14.00 - Grodan Rockwool Cubes (1.5 Inches) 45 Per Pack

$6.00 - Hydrofarm CKTRAY Cut Kit Tray

$19.00 - Clonex CLO100 Rooting Compound Gel, 100ML

$24.00 - Clonex CCSQT Clone Solution, 1-Quart

Then all you have to do is a search on this site for "cloning with rockwool" and follow along. For less than $60.00 - you can have 45 clones. Buy more rockwool and you will be good for another 45 as you will have enough nutrients for many, many more than that.

Most people can get 80 to 90% success rate using rockwool.

The process really is "Cut it. Dip it. Plant it. Apply cloning mixture when rockwool is dry. Wait aoout two weeks for roots to show."

There are also videos available on youtube which should help.

Thank you for your interest in helping me and my small setup any other info is gratefully appreciated

Hi DANKK,

When I saw you mention your "small setup" I thought to offer an alternative to the above mentioned products. I'm pretty new to indoor growing but I managed to successfully clone 6 cuttings off one of my plants by dipping the base of the cutting in some rooting hormone powder that I got from a local big box home improvment store (Lowes or Home Depot although I think I saw it in a Wal-mart garden center also) and putting the cutting in a glass of distilled water. I changed the water in the cup every couple days and after 7 or 8 days started seeing little bumps on the stems that I took to be the start of roots. I took the cuttings out of the water and planted them directly into soil identical to the soil the original "mother" plant was growing in. I did sprinkle some more of the rooting hormone powder into the soil first. I soaked the soil pretty thoroughly with some plain distilled water and covered with a humidity dome. Misted 2 or 3 time over the course of the next 5 days and then removed the dome.

In all fairness, I did take 9 cuttings and only 6 of them lived so can't claim to have acheived an 80-90% success rate, but I only spent about $6 or $8 dollars on the rooting hormone and I could pick it up immediately rather than ordering and waiting on shipping. My wife roots cuttings of Basil frequently (when she cuts more than she needs immediately) by just sticking them a glass of tap water and sitting them in the kitchen window.

Happy growing!

Thanks for the information I will be attempting to take 3 or 4 off of my outdoor female I don't know to take the small branches voming out if nodes or top colas any info appreciated

Back
Top Bottom