New to Growing, a few unanswered questions about DWC and Hydroponics

GodAm4twizzle

How's it going? I'm very VERY new to growing and had been somewhat motivated lately as where I live has since made medical MJ legal, making it a TON easier for folks like myself to manage their health related issues in a more natural, non-pharmaceutical company kinda way. I've been reading TONS of stuff on this forum and a couple others, and still hadn't seen any definitive answers to a couple questions I had, so I apologize if this has been covered and I haven't reached the proverbial "end of the internet," with this information..

First off: my grow will be done in a 2'x2'x3.5' enclosure that I made. I've built a single 5-gal bubble bucket and have already gathered nearly everything I need, short of nutes, grow medium (rockwool, grow cubes/hydroton) and ventilation. After doing a fair amount of reading on Autos, it seems they don't usually stretch super-tall, so I figured those dimensions would be about perfect. I'm planning on using an 8" netpot. For lighting, I'm using CFLs to the tune of 2700k's and 6500k's, nearly a 1:2 ratio respectively (I have 4 - 6500K's and 3 - 2700k's). I'm only planning on growing 1 plant to start this time. The strain is Ministry of Cannabis Auto Blue Amnesia.

So here we go....

I've read about folks using chillers to maintain their water temps around 70F-80F (~18C-22C). Since I'm doing an RWC with just one plant, would this be necessary? Does the air pump throw off THAT much heat where it will be important to chill?

Secondly, I've also read folks using an auxiliary resevoir later in their grow for additional nutes since the root balls take over and end up displacing more water. Is this absolutely necessary, as my space constraints are a little tight. I believe I read that the bigger the root ball, generally the bigger the plant. I'm not a botanist nor am I experienced in growing much other than a common indoor Hosta..

I've seen people mention changing their nutes anywhere from 5-10 days during their grow. Is this more or less based off of pH, or is this based off of the stage at which it's growing? Does a larger plant need the water changed more often to keep a more continuous supply of nutes, or am I thinking too far into this??

With nutes in mind, I've decided on GH Flora series, as a friend of mine uses them religiously and he has had some seriously incredible luck with them. Problem with asking him for advice is he's never grown Autos, only clones and regular beans. Is there a specific grow schedule I should abide by, or does the product itself supply a sufficient enough idea of quantities? I thought I had bookmarked a thread on here that had a "tried and true" feeding schedule, but IIRC, it was for a regular plant NOT an Auto.

I'm anxious to get started, but I will admit I feel a bit intimidated by going hydro for my first grow. Several friends who grow have said to forget about soil with my limited grow space, not to mention there is less likelihood of pests and insects. They did mention root-rot and I've been reading some articles about it. Anyone have any other advice on how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, criticism or critiquing you can send this way!! In the mean time, I'm back to searching the archives!

JT

Okay, after about 4 or 5 more hours of searching, and waking up with a sore neck in my computer chair, I've found the answers to a few of my questions, so I 'll throw them out there in case anyone else had similar questions:

I've seen people mention changing their nutes anywhere from 5-10 days during their grow. Is this more or less based off of pH, or is this based off of the stage at which it's growing? Does a larger plant need the water changed more often to keep a more continuous supply of nutes, or am I thinking too far into this??

From what I've read, it all comes down to water volume in the DWC. The smaller the water volume, the more frequently the water needs to be changed. I still haven't found much on if folks had recommended using an auxiliary resevoir for just a single plant in a DWC, so I'll just plan on not using one. I figure a 5-gal bucket should be sufficient enough for a single Auto.

With nutes in mind, I've decided on GH Flora series, as a friend of mine uses them religiously and he has had some seriously incredible luck with them. Problem with asking him for advice is he's never grown Autos, only clones and regular beans. Is there a specific grow schedule I should abide by, or does the product itself supply a sufficient enough idea of quantities? I thought I had bookmarked a thread on here that had a "tried and true" feeding schedule, but IIRC, it was for a regular plant NOT an Auto.

I was thinking of this: Grow Marijuana FAQ, Cannabis cultivation - marijuana growing tips & photos

Haven't heard too many negative things regarding this, although I don't recall seeing anything about Autos having a different feeding ratio with the exception of a few people saying they only used a percentage of what the manufacturer had called for. Any thoughts from anyone??

Thanks guys!! More reading!!!!

JT

Back
Top Bottom