Newb Here. Seedling Question /w Pics. Thanks!

StinkFinger

Hey All.

Been reading many journals here and the great info that 420 has supplied. I actually decided to get my hands dirty and give it a go. I hope my question is pretty easy for many of the experienced green thumbs here.

I have two dated photo's here, spaced two days apart. As you can see, the seedlings have just started to fall over during the two days.

I started these in Coco Jump Starter Plugs. The water was distilled water, with nothing else added. When you touch the plugs, they are moist, but not soaking. The light I'm using is a T5 with 18/6.

When the stems were straight, two days ago, I gently bended them back and forth, as suggested.

Guess I have two questions, what's wrong? And will these seedlings come back, or time to try again? Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of a new grower...No Surrender! :surrender:

Thanks in advance!

MJ_003.jpg

MJ_006.jpg

Even a foot above the new plants should be sufficient light, might cause some stretching, but doubt it would cause the stems to wilt. I suspect water, either the ph is off the charts, or your not keeping those new seedlings moist enough. Can you tell us something about the soil? Have you given them any nutes?

A small fan to generate a gentle breeze would also be beneficial.

Thanks guys for providing this insight, I really appreciate you taking the time. Happy Thanksgiving!

Even a foot above the new plants should be sufficient light, might cause some stretching, but doubt it would cause the stems to wilt. I suspect water, either the ph is off the charts, or your not keeping those new seedlings moist enough. Can you tell us something about the soil? Have you given them any nutes?

No soil at this point, just the Coco Jump Start Plugs
Ph is 6.0 - Distilled H2O purchased from Grocery Store
No nutes at this point either

Or could be too much moisture in the coco... roots might be having a hard time getting oxygen.

I'm pretty sure that they may have had too much water during the first couple of days. These pics are from yesterday, and I haven't watered them in at least 4 days, as the plugs still feel moist. (I think I hate the Coco plugs at this point). This morning I noticed that the other two stems have now "laid down" also which leads me to believe I may need to start again?

Questions
1. Do the Coco Jump Plugs have any nutes in them?
2. When to start giving the seedlings nutes?
3. Any "easy" way to tell if growing medium is too wet, or not enough?

Thanks again everyone!
Gobble, Gobble.

After you saturate the plugs, you should give them a good squeeze to get rid of the sogginess.

They should be moist but not soggy.

What are you gonna do with the seedlings, plant them in soil or hydro?

I've been growing in pots and germinating my seeds directly in soil, which works well for me.

I don't have much experience with plugs but they may have been too wet and the stems on the seedlings damped off.

The coco plugs are pretty much an inert rooting medium with very little nutes, but I don't think your seedlings did poorly because they didn't have enough food.

Thanks for the reps bro. I would prop them up untill they can hold themselves up if you know what I mean. Looks like you lowered ur light so that's a plus. Other than that I would make sure they have plenty of water and keep an eye on them. Nature will takes its course..

Ps. alot of people on this site know what they are talking about, me I'm just a rookie.

Thanks MI Grower.

Well I'm sad to report that the wilting on the plants was too much and too far. And the result is that I have to start over.

MJ_044.jpg

Also, I guess I've learned that these Coco plugs would not be the best to use when transferring over to a Hydro setup. The plugs just fall apart and have no support. I think I'm going to try a product called Sure to Grow.

I guess I've learned a bit from this "exercise", albeit, I should have used bag seeds to test, and not expensive purchased seeds, :-(

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again everyone for the prompt help!

Love this community!

I guess I've learned a bit from this "exercise", albeit, I should have used bag seeds to test, and not expensive purchased seeds, :-(

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again everyone for the prompt help!

Love this community!

I think you should stick with bagseeds till you get this part down pat.

Every new system or medium has its own quirks and learning curve. When you are comfortable with it THEN use the 'expensive purchased seeds'.

DD

Thanks Droopy Dog!

I know these good seeds "went down the drain" with the learning experience. I guess I got lucky on 1 of the 2 setups I had going. Pic below is of the bag seedz I planted at the same time as those wilted shots. So perhaps it's not a total waste, :slide:

MJ_056.jpg

With a little bit of beginners luck, and all the fine people here at 420, hopefully I can see these through!

S.F.

Have you looked into Rapid rooter plugs, they will make it easy to transfer into your rainforest. I seem to better clones but am working with nirvana papaya and ghs trainwreck seeds. I was just used to buying from the Berkley seed bank and for 8$ a pop you get great healthy fat clone. No seedbank here so had to start from seeds. I soaked my plugs in a lite blooming formula (200 ppm). Good luck

Have you looked into Rapid rooter plugs, they will make it easy to transfer into your rainforest.

I haven't checked those out, but I will. I'm really interested in testing this product called Sure To Grow

Sure To Grow - Hydroponic supplies for indoor gardening

Totally eliminates any need for Hydrotron, and also has a two or three part system. (Seed Cubes, Seedling/Growing Blocks, then full cylinder cubes)

The seeds in the picture above were actually planted in those AeroGrow plugs that come with their vegetable kits. I didn't know what else to use. They seem to be working.

Thanks for the tip!

for what its worth, i learned a little trick when this happens with peppers.
use a toothpick in the plug and a twist tie loose around the plant attached to the toothpick to hold up your seedling untill its strong enough to survive on its own.

some of my weakest pepper seedlings became my biggest producers. might be the same way with cannabis who knows untill someone trys!

CHEERS!

Back
Top Bottom