No Legal Pot For Top California Governor Candidates

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Voters heading to the polls in November will decide whether marijuana should be legally regulated and sold in California.

Californians will also be picking a new governor, but it doesn't look like the pot measure will get any love from the major candidates: All three leading guv hopefuls oppose legalizing weed for recreational use.

"I've already indicated that that's not a provision I am likely to support," Attorney General and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown told a gathering of law enforcement officials in Sacramento this week. "I have been on the side of law enforcement for a long time, and you can be sure that we will be together on this November ballot."

GOP candidate Meg Whitman's spokeswoman, Sarah Pompei, said Whitman is "absolutely against legalizing marijuana for any reason. … She believes we have enough challenges in our society without heading down the path of drug legalization."

Steve Poizner's communications director, Jarrod Agen, said Poizner "feels we need an across-the-board tax cut to reignite our state's economy, not an attempt to smoke our way out of the budget deficit."

Of course, not all candidates running for the office are against approving the drug for recreational use in the state. Prinz Frederic von Anhalt, the eccentric husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor, has made legalizing marijuana a central component of his bid.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: sacbee.com
Copyright: 2010 The Sacramento Bee
Website: The Buzz: No legal pot for top California governor candidates - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

• Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

if the ballot passes what will be the result if the governor opposes the will of the people?will they be able to stop legalization?i would support a pro legal candidate if it didn't mean we ended up with a a-hole like meg.any ideas?:yummy::yahoo:

Even if the measure passes they will still find a way to bust people for whatever they want. That is the new way of politics. They force their moral values on everyone in spite of what the people want. These guys are so stupid they dont realize that if one of them would support the measure they would probably have a much better chance of winning.

Vote Prinz. Under the new Los Angeles ordinance patients will only be allowed to register at one dispensary. If a dispensary does not give you a free gram or offer to give you a 5 gram 1/8th on your first visit and doesn't continue to weigh your meds heavy on every visit I encourage you to cancel your membership at that dispensary and go somewhere else. No where in the ordinance does it say a patient can't cancel their membership at a dispensary. If a dispensary has 1/8th's for over $70 I urge you to cancel your membership and go to another dispensary. If you can only choose one dispensary don't make it an over priced one.

That is so stupid... Do they not know that different strains do different things and your dispensory may not have what you need but another does. I do not see this being done with walgreens, walmart, ect.

Politics is politics. None of these politicians, even if they personally held differently believes, will openly accept legalization at this stage of the political cycle. But, if i put my money on any of these politicians, it would be on Jerry Brown because democrats are more likely to support marijuana legalization than Republicans who love to be tough on crime.

Voters heading to the polls in November will decide whether marijuana should be legally regulated and sold in California.

Californians will also be picking a new governor, but it doesn't look like the pot measure will get any love from the major candidates: All three leading guv hopefuls oppose legalizing weed for recreational use.

"I've already indicated that that's not a provision I am likely to support," Attorney General and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown told a gathering of law enforcement officials in Sacramento this week. "I have been on the side of law enforcement for a long time, and you can be sure that we will be together on this November ballot."

GOP candidate Meg Whitman's spokeswoman, Sarah Pompei, said Whitman is "absolutely against legalizing marijuana for any reason. ... She believes we have enough challenges in our society without heading down the path of drug legalization."

Steve Poizner's communications director, Jarrod Agen, said Poizner "feels we need an across-the-board tax cut to reignite our state's economy, not an attempt to smoke our way out of the budget deficit."

Of course, not all candidates running for the office are against approving the drug for recreational use in the state. Prinz Frederic von Anhalt, the eccentric husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor, has made legalizing marijuana a central component of his bid.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: sacbee.com
Copyright: 2010 The Sacramento Bee
Website: The Buzz: No legal pot for top California governor candidates - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

- Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article
Jerry Brown is an up against the wall mfer type politician. All law & order !! so vote the bastard out !! He cost me 5 yrs of my life, for what today would be 90 days in the slammer !! Damm !! I did'nt even know he was still around !! :peace:

Politics is politics. None of these politicians, even if they personally held differently believes, will openly accept legalization at this stage of the political cycle. But, if i put my money on any of these politicians, it would be on Jerry Brown because democrats are more likely to support marijuana legalization than Republicans who love to be tough on crime.
He did'nt become attorney gen., by being for mj ?? Ha !! he's locked up more potheads on his watch, than anyone before or after !! Trust me, i'm a democrat and i'd never vote for Brown !! No way !! Why aint you guys got your own canidate running ?? The green party would do good in Ca. !! :popcorn::roorrip:

we are still waiting for the day when a mainstream candidate will feel that supporting legalization measures would increase their vote totals. that day should be soon.

I'm waiting for the day that career politicians go get real jobs and get the fuck out of our lives. We need to limit terms to 2 years with no parties allowed......

Back
Top Bottom