Noob - Top LED - RDWC - 4x8 Tent Grow - Mods 4 Handicapped Old Fart

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Here is the footage of the start of flower in the Batcave. I've been stuck in bed for days but I'm back, I've got my camera in my pocket, and I'm not afraid to use it. This weeks episode also is the victory lap for the fine folks over at SkunkLabsHC.com. They saved my ass with their Root Assist tea. The only issues were that they gave that awesome product to a noob and I made the mistake of not adjusting my Ph the right way when treating the girls. They are fine but a few leaves show signs of Ph flux which we review in this update.

The new SCROG net is in and the girls are bursting through it so I do a bit of thinning and trimming as we bust out the handicapped surfboard and paddle out into the garden for the last time this season. Kowabunga.

Dahbig Kahuna, you gave me some advice about heat transfer in my black buckets and I would like a question answered when you get time.

Would wrapping the buckets in white plastic be enough to stop the buckets absorbing heat or should I use something like bubble-wrap and then the white plastic?

It's good to see your growing is working well and making you happy :bravo:.

Dahbig Kahuna, you gave me some advice about heat transfer in my black buckets and I would like a question answered when you get time.

Would wrapping the buckets in white plastic be enough to stop the buckets absorbing heat or should I use something like bubble-wrap and then the white plastic?

It's good to see your growing is working well and making you happy :bravo:.

Hey MedFarmer, I have a Black & Decker infrared gun and I tested both options. Sorry I didn't write down my results at the time, had no idea I would be getting involved like this at the time. My tests showed me that the white made a big difference, but the insulated bubble and reflective film was twice as effective as just the white alone. I bought a roll of the stuff at Lowes but I am sure there may be the same stuff somewhere by you.

I also insulated all my pipes and the chiller went from not cutting the mustard to handling everything fine. Now things are better still since I started using the Skunk Labs root assist tea. I have been able to raise my temps up to 72-74F and now the chiller hardly ever kicks on and the roots are coming back with a vengeance. Hope this info helps Brah : )

Hey MedFarmer, I have a Black & Decker infrared gun and I tested both options. Sorry I didn't write down my results at the time, had no idea I would be getting involved like this at the time. My tests showed me that the white made a big difference, but the insulated bubble and reflective film was twice as effective as just the white alone. I bought a roll of the stuff at Lowes but I am sure there may be the same stuff somewhere by you.

I also insulated all my pipes and the chiller went from not cutting the mustard to handling everything fine. Now things are better still since I started using the Skunk Labs root assist tea. I have been able to raise my temps up to 72-74F and now the chiller hardly ever kicks on and the roots are coming back with a vengeance. Hope this info helps Brah : )

Thanks for the advice mate. I will get on with the bubble wrap and white asap.

Subscribed Dahbig Kahuna, a lot of real good DIY stuff going on here, you should be very proud of yourself. I'm a long way behind you, six months of study and no grow yet. Not in the past 40 years anyway. I can't offer any advise but I'm sure having fun just lurking.
And here are some reps for popping your Flower Cherry!!!!!

Howdy 60Cal!
Love your handle, just remember... Anything above .50 caliber that is not a shotgun will be considered a "destructive device" by ATF law.:yikes: lol
You need to get your hands dirty, my 420 friend. You will really learn a lot just by breaking the proverbial ice and jump into a grow. With the support here, your chance of failure are pretty slim... SO GO GROW!:goodluck:

I can't express enough how impressed I am that you were able to put together such a terrific setup having the back and wrist problems that you have. I am also disabled with major back and shoulder problems and have been researching for a few months trying to get absorb enough knowledge to even attempt a grow. My main issue is that I do not have any diy-type skills like you do, so I have been looking at purchasing a very expensive all-in-one type grow cabinet. I wish I could do it your way, but everyone has their limitations.

Was sorry to hear about all of your woes with the spider mites, flood, brown slime, etc., but you certainly have persevered and have come through it with more knowledge under your belt for next time. I have enjoyed your videos, though some are quite long.

Keep doing what your doing and I'll continue watching through to the end. I can't wait to see those pretty girls all in flower!

I can't express enough how impressed I am that you were able to put together such a terrific setup having the back and wrist problems that you have. I am also disabled with major back and shoulder problems and have been researching for a few months trying to get absorb enough knowledge to even attempt a grow. My main issue is that I do not have any diy-type skills like you do, so I have been looking at purchasing a very expensive all-in-one type grow cabinet. I wish I could do it your way, but everyone has their limitations.

Was sorry to hear about all of your woes with the spider mites, flood, brown slime, etc., but you certainly have persevered and have come through it with more knowledge under your belt for next time. I have enjoyed your videos, though some are quite long.

Keep doing what your doing and I'll continue watching through to the end. I can't wait to see those pretty girls all in flower!

Thanks C Sprite, I'm working on a much simplified system that will be a "chilled" DWC all in one unit specifically designed with us crips in mind. With just one plant, or an auto, in DWC the yields are much higher. We can run higher rez temps with the compost tea and just being able to cool down the rez a few degrees below ambient should do the trick and be third grade coloring book simple, to boot.

THe girls have bounced back phenomenally and are starting to show some peach fuzz : )

I am so happy because the meds have reduced my oxy 10 mg to 1/6th and my morphine 30 mg in half, AND I end up with far greater mobility. You are in the right place to soak up knowledge. 420mag, not my journal. I may have a few considerations for handicapped growers like us, but what I know I mostly learned here and from the fine folks over at Skunk Labs.

As a grower with seven disks missing from my spine the daily and weekly requirements the garden demands of my back are paramount. The RDWC or DWC is without a doubt the easiest physically. I know some of my vids are long but I'm just playing with that. I am trying to learn how to do the vids so that when I am ready to get serious about them I can tighten them up. The other thing about the vids is that I am always quite medicated when I am making them so I tend to drift on my focus.

Thanks for watching, I am having a great time interacting with people who are keeping an eye on me and the grow. Don't be a stranger, feel free to drop a comment anytime. Thanks so much for your kind words and I hope you get a path figured out to your very own secret garden ;-)

Thanks C Sprite, I'm working on a much simplified system that will be a "chilled" DWC all in one unit specifically designed with us crips in mind. With just one plant, or an auto, in DWC the yields are much higher. We can run higher rez temps with the compost tea and just being able to cool down the rez a few degrees below ambient should do the trick and be third grade coloring book simple, to boot.

THe girls have bounced back phenomenally and are starting to show some peach fuzz : )

I am so happy because the meds have reduced my oxy 10 mg to 1/6th and my morphine 30 mg in half, AND I end up with far greater mobility. You are in the right place to soak up knowledge. 420mag, not my journal. I may have a few considerations for handicapped growers like us, but what I know I mostly learned here and from the fine folks over at Skunk Labs.

As a grower with seven disks missing from my spine the daily and weekly requirements the garden demands of my back are paramount. The RDWC or DWC is without a doubt the easiest physically. I know some of my vids are long but I'm just playing with that. I am trying to learn how to do the vids so that when I am ready to get serious about them I can tighten them up. The other thing about the vids is that I am always quite medicated when I am making them so I tend to drift on my focus.

Thanks for watching, I am having a great time interacting with people who are keeping an eye on me and the grow. Don't be a stranger, feel free to drop a comment anytime. Thanks so much for your kind words and I hope you get a path figured out to your very own secret garden ;-)

I look forward to seeing your simplified DWC all in one chilled unit at its completion. Any modifications you make for us crips is a bonus!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your cannabis regimen? I'm on fentanyl patches, oxycodone and Norco and would really like to cut them down or do away with them completely. Do you just vape or do you make something like RSO and/or edibles? Have you found that a particular strain is better for your pain? My main goal in all of this is to grow my own medicine so that I don't have to depend on the pharmacy. Even though I was a pharmacist in my former life, I have no love lost for narcotic medications.

I'm glad that you agree with my way of thinking that hydro is easier than soil for the disabled. We had a discussion going on another thread and most were trying to convince me how much easier soil would be for me. Like you, I can't even think of lifting more than a gallon jug let alone heavy soil pots.

Keep those girls happy in your bat cave. :;):

hey dk looking good bro.

i wanted to say that the purple petioles are def exhibited more under led. Some say this characteristic indicates a deficiency bit im not so sure. in some of the bud and plants of the monrth contest pics you can see spectacular specimens w purple petioles.

I have cuts of jack flowering right now. same mom,same soil one inside one outside. the plant growing in sunlight is way way greener with zero purple compared to its identical twin under led. Not a controlled experiment at all but it agrees with other observations about growing under led.

when you had your light on the par meter did you determine an ideal height from canopy?

Holly Soaking BatShit Batman!!

Second flood of the RDWC!! This time two weeks into flower. Having to pull most of the grow-op apart to make a new plumbing system in the current RDWC. What a big wet grudge fart. Getting bits of footage of the mess as I fix it. Trashing the beautiful girls as I try to reach around doing plumbing. Needed a new main pump so I decided to modify stuff to insure I make it through this grow. Also am mounting the pump in the water this time to facilitate quick swap if it goes tits up like the last one and to keep it cool since the last one seems to have fried as an external mount. Adding an additional three gallons of rez in the form of a third rez/pump station (wait for footage on YT)

Close to getting system back up. Had to lay down or start crying. Been going to church every half hour to deal with all the bending over. As soon as I can move again I will reset the scrog I had to take apart and put the system back together and transfer the newts back in. Wish me luck (good luck specifically if you don't mind <grin>)

Oh man, oh man. You have had all kinds of bad luck lately. I can't even imagine having to do all of the bending that you're having to do in your condition. I know I couldn't do it. Try not to do too much at any one time. I'm sending all the good luck that I can muster your way. :circle-of-love:

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Just a quick text update while I work on getting another video edited;

The crisis has passed. I got a new Eco Plus 1065 water pump to replace a burnt out (???) pondmaster 950 and I had a hairline crack in one of my buckets that was causing the water leakage and the spider mites reared their nasty little white spots on one side of the tent. All problems are fixed and took me two full days to rectify.

I am wiped out right now so may take a day or two to get video loaded to YT but I will after I rest up a bit. The things I do for love. Love of my subs. I dare say I have the most exciting grow channel on YT. Brown Slime, Root Rot, Spider Mites, Powdery Mildew, TWO (count em) TWO FLOODS. Yeah, being a noob is exciting. I need this excitement like I need a hole in my bong.

Thanks for sticking with me Guys & Dolls & I will work on videos as soon as I am able.

Howdy 60Cal!
Love your handle, just remember... Anything above .50 caliber that is not a shotgun will be considered a "destructive device" by ATF law.:yikes: lol
You need to get your hands dirty, my 420 friend. You will really learn a lot just by breaking the proverbial ice and jump into a grow. With the support here, your chance of failure are pretty slim... SO GO GROW!:goodluck:

I tried for the 50cal handle but it was taken, since I spent my time in the military hauling around a M-60 machine gun (my little friend) I thought I would use it. As for getting my hands dirty, as soon as I get moved to a better place were the landlord doesn't live in the back I will be growing for sure. Actually DeadAlready I plan on going hydro so I guess I'll be getting my hands wet.

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Just a quick text update while I work on getting another video edited;

The crisis has passed. I got a new Eco Plus 1065 water pump to replace a burnt out (???) pondmaster 950 and I had a hairline crack in one of my buckets that was causing the water leakage and the spider mites reared their nasty little white spots on one side of the tent. All problems are fixed and took me two full days to rectify.

I am wiped out right now so may take a day or two to get video loaded to YT but I will after I rest up a bit. The things I do for love. Love of my subs. I dare say I have the most exciting grow channel on YT. Brown Slime, Root Rot, Spider Mites, Powdery Mildew, TWO (count em) TWO FLOODS. Yeah, being a noob is exciting. I need this excitement like I need a hole in my bong.

Thanks for sticking with me Guys & Dolls & I will work on videos as soon as I am able.

You get to the end of this grow you will have made it to the ranks of master grower!!!! All good Karma being sent your way. Grow on big Dahbig Kahuna.

Hey Guys & Dolls,

Finally getting to putting some of my latest footage up. Here is last week's update (I am doing the newt change for going into week three today). I will follow it shortly with a video of the meltdown in the Batcave and will get some new three week footage too. As always, thanks for watching & watching out for me.

First time is first time, you are doing just great, keep going and gathering knowledge, all mistakes are nothing in first grow! You will see, next grow will be much easier and after that it will be pure pleasure and no hard work, only a lot of positive energy for you to go on! Been there, done that :) But surely i can not even compare my practice with yours - yours is way more advanced, it really is not a very simple task to assemble and perfectly maintain such a complex system only from theory, especially in poor health condition! Respect man! Keep going, i'm with you mentally!

First time is first time, you are doing just great, keep going and gathering knowledge, all mistakes are nothing in first grow! You will see, next grow will be much easier and after that it will be pure pleasure and no hard work, only a lot of positive energy for you to go on! Been there, done that :) But surely i can not even compare my practice with yours - yours is way more advanced, it really is not a very simple task to assemble and perfectly maintain such a complex system only from theory, especially in poor health condition! Respect man! Keep going, i'm with you mentally!

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I will hang in there and figure this out. I have to, need my meds. I'm either very determined, or too stupid than to fall down when I'm getting my ass beat. Either way, I will hang in there till they throw dirt on my face.

Hey There Guys & Dolls,

Things got ugly in the batcave and then went from bad to worse. So bad it took two videos to cover the grudge fart I just went through. Here is part one and I hope to load the other video to YT later today.

Back
Top Bottom