Northern lights curled up leaves

Hayzes

I have some curling in on mt strain of northeen lights leave tips. My soil is miracle gro. I recently started adding nutrients to my giels and it is osmocolote. I water roughly every other day and am using a simple 5000k cfl bulb system for each plant. I know its not the best but its my first grow and i was hoping you could help me fix this before it gets worse. Im not home at the moment so i cant post pictures. :-( but i will soon.

Re: Northeen lights curled up leaves

Ok so this is the info i have till i get pics later today. I was told its northern lights. 3 plants, vegetative growth for 20 days, indoor and soil based, miracle gro soil. 100w 5000k cfl bulbs. Soil is 3 gallon pots and air temp is from 70 to 80 small gnats are around it. I was going to buy something for them any suggestions? I just added osmocolate 14 14 14 percent. I couldnt find 20 20 20 anywhere. Water them roughly every other day and room is 4ft by 2ft. Ill post photos later in the day when im home. Sorry for the rough first post. Hopefully this is better

Ok i can explain this a bit better. It seems like mostly the top layer is curling which could be the heat. Also have one plant that had a little first leave problem that looks like nute burn that one seems to have a hard time growing new leaves. I water them with about 16 oz of water every other day. Is that too much?

And the top layer of leaves go up real nice. So do the bottom layers the leaves are nice and green no spotting. I guess its probably just heat stress. After looking at the pics. Ill have to move the lights away. I hope thats all that it is but ill post pictures asap. Also hoping i can become a contributor here eventually. Thanks everyone for the help so far. You guys are great.

2012-08-10_16-28-35_691.jpg
2012-08-10_16-28-28_819.jpg
2012-08-10_16-28-24_81.jpg
2012-08-10_16-28-18_978.jpg

I water them with about 16 oz of water every other day. Is that too much?

Just be sure you don't overwater. Cannabis hates soggy feet. I water only when needed, not on a schedule. Don't let it dry out until it wilts, just give the plant time to use up the water you gave it. When you pot your plant, judge its weight dry by lifting it. Then, water the plant thoroughly, until water runs through the drain holes. Lift it again. When your pot feels as nearly as light as it did dry, its time to water again.

Yea i usually stick my finger in the dirt and see how wet it is. This is my first gro. So im very excited and nervous. Thank you all for the quick and helpful advice. Its been useful for sure.

You are over watering if you water every 2 days. Judging by how your soil looks adds to that probability. Also because you have MG soil which has slow release nutes the more you water the more nutes the plants get. Which could burn them.

The reason you have so many gnats is also from over watering. Gnats love wet soil. Try watering once every 4 or 5 days. Or better yet water them all really good. Then do not water until the soil gets really dry looking and the leaves start to droop slightly. Take a mental note of how many days that took then water. Next time water a bit sooner then it took the leaves to droop. You want your soil to almost completely dry out before watering it again. This will help with gnats and its a more optimal way to water the roots as well.

Another thing you should do to combat the gnats and keep them to a minimum is to get some yellow sticky fly paper and put it around the plants. Near the soil is best. That combined with letting the soil dry out should keep them to a minimum. However if you want to eradicate them organically you can use Diotomacious Earth.

OK this has been so helpful. I'm really thankful. I kinda have another question though. Now my leaves are growing almost straight up. The top layer is really stretching for the light. I have my lights like 7 inches away. I am such a newb. I feel so helpless sometimes. I can't seem to find an answer. Could they be adjusting to the light being farther away? Will it sort itself out?

CFL can be like 2 or even 1 inch away and everything would be fine. A good way to see if your light is too close with any type of light is to just put your hand right above the top of the plant. If your hand is hot its too close. Your hand should feel lightly warm. With florescent lights that is usually 1-3 inches away.

One thing that you need if you dont have is a fan. Just have it pointed inbetween the tops of the plants and the lights.

A simple method of testing for temperature is to use the back of your hand. Place your hand over the top of your plant, if it's too hot for your hand, it's too hot for your plants. Good ventilation is the key to getting your light closer to the garden.

Back
Top Bottom