Officer Reinstated After He Tells Boy To Flush Pot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Tucson Civil Service Commission has reinstated a police officer fired after police say he told a boy to flush suspected marijuana down a toilet or face arrest, his attorney said.

Douglas Dreher was fired March 31.

The commission listened to his appeal Aug. 12 and closing arguments were heard
Thursday, attorney Michael Storie said.

After hearing the case, the commission ordered Dreher reinstated with back pay except for 100 hours, which is to serve as an unpaid suspension for failure to seize the bag and its contents as evidence, Storie said.

Storie said the firing hinged on a police department contention that Dreher knew the contents inside the plastic bag was marijuana and that Dreher failed to tell the truth during an internal investigation.

According to a Tucson police document, Dreher found a plastic bag of marijuana in the boy's pocket, took it out and offered the boy the option of flushing the contents down the toilet or face going to jail. The boy chose to flush the bag's contents.

A second officer reported the incident to his sergeant and maintained the substance in the bag was marijuana.

The boy and his sister also said the bag contained marijuana, documents said.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: azcentral.com
Copyright: 2008 azcentral.com
Contact: Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Breaking News - azcentral.com
Website: Officer reinstated after he tells boy to discard drugs

I can't believe he got fired for that!

I've heard of so many police officers doing the same thing.

Good to see an officer who knows the criminal charges are worse than the crime. We used to have this happen all the time in the old days. Before the demonization started.

i can imagine what was going through the Officers head . . .
"this kid's to young to have this on his record. i'll give him a break."

After hearing the case, the commission ordered Dreher reinstated with back pay except for 100 hours, which is to serve as an unpaid suspension for failure to seize the bag and its contents as evidence, Storie said.
people in the area ought to chip in and give him the 100 hrs of pay and a pat on the back for trying to protect one of their kids from having a criminal record.

Back
Top Bottom