Old seeds

panel350

HiAll,my mate dropped off some buds he had forgotten about ,they are a few years old and have some seeds that look good (colour and firm) so I have tried to germ them ,it's been a week now and not one has cracked. I also cut one open and it was white-cream colour inside .Are these seeds to old or is there something I need to do to help them germinate???
Cheers Kev
nice 001.JPG

HiAll,my mate dropped off some buds he had forgotten about ,they are a few years old and have some seeds that look good (colour and firm) so I have tried to germ them ,it's been a week now and not one has cracked. I also cut one open and it was white-cream colour inside .Are these seeds to old or is there something I need to do to help them germinate???
Cheers Kev
nice 001.JPG
Did you soak them in water till they sink?

Hi yes I did a few that way some in paper towel and a couple in soil (covering bases ).
Must be to old i guess. Especially if you tried a few seeds in a few different ways.
Guys like to start with a free bag seed but let me tell you that when u done u with the grow u wish you had spent a few bucks on the real deal.
Seed breeders reputation on the line so u know what u getting..

Must be to old i guess. Especially if you tried a few seeds in a few different ways.
Guys like to start with a free bag seed but let me tell you that when u done u with the grow u wish you had spent a few bucks on the real deal.
Seed breeders reputation on the line so u know what u getting..
As well as you could spend months growing a male plant.

I had a similar experience, had saved seeds for years hoping it would become legal. None popped and all looked viable. I wonder if the plants were harvested early to prevent proliferation of seeds and they didn't mature on the plant, but after harvest like a lot of fruit and veg in the market is for shipping/shelf life. I also wondered since they were from 'commercial' product if some kind of detection prevention treatment was the culprit. If you have more, try giving a few a slight score with a razor blade to help them crack, before the soak.

I had a similar experience, had saved seeds for years hoping it would become legal. None popped and all looked viable. I wonder if the plants were harvested early to prevent proliferation of seeds and they didn't mature on the plant, but after harvest like a lot of fruit and veg in the market is for shipping/shelf life. I also wondered since they were from 'commercial' product if some kind of detection prevention treatment was the culprit. If you have more, try giving a few a slight score with a razor blade to help them crack, before the soak.

Cheers guys, wish we could get commercial seeds here, without the risk of the customs finding them .You guy's are so lucky !!! I'd really like for some to germ as it's really good smoke .I put some in a jar of water and they all have sunk so will wait.
Ckeers Kev

There are various methods to help old seeds sprout. A ‘few years’ in ant all that long and they could easily still be viable - it just depends how they were stored. In a cool dry place they should easily last several years. In the freezer they easily last decades.
One method to start that helps a lot is to sand or file the edges lightly along the seam. Keep your hands and the seed clean. Old seed casings get tough over time.
Another method that a 420 friend was using before he left the forum, and looked like it was working great, was to leave them in a jar of water with a fish bubbler going. He removed them as soon as they sprouted. It looked to me like he was having great succces gettin very old ones to crack. I keep meaning to try that method but haven’t got around to it.

Back
Top Bottom