Organic aquaponics grow

SAMtheAPman

Just thought I'd post a link over here in the organics section to my new grow journal.

It's an outdoors aquaponics (AP) system with dual root zone (DRZ) pots to help with any nutrient deficiencies (usually it's phosphorus when growing MJ). All inputs are organic, except the fish food, which I just can't get here. I have grown some of my own fish food in the past, but at the moment it's just a high quality commercial pellet.

Only a couple of weeks into it so not too much happening at the moment but the weather is nice and warm so hopefully things will grow quickly now.

Hopefully not!

But I am thinking of some weedy fish... These perch are best "smoked" (they're ok on the bbq too, don't really like them baked :smokin:). I've used hickory chips before, but was thinking some dried out fan leaves and maybe stem might give an interesting taste to the fish...

Ye i've seen this mentioned a few times before...

How ever aquaponic's doe's produce enough nitrogen & some phosphorus via fish poo for vegetative growth or other leafy green veg etc

But lacks enough phosphorus & potassium for flowering & fruiting plants, so i may expect def's in these areas or a smaller yield.

Application of nutrients to support MJ growth is ill advised with aquaponic's as it is a recirculating ebb & flood system via pump working 24/7 coupled with the bell siphon for drainage.

The res tank is your fish tank & if any nutrients applied will end up their which may ultimately effect PH of water & fish health :peace:

I've read up on it & even looked at a commercial scale veg production...

But the system used is most interesting :love: & i must admit no one has ever used such for growing MJ, well with out fish any way !

Might want to think about it in a true hydroponic fashion... want to show the world new method very pioneering :thumb:

Yes, regular aquaponics can have deficiencies for flowering/fruiting plants, which is why my system is usually full of spinach, lettuce, asian greens, herbs, etc.

But... this isn't normal AP. This is Dual Root Zone (DRZ) aquaponics. The DRZ pot allows us to add anything we want to an AP system, without it entering the fish tank/affecting the fish. You just need to be careful about the volume of liquid that your DRZ pot can safely hold, without it leaking into the regular grow bed. Get this right and there is no chance of contamination.

Yesterday I added blood meal to a few of the DRZ pots. I would never do this in a regular AP system. I have guano ready for the flowering phase. If I added phosphorus to my regular system, I would get an algae problem and possibly kill my fish.

Back
Top Bottom