'Organic' Fruity Chronic Juice - 250W

dwlink

Hi folks,

Decided to start this journal for my second grow. My first went well and is somewhere on this site, I ended up with a good yield of some nice bud and overall I was very happy - had no real issues along the line atall.

This time, however, my goal is not to improve quantity but to improve quality of the final product. I am using a light mix soil and 'bottled organics'. I know this is not truly organic in a lot of minds but it is as close to organic as I have time for, and contains all natural, renewable ingredients.

Some info:

Strain: Fruity Chronic Juice (Delicious seeds)

We have unified the productive qualities of Chronic with a powerful medical original White Widow. The result is a variety with a great production and a very short flowering period maintaining the fresh and floral taste that reminds us of the nicest weed in the Dutch Coffeeshops. If we would be talking about wine it would be the finest one.

Genotype: 90% Indica / 10% Sativa
Outdoor Harvest: middle of September
Flowering Time: 50 - 55 days
Production: 450 g/m² indoor; 500 g/plant outdoor
THC Level: 17%

Number of plants: 2
Space: 5.5ft h, 3ft w, 1.5ft d
Light: 250w HPS
Medium: Soil
Nutrients: PM Oldtimer bottled organics (Grow, Bloom), Humboldt Equilibrium (for Ca / Mg def), Humboldt Honey ES (to add at the end while I'm reducing PM's bloom feed and hopefully sweeten up my buds).

Changes from first grow:

1. I want to keep all colas even this time. I did get some undeveloped lower buds last time which weren't great to be honest, I didn't enjoy them much. At the same time there probably wasn't enough to make any hash out of.. So I want to keep colas even and trim the lower branches and anything that is just going to end up as 'popcorn'.
2. I am keeping pots elevated to improve circulation around the roots - I am using airpots with all the little holes in them. Sometimes a pain to water but I think the extra oxygen available to the soil helps.
3. Potting up. I never did this before, I just waited for the seed to grow a few roots then into the final container. I have already noticed quicker plant growth and better root development potting up through veg.
4. More water! I struggled to read my plants last time round and quite often watered a day late after the leaves had started to wilt. Plus I would only water about 1/4 of the containers volume. I want perky happy plants so I am making sure to water at least 1/3 of the pot's volume now and closely monitoring dryness to avoid wilting.
5. Get lights closer to the tops, my aim is to have no bud more than 16" away from the reflector. According to a chart I found on ebay, a 250w at source has around 30k lumens and at 16" has 5k lumens. Anything lower than that is likely to become 'popcorn'.

So a late starting journal (veg is boring anyway). I vegged for 3.5 weeks and today is day 5 of 12/12. I sexxed plants 2 days ago (feminised seeds anyway) and alls good :thumb: Well maybe a couple of yellowing lower leaves but everything else is healthy. Will add a couple photos tomorrow once my camera is charged.

Please feel free to chime in along the way. Any advice or criticism is welcome, I am here to learn :high-five:

Here is a photo from today, day 6 of 12/12, day 3 since sexxed. Hope to start seeing flowers starting in the next week to 10 days. The stretch has certainly started! I'll do weekly updates unless there are any major changes.

IMG_20150220_224855.jpg

Surprised at the size of them every time I open the tent! They're quickly filling my horizontal space. Planning a minor defol and getting rid of any popcorn sites lower down in a couple weeks (at 21-25 days 12/12).

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for stopping in,

The airpots are great I think, definitely HELPS create a healthy root system. Though they can be a PITA to water sometimes! Its better to make sure the top layer doesn't dry out too much between waterings. And water a little extra to make up for the few ml that sometimes trickles out the holes (really not as messy as it sounds - you just have to water slow). How did the airpots get wrecked? I washed and reused mine and no problems.

The ties are some LST I started just before switching light cycle - it doesn't look the prettiest but it works well, and as the shoots grow I can tighten the ties to even out the tops.

IMG_20150224_200700.jpg

Well upon inspecting the ladies tonight I noticed this, a few bronze/brown spots on only a couple of the leaves. I think it looks like some sort of Cal mag deficiency?

I've been feeding lightly since the flip (organic bottles), but I might add some Eq. (calmag) next feed and see how it goes. Hope I've diagnosed it right!

Update day 13 of 12/12

Well I've upped my Eq (calmag) and not noticed any sings the deficiency is getting worse. I also fed my last grow and root feeds, and will start on bloom next watering. Growth has been amazing over the last 2 weeks and I've completely filled my space and am starting to think about doing a light trim of any undergrowth / popcorn sites. Probably leave this another week though.

IMG_20150227_222117.jpg
IMG_20150227_222124.jpg

Update day 19 of 12/12

Not a lot to report, plant has had little flowers forming for a few days now. I've added a couple 25w cfl's to light up the dark spots at the edges (did this last week I think). Also changed my feeding schedule and routine - plants are now getting bloom
feed instead of veg as of last watering, and I've abandoned the wet/dry cycle and am seeing them perk up a bit for sure! I'm still letting them dry out but not quite as much, and am watering a little less, but more frequently. Think things are ok from what I can tell..

Here are a couple shots from today:

IMG_20150305_202307.jpg
IMG_20150305_202319.jpg

Going to do a little defol of the lower 1/3 of the plant in a few days. Any tips or advice appreciated!

:thumb:

Early update, day 25 of 12/12 I think,

IMG_20150311_222758.jpg
IMG_20150311_222643.jpg
IMG_20150311_222632.jpg

Flowers forming all over the place at the moment, its great to see :) Smell over the last couple weeks has also been picking up a lovely fresh skunky aroma.

I have noticed a couple of burnt tips, figured it might have been the first flower feed being a little harsh for them so have back off on the feed very slightly this week. Though its all organic food so shouldn't be an issue, but we'll see if it progresses. Heres a shot, chime in if you have any tips on it:

IMG_20150311_222600.jpg

Otherwise I'm very happy overall. Plants are looking perky and seem to be coming along nicely. Tomorrow is a 'popcorn' trim and retraining the colas to try get them even(ish).

Until next time :tokin:

The light, fluffy, often underdeveloped buds lower down the plant. These don't tend to be mature in time for harvest and unless you are cooking with them or making hash aren't much use.

If I was using a 600w or even 1kw HPS then this would be much less of an issue because the light would penetrate deeper into the canopy.

getting rid of those 'popcorns' is good for a few reasons,, just to clear out the lower center of the plants for air movement,, and to open things up so it is easier to spot problems, pests etc.

the plants look great,, as to defol,, i am into that big time,, seems i can't cut enough leaves off, it keeps growing more,, i don't get it??

the brown spots i am not sure,, but i would look very very close for bugs

the brown tips,, i have a few too,, maybe one dose too much fert? watch the new growth for brown tips,, if there,, and they might be,, it's a prob,, if not,, yay

and most importantly,, d dub,, remember,, i know nothing,,,, nothing,,,,,cheers

Thanks for the advice. I haven't noticed any burnt tips on any new growth so hopefully alls good there..

I agree totally with the extra air movement a little 'trimming' helps with. Especially if you've filled your horizontal space. That being said, I only trim the very bottom of the plant as I have seen a couple experiments showing reduced yield when defoliating. I'll see if I can find them when I get a chance.

Seems the brown spots were solved by a little extra ca/mg (organic supplement) so happy with that outcome.

Just about to do a little update and add some photos..

Update day 35 of 12/12

Hey folks, a little late update as I've been so busy this week. Girls are doing well with no real problems to report.

I'm not doing too much now apart from pulling the odd yellowing leaf (there have been a few lower down that I hadn't trimmed). They are drinking like mad though, easily 3-4L each every 2-3 days. I hope this means they are sucking up loads of goodness to help produce some tasty buds :cheer:

I've also noticed gradually over the last 2-3 weeks that there are two distinct phenos from the 2 seeds sprouted. They both looked identical in veg but definitely noticed one has stretched a little more and has thinner cola leaves. Great! A little more variety!

Here are some shots from today, I meant to take one of the lower part of the plants but totally forgot! Will do this in a day or two as its getting late.

IMG_20150320_231229.jpg
IMG_20150320_231235.jpg
IMG_20150320_231340.jpg
IMG_20150321_003602.jpg
IMG_20150321_003612.jpg
IMG_20150320_231326.jpg
IMG_20150321_003624.jpg

:cool:

Quick photo update from day 42 of 12/12,

Did a little backbuilding earlier, thanks to LA's thread. Looking forward to seeing the results, I'll report back. I do have a few brown spots on some of the bud leaves which cant be good. I think it's cal mag again, it must be that soft water! Have it pictured here:

IMG_20150328_002454.jpg

Let me know if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree with cal mag, please :thumb:

Otherwise I'm very happy. There are some yellowing lower leaves but all the mid fans and new growth is pretty healthy (apart from those few damn spots!).

IMG_20150328_005346.jpg

IMG_20150328_005255.jpg

IMG_20150328_005302.jpg

IMG_20150328_002648.jpg

IMG_20150328_002743.jpg

IMG_20150328_005323.jpg

IMG_20150328_002539.jpg

IMG_20150328_002707.jpg

Aaaaaand some lovely Sour Diesel I'm sampling from a friend :tokin:

IMG_20150328_013217.jpg

Thanks for looking folks

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom