Organic PH regulators in a mineral coco grow - Could this cause problems?

Acid

Hey guys,

So I recently switched from organic peat to a mineral coco grow. I got the full line of hydro nutrients (canna coco), but only almost the full line. I still have all my organic nutrients (Biobizz), and the BioBizz PH Down with citric acid, too. So I felt like not even buying another PH regulator. I then used the citric acid ph down for my mineral coco grow.

My tapwater has a generally high PH of 8.1, so I need to ph it down. No nutrient-line has ever fixed my PH into a good range, it never went under 7. I need this stuff to work.

In the past 2+ weeks, I only had problems with my plant. Droopy leaves, yellow new growth, strange burnt tips that look bronze colored and just off (rather than just burnt), slowed general growth, the list is long. I flushed as an emergency idea already, but didn't help. My PH when using the BioBizz PH Down always seemed fine when I mixed it, had it at 5.8-6.0, with an EC of 1.4-1.5 (including 0.4 ec from tapwater). Of course with calmag, this and that, as recommended by Canna. Temps fine, humidity a bit lower to let the plant slurp some more water (around 50% humidity), as my temps aren't that high to let enough water evaporate in the substrate. Around 74-76°F.

I asked here and there, got several opinions. The biggest suspect was.. overwatering. Yes, overwatering in 70/30 coco/perlite. I watered ONCE daily, with 15-20% runoff. Others water 3-5 times daily with little runoff, so I made the decision to do it once, with good runoff. I then stopped doing this, stopped watering. 2 days, 3 days, nothing changed. Still droopy, still deficiencies, plant still looks sad. Tried this over a span of a week with no success. And yes, my substrate is 100% pre-buffered and ready to use.

And now I feel like I may have found the cause - My PH down. Please take this with a grain of salt, this is literally brainstorming by a total idiot (me). I'm just trying to connect the dots here, because no one could help me, everyone had different ideas, yet nothing has helped so far, my plant gets worse and worse every day. It still looks fine, but something is just REALLY wrong with it, as it can't even get its leaves up properly. And when I know ONE thing really good, it's bad yellow new growth, and fast growth that's just yellow in the beginning. This is the bad yellow new growth, the one I'm really scared of.

The PH down I use is citric acid, the stuff that will make your nutrient solution go up in PH in the span of a few hours already. It takes 30 minutes for my solution to go from the 5.8 I made, to 6.0 already, when I pre-make it and check PH later before using it. This wouldn't be too bad in the usual organic grows I had, as the substrate buffers out the small ph fluctuations. But I'm doing a mineral grow now, with canna coco nutrients, in coco perlite substrate. As far as I know there's pretty much nothing to buffer the nutrient water into the right range, or?

So if I'm guessing correctly, the PHed nutrient water IN the substrate will already go up from 5.8 to 6.0 in half an hour, worsening over the span of a few hours to 6.5 and up. Am I right, or am I wrong? I literally have no idea, so I need to ask to understand this correctly.

Did I make a mistake here? Should I have used a different PH regulator for my mineral grow? Here are some images just for the fluff of it:

124.jpg

264.jpg

495i.jpg

2457.jpg

32457.jpg

got to admit I’ve never heard of mineral coco and also- I have never used citric acid so idk there

anywho coco coir is inert, there’s nothing in coco to sustain a plant, coco is merely a place where roots can grow IF you supply everything the plant needs. In coco the plant must be bottle fed every single time meaning nutes plus water….also don’t give her plain water or plain ph adjusted water.

It’s nutes plus water every single time. Coco must not be allowed to dry out, she needs to be fertigated every day… feed plus irrigate = fertigate.

the feed 3 X per day is not exactly true, you only need to feed once a day starting out. The 2 X per day is for when the plant is large and then bump to 3X for flower…

Don’t concern yourself with ph test for runoff, what matters is ph going in so you need to hit her with nutes plus water at ph 5.8 going in. Your temps are low, that will impact how the plant responds. When you mix your soup add cal-mag first stir and wait 10 mins during smoke break. Then add your NPK take another smoke break, finally set your ph and feed.

let me ask resident expert @Bill284 to stop by

Nono, please, let me explain, may have been a misunderstanding as English isn't my first language.

By mineral coco I mean mineral nutrients. The salt nutrients. Not organic nutrients. I'm used to call them mineral nutrients.

I follow everything you've said from day 1, I feed daily, water daily, everything as you have said. I only switched this up in the past week, as my plant kept drooping and drooping.

Right now I just wanna know if citric acid works when using hydro nutrients, because that stuff makes your solution drift up in pH very quickly again.

I would increase your PH to 6.2-6.3. Nothing over that though. Let those babies dry a little too. 3x daily is a lot imo.
Make sure to have 15-20 percent runoff.
Cheers
I do water only once a day with 15-20% runoff, that was what I did from seed on, and it worked wonderfully. Those strange symptoms only started around 2 weeks ago, where the leaves just started drooping all day long, with severe droop at night (not the normal sleepy droop). I then switched to letting the coco dry out for a day, then for two days, but nothing happened at all over the span of a week. It kept looking droopy.

That's why I start thinking that the citric acid (BioBizz PH Down) may be the cause? Because it doesn't keep the PH in a stable range for more than an hour, it will already drift upwards then. I tested this by mixing a nutrient solution, then used citric acid to PH it to 5.8, and let it stand there for a while. It only took half an hour to go up to 6.0 when I checked again. My PH pen (Apera PH20) is 100% calibrated, so it can't be faulty.

I'm just clueless at this point and can just guess.

New growth is yellow, so most likely non-mobile micros [Fe, Zn, Mb, B, Cu, S etc]
These tend to be more available at lower pH
Citric acid is fine for pH down, but yes, mix it up the night before then adjust the pH again
I let my pH drift anywhere between 5.6-6.5 - the higher end allows better NPK & CaMg uptake, which is why a slightly higher pH in flower is recommended

No doubt, I just went from using Promix HP for long time running 5.8 with nutes. With a one a week watering @6 ph.
They ran out of HP at hydro store and only had Promix hcc which it has more coco. Was getting my ass kicked by my plants @ 5.8 to 6.0.
Brought them up to 6.3 and cooking with grease now..
My tap is 7ph so often have to bring it up with ph up.
Cheers.
I think it's all PH monitoring imo. Especially if you are in soilless

Back
Top Bottom