The chaotic adventures of a beginner - Substrate and nutrients. Can someone help?

Acid

Hey guys,

So after I just succeeded with my second organic grow (Biobizz, "organic"), I'm.. done with that stuff. No hate, but I'm just done. I also couldn't get coco to work one bit, as frequent fertigations just straight up killed my plants. I'm distancing myself from all of this stuff.

My current plan, which is partly already (sadly) done, is getting nutrients. I decided to go for the Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect line, as I don't have any other options besides this, BioBizz, and GH. Yes, no Jacks, no nothing. I don't live in the US. It's the trio of Grow / Bloom / Micro.

Now I just noticed that this stuff is apparently for.. hydro / DWC. Did I eff this up already? Because my plan isn't hydro or DWC in any way, I won't touch that yet or any time soon. My plan was to get peat substrate, as coco just doesn't work for me, and biobizz was peat too, just organic. I can NOT get my hands on any neutral substrate, 99% of all substrates are pre-fertilized where I live, so I bought this silly mixture of peat-moss, worm humus, and perlite. Almost no pre-fertilization, but it does have worm humus which confuses me a bit.

How do I get this to work? I imagine my substrate is close to HP Pro Mix, which is my dream substrate, but it does not exist here at all. I tried to get as close to it as possible, and ended up with this peat / worm humus / perlite substrate, literally the only substrate that's almost non-fertilized. And I wanna use AN on it, which means salt-based nutrients, non organic. Yes, that's how I gotta roll now.

I don't know how to PH this stuff, what the range should be, especially because worm humus is inside of the substrate, in combination with the PH Perfect trio. I just completely messed up, but I gotta get it to work somehow.

I'd love to see some answers, ask about any details & I will provide them. I'm just confused about my own decisions here, but I can't give the nutrients back & now I ended up here. Dumb me needs a pro to fix my stupidity!

where are you ? can you at least give us a country ? most places that have internet access can get at least some cannabis specific products.

edit : you weren't growing organic at all. i'm not sure what your goal is.

I am not surprised one bit that you got fed up with BioBizz/coco, they do not work well together and can be messy
The substrate you have should work much better with AN Ph Perfect - there is no need to adjust pH at all
The EWC will have minimal impact so you can pretty much ignore that
Probably not an ideal combo, but this plant will grow anyhow so long as you don't actively kill it

where are you ? can you at least give us a country ? most places that have internet access can get at least some cannabis specific products.

edit : you weren't growing organic at all. i'm not sure what your goal is.
He is in the Ukraine. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Okay, a few misconceptions, im sorry. Here's everything more clearly explained:

* I started with Biobizz Light mix (peat moss) substrate at first, with Biobizz nutrients. Lots of failures, 2 successful grows in the end. My last auto yielded 5oz in a 2gal pot, which is good I think. I don't want to use this stuff anymore though. Biobizz calls itself organic, but I imagine you could take that with a grain of salt.

* I then switched to coco perlite, with canna coco nutrients. Pure failures, it never worked for me. Only one plant vegged, but it was insanely slow, I cancelled that project.

* Now my plan is to use a substrate I'm used to, which is peat moss , just that it's a subtrate without any nutrients (besides the worm castings I mentioned). It is called "Plagron Pro Mix". I purchased the advanced nutrients trio line with it, because I got it with a good deal, only 30 bucks for the whole trio line in big 1L bottles. Can't say no to that.

The only thing I'm going to switch up is the fact that I'm now using salt based nutrients, rather than the organic biobizz nutrients I used in the beginning. Substrate also isn't biobizz anymore as they only sell pre-amended substrate, so I chose a different brand with the same base ingredients, just no nutrients pre-added.

And lastly - I lived in the Ukraine, but I moved to the Netherlands long ago, as I have Family there too. Yes it's the country of weed, but here's the thing - You will not find any well known international brands for soil. It's only Canna, Plagron, Biobizz, and lately also Terra Aquatica which is the European GH, but their substrate is pre-amended too. All the brands I've mentioned literally only sell pre-amended substrates, unless it's coco. Only Plagron has ONE version without nutrients, but it does have worm castings in it.

I hope these details explain everything better. My problem is just: Does the Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect line work with the substrate I chose? And what PH do I need to aim for if the PH perfect line does not work perfectly?

I hope these details explain everything better. My problem is just: Does the Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect line work with the substrate I chose? And what PH do I need to aim for if the PH perfect line does not work perfectly?

it should be fine. add about 1/3 perlite to the media or so for better aeration.

In the Netherlands there should be no shortage of products to get.
I think Plagron works great, whatever bag you get, I've used fertilised ones with nutes as well you just have to take it easy the first weeks.

If you're running into problems it's most likely method that's causing hiccups.

If you want ease and peace of mind, get some Elho Green Sense Aqua Care pots.. they're from the Netherlands, I've bought some of those and growing has never been easier. I've tried various feeds with them Biocanna, Terra Aquatica synth nutes, I'm now doing a run with Zamnesia Monsterbud feed in pellets form.. and pretty much anything goes.

Hey guys,

So after I just succeeded with my second organic grow (Biobizz, "organic"), I'm.. done with that stuff. No hate, but I'm just done. I also couldn't get coco to work one bit, as frequent fertigations just straight up killed my plants. I'm distancing myself from all of this stuff.

My current plan, which is partly already (sadly) done, is getting nutrients. I decided to go for the Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect line, as I don't have any other options besides this, BioBizz, and GH. Yes, no Jacks, no nothing. I don't live in the US. It's the trio of Grow / Bloom / Micro.

Now I just noticed that this stuff is apparently for.. hydro / DWC. Did I eff this up already? Because my plan isn't hydro or DWC in any way, I won't touch that yet or any time soon. My plan was to get peat substrate, as coco just doesn't work for me, and biobizz was peat too, just organic. I can NOT get my hands on any neutral substrate, 99% of all substrates are pre-fertilized where I live, so I bought this silly mixture of peat-moss, worm humus, and perlite. Almost no pre-fertilization, but it does have worm humus which confuses me a bit.

How do I get this to work? I imagine my substrate is close to HP Pro Mix, which is my dream substrate, but it does not exist here at all. I tried to get as close to it as possible, and ended up with this peat / worm humus / perlite substrate, literally the only substrate that's almost non-fertilized. And I wanna use AN on it, which means salt-based nutrients, non organic. Yes, that's how I gotta roll now.

I don't know how to PH this stuff, what the range should be, especially because worm humus is inside of the substrate, in combination with the PH Perfect trio. I just completely messed up, but I gotta get it to work somehow.

I'd love to see some answers, ask about any details & I will provide them. I'm just confused about my own decisions here, but I can't give the nutrients back & now I ended up here. Dumb me needs a pro to fix my stupidity!
My preference is General Hydroponics for their product lines stability and cross compatibility over other brand choices. All fertilizers added to the source water must be in proper pH range to be usable to the cannabis plants and adjusted as necessary. My choice for a neutral medium is peat moss amended with perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizal fungi. Whether organic or chemical fertilizers are used the adjustments are creating optimal growth conditions and your familiarity with their use. A pH meter and pH calibration fluids are used to accurately measure and to pH adjust the nutrient solution prior to watering the cannabis plants.

Back
Top Bottom