Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Good plan....I just have my "Green card" and this is the last year of 15 plants.. Now the big question is ....The new rules say that you can only grow 6 plants,3 in bud and 3 in veg.... DUH !!!! Great plan guys. BUT it also says that your doctor can recommend more than the 6. SOOOOO the big question willl be..So Doc ,15 or 20 be ok? You know being a out door grower that doesn't want to use fem seeds. That way your covered if you have too many guys....Right? I go in for my renewal next month so we will see. Thats the only reason I would keep my green card. I don't even know if the general public can grow there own..... Wild huh ?? Legal.... Who'd a thunk it !!! HahaHa Red

Yah, rot resistance is important up here I the wet. Big Sur was also really wet. Well, in non drought years anyway. California is burning up now, along with Oregon and Washington. Also rot is a big problem in greenhouses though; actually I have had more problems with pot rotting in greenhouses, as the humidity goes up and things cool down, like it is doing here now in late September. For that reason I force my sativas to bloom early and they are done by the time October rolls around. My males have had some rot this year and I have had to cut the rotted tops out. Males die out early though, on purpose, after the flower and drop their wads.

Seeds in a baggie will likely die after a few years. Pollen dies after a just a few days. Unless... you freeze it. If frozen and kept dry, seeds will last for many decades, if not a century or more. I read somewhere early on that freezing seeds would make them last forever. So I did that and that has worked. I also labeled and kept the seeds separate, so I would know what I was growing in the future. Pollen will last up to 2 years in the freezer if it is dry, then it is a goner. The problem with pollen is getting and keeping it dry enough and fast enough not to clump or rot. Pollen will rot in a few days if left on its own. Sativa pollen is not too hard to deal with, as it is finer and a lot drier than indica. Indica pollen is larger, damper, and far more prone to clump and rot.

Hey BS. welcome aborad...Lets be best friends haha..sorry :welcome:.....It is what many are thinkin though ...Remember, A friend with weed is a friend indeed and with killer seeds Oh the better.Just jazzin ya.That really is cool you took the time to save all those seeds..I don't remember the names but the smell...MMMmmmmm Some of that good mexician?? We called it "Motor weed", smoke a joint and soon your out cleaning the car or taking on some wild project......I live up here in the Great North Wet(West) and am working with early strains that are mold resistant... Just because thats the prioritizes,Well that and a good comfortable buzz..My dream is to put up a big green house,That will help alot, I tell the youngsters I am breeding.They all laugh and complane that weed with seeds is no good and can't be strong...AHHHHahahaha What little do they know.Some of the best weed I ever smoked had seeds..That I threw away.... Duh ??? and some of the seeds I kept are un marked and just in a baggie,could they still be ok?....Anyway sorry fro rettling along.just wanted to welcome you and give my best to your project.....Very cool ,Red ...PS and I too can't believe weed became legal this soon... Its great being able to grow LEGAL !!! You can take more time and really enjoy it... God Bless America !!!

I am not up on WA state grow laws, but I believe that for personal recreation use, you cannot grow any weed there. Only medical. Here in Oregon anyone can grow 4 plants per address, all stages, no licenses required, and no district, city or county can ban that. I can grow some MASSIVE sativas here... "Yes, it is just one plant, officer. Point point. See? 18 feet tall, yes sir. 58 branches, yes sir. 9,000 buds, yes sir. More than a half pound of weed? Yes sir, but it is not harvested yet so it is not weed. Its just a plant, sir. One of my 4 legal plants."

I never got my own medical card here in Oregon because I have a concealed weapons license. I would lose that if I got a grow card. I did grow for some lawyers here on their grow cards. Those laws are unchanged as far as now, but they are looking to restrict it more as a lot of that winds up on the black market (or so they claim). You can grow 6 veg and 6 adult bloomers in Oregon per card. I was looking into getting a license to grow medical MJ, but that is a rather complicated and expensive ($4,000 license fees) process here. I am not sure how the seed production process will work. They may go the bar code and tag route like in Colorado, but at least seeds will not have to be tested and labeled for THC/CBD content like bud has to be. Plant cuttings/clones will also be sold, apparently, as of Oct. 1. Too bad I am not set up to grow much indoors here. I only have a 400 watt halogen systems that I use for starting seedlings.

Good plan....I just have my "Green card" and this is the last year of 15 plants.. Now the big question is ....The new rules say that you can only grow 6 plants,3 in bud and 3 in veg.... DUH !!!! Great plan guys. BUT it also says that your doctor can recommend more than the 6. SOOOOO the big question willl be..So Doc ,15 or 20 be ok? You know being a out door grower that doesn't want to use fem seeds. That way your covered if you have too many guys....Right? I go in for my renewal next month so we will see. Thats the only reason I would keep my green card. I don't even know if the general public can grow there own..... Wild huh ?? Legal.... Who'd a thunk it !!! HahaHa Red

:thumb: Yeah it would make the most sense for you to grow and breed the seeds yourself, if you're into that sort of thing, or can find someone who is to partner with, and make it work. It seems like some of those good old strains must have been bred out of existence. What's bred can't be unbred, I suppose. I hope you pull this off, and hope that you journal some of it here if you do. You'd definitely have a lot of help from the forum, and plenty of future customers before you even got started up. Very cool.

Yah, it is looking more like what I will do is grow out my own seed bank, on some level. $5 a seed and I can recoup my license and greenhouse costs pretty fast and get the genetics out there to everyone. 'In state' everyone for now anyway. I am sure they would be shipped out pretty fast. I am well experienced in nursery stuff, and I have a certificate in horticulture and I have had several plant nurseries and a landscape business over the years. I have grown roses, orchids, and bamboos commercially. I do not know what the market would be for de-seeded weed material. It is smokable... maybe sell it as "dirt weed." But these young people here now do not have any clue what real dirt weed is. Or was. They are completely spoiled vaping killer psycho one hit super strain weed in Portland.

Once bread out, the original clones are gone, yes. You cannot un-hybridize plants. Well, maybe in some insanely expensive genetic lab west of Sacramento you can. But not by continued hybridizing of plants and seeds. You could get close to original types by crossing true form types in a large array of plants over many generations I suppose. But landrace Panama Red is extinct as far as I know. One seed that I wish I had. Same with Acapulco Gold, though that was not nearly as good as the Panama stuff.

As far as help, the Dutch seem to be the best in horticulture regarding MJ. They are far ahead of us in the states. Its in their blood. They used to have the world market cornered on tulips, which drove a huge economic bubble in the 1600s.

:thumb: Yeah it would make the most sense for you to grow and breed the seeds yourself, if you're into that sort of thing, or can find someone who is, and make it work. It seems like some of those good old strains must have been bred out of existence. What's bred can't be unbred, I suppose. I hope you pull this off, and hope that you journal some of it here if you do. You'd definitely have a lot of help from the forum, and plenty of future customers before you even got started up. Very cool.

Well B S ,Sounds like you have a good plan... Would love to see your catalog when it comes out. Last year i built a big PVC hoop tent with open ends and when it got colder I covered 1/2 of one end and ran a few fans and really kept the mold at bay....My plan is a big bent metal one in cement this time. the old one blew away and had to be reconstructed to finish the season. As far as the de seeded stuff, wouldn't that be great for hash,Ect. . I would think there would be a good market for it.. I tend to give it to family and friends. But am thinking .....cash is good too.... Happy Trails,Red

Grow them strain by strain, pick a male, pollinate the best female, and you're gonna have an inbred line this way with much more seeds to get into breeding game! You might also start a co-op with some skilled growers here on 420, send them a pack of seeds, and they will grow it, pollinate it, and return fresh batch of seeds to ya that will be better naturalized to non-equatorial climates :thumb:

Reviewing my fresh frozen seed collection, I have 38 strains. 11 are Landraces from Mexico (Oaxaca, Morelos, and Guerrero). 10 are landraces from Colombia. 2 are landraces from Africa. 2 are landraces from Thailand. 12 are early or mid California and Mexican sinsemillia heirlooms (like Humbolt, skunk, Pacific Valley-African), and one is a totally unknown strain.

Sadly I do not have any seeds from the 'LSD weed' that a friend dropped by with back in 1977. We smoked a joint, and he left accusing my brother and I of putting LSD in his beer. He left the weed with us, saying he did not want any more of that. So my brother and I immediately rolled and smoked another joint of it. We were like that. It was totally psycho weed. I have no idea of the origin. It may have been all sinsemillia and no seeds, or those are the unknown/unlabeled seeds that I have, or I was so stoned I forgot to save the seeds. Hard to say. I have lots of other seeds from that year. I also do not have any Panama Red or Cambodian Red. I do have Colombian Red seeds though. And Colombian green and gold and brown. No ganja seeds either. That was from an era before I collected seeds, sadly. Best weed I ever smoked. I got an ounce, sold off 1/8ths, and people were knocking on my door asking for more 2 months later. It was that good.

Amen ! I too figured something would have gone wrong years ago but....here we are.. making the best of it.. well,I sure hope you have a catalog someday.you know folks will want some of those seeds.I do....Keep us posted.. I harvested a few plants this week and I am finding single,dry, brown seed husks with dark seeds in it. this happens with the rest of the plant is all green.There is buds with seeds too ,but I am wondering if these "First Born"single seeds might be better some how. They look great and are way ahead of the rest.... any thoughts,thanks Red

I cannot attest to any seeds being better than others in a single crop depending on if they are early or late harvest. As long as they are ripe, they should be fine. Immature seeds that are light or white in color may not be any good. Any attributes or genetics in the seed will be due to pure chance depending on what pollen grain fertilized the ovum. Natural selection. Like animal sperm, pollen are a several millions in one shot.

About the same chances of us surviving the Cold War I guess. I was reading recently about the Russian diesel sub during the Cuban Missile Crisis that was armed with nuclear torpedoes. The entire crew wanted to fire on the US fleet that had driven them under. Only one man, Vasili Arkhipov, said no and averted a global nuke war. One man among billions. Its spine chilling.

Amen ! I too figured something would have gone wrong years ago but....here we are.. making the best of it.. well,I sure hope you have a catalog someday.you know folks will want some of those seeds.I do....Keep us posted.. I harvested a few plants this week and I am finding single,dry, brown seed husks with dark seeds in it. this happens with the rest of the plant is all green.There is buds with seeds too ,but I am wondering if these "First Born"single seeds might be better some how. They look great and are way ahead of the rest.... any thoughts,thanks Red

Yea, there is some weird stuff out there...I'm just glad we made it this far and that I am still in "The Vertical Club"...... ...Thanks for the info B S. I just got to thinking that ..Mabey .... those early one might be stronger somehow ....Make for a good legend.... You know,many years ago ,the early hempers would crawl on there backs for days, looking for those "First Born Seeds".Always tucked down low ,on the under side...Hmmmm .Yes sons,wars were fought over them and the earliest tattoos symbolized them .....haha Sorry ,just got carried away..Happy Trails,Red

Yea, there is some weird stuff out there...I'm just glad we made it this far and that I am still in "The Vertical Club"...... ...Thanks for the info B S. I just got to thinking that ..Mabey .... those early one might be stronger somehow ....Make for a good legend.... You know,many years ago ,the early hempers would crawl on there backs for days, looking for those "First Born Seeds".Always tucked down low ,on the under side...Hmmmm .Yes sons,wars were fought over them and the earliest tattoos symbolized them .....haha Sorry ,just got carried away..Happy Trails,Red

Yah, that is a good laugh. I never walked or crawled the earth looking for pot seeds. Damn things were everywhere in any lid, and they had to be removed or the joints would explode! None of this seedless stuff was around then. No strains like Trainwreck or Northern Lights. It was just good stuff :smokin:, dirt weed:skeptical:, or killer! :high-five:I got seeds from all over the world and I never left my sofa, so to speak.

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend...

Pass it over to ME !! haha.Yes those were the days.I found some sealed MMJ that was 2 ? years old.i thought I would save it for historical value(yea right :thedoubletake:.Anyway i was looking at it , a nice brown..not green at all and the smell.mmmm and it was a great smoke,So question is ..Did they dry the imports more back in the 60's, 70's or ?? I just answered my own question.......Dry weed weighs a little and greener weighs more so more weight more $$ Right...? anyway..I just remember lots of dry brown weed that had no name but the smell...mmm Oh and them seeds..I had a jar of seeds and it a jam you could always get one more joint by sifting through them...This year I left one male and so far I think I will have seeds till the cows come home(whatever that means) haha.. But keep us posted on your ventures...Happy Hemping .Red

The drying methods back in the day varied. They got the weight up more by loading them up with ripe seeds. In Mexico they typically dried the tops in the sun. Not the best way to cure weed. In Colombia the brown and narcotic gold was piled up in a heap and dried before it was bricked. Not the best way to cure weed either. I have heard more recently of people steaming buds to raise the weight and 'step on it' on the black market. Now that it is legal here, I believe that moisture content is tested for and controlled.

Yes, you can get a trillion seeds from one male pollinating the girls. And gleaning stems and seeds back in the day, yes... we all ran out at one time or another, brother! And smoking seeded weed can and will get you high. So will smoking males flowers. But don't tell the young kiddies about that. They live in the new seedless world. The world where the seeds cost $10 each! Ten bucks for one seed! Yikes! I used to buy half ounces of Acapulco Gold for $10.

If people would flood the market with some of the great weed that's around then they would have to drop prices or keep their expensive weed. or toke it all themselves ! Back in the sixties people always said "PASS IT ON " some day maybe everyone will.

You know speaking about "steppin on it",i knew a few junkie types that would mist there open bricks just to add weight !! I remember laying it all out on newspaper by the wood stove just to get it smokeable.I asked one of them "So what did you break this up outside in the rain or what? They didn't answer.... But on a different note,Boy BS ,you are sitting on a gold mine.I just now heard about Colchicine and how "they" are using it to make super weed. i can only wonder if all new strains have been mixed with this stuff..If your seeds are all pre colchicine..... you could really "take us back" to the old stuff..Man that stuff sounds bad,The first grow from treated seeds could kill you or at least make you really sick... and thats how come are strawberrys are so good.....Anyway, thanks to all for the info and memory's. Mmmmm Thai stick..finding that one lone seed !! i did the same, only the seed got mixed up with some others and in one instant..It was gone...i was sad... Take care all ,Red..

'

If people would flood the market with some of the great weed that's around then they would have to drop prices or keep their expensive weed. or toke it all themselves ! Back in the sixties people always said "PASS IT ON " some day maybe everyone will.

Prices here are dropping fairly fast now that its legal. I am seeing some good weed on the BM for $100 an oz. again. I have not seen those prices in several decades. Prices at the MMJ shops are dropping as well.

Hey fellers, I was just reading your post BigSur, and I just wanted to say I'm friends with the feller in Indiana that bred the original "Bubblegum", in the early to mid 90's, Scott has been breeding cannabis for a number of years now, and he has some really amazing strains in his arsenal. With that being said, he said he happen upon the strain by accident more or less, like so many originals, but after working the genetics for some time, he was offered a undisclosed amount of money for full rights to the genetics, and he sold it. Now from my understanding, the "friends" of his that purchased the genes and rights took the genetics to Amsterdam to fully work the strain and make it commercially available, after a crap load of other shit that happen, but you can read that on the High Times web site, and I didn't hear that part first hand so I wouldn't get it right anyway, but my whole point is look how much money's been made on the strain and original crosses in the last 20-25 years by 2 main seedbanks....and my friend, told me that was a very big regret in his years that he's since learned to swallow, and he does still posses his OG genetics, and many other strains he's created but none are world famous and responsible for fortunes....so maybe just take your time and consider all options, I mean if they've been in the deep freeze since the 70's what's another year or 2 of working through the genetics yourself and producing generation landrace purebreds, and just imagine all the true F1 hybrids you could create, and not watered down by every pollen chucker between the swamps of Florida to the great North West.
It's true you do hold the keys to so many possibilities, and I truly wish the best for you brother, and hope you save the Unicorns....lol I registered with this forum because I read your posts and felt I like there are some pretty chill people on here, I usually mess around on the Den...

Pollen Chuckers !! Hey now !! haha just jivin with ya... Its truly mind boggling to think how this will all play out in the next 5 ?, 10 ? years...Up here in the Great Northwet our powers that be are doing what governments do best.....over do what doesn't need anything and ignore what needs help...anyway I don't want to wonder from the main subject...The Possibilities Big Sur ...!!...Look before you leap and keep us posted....Happy Hemping,Red

Welcome to the forum, riderdie420. Not that I am an old stoner here. Well, I am an old stoner, but a noob on this site.

Yah, I can only imagine what some early breeders are thinking these days. Back in the day seeds were free, traded freely, given away, tossed out, etc. I gave out many seeds that were grown and some became crossed heirloom strains in the Monterey Bay area. Some were instant hits, like some weed that I sourced the seeds for that was grown in Carmel Valley. I took some of that weed to The Old Sash Mill in Santa Cruz one night and got the whole bar and the band CrazyHorse completely stoned out of their gourds. That was before local grown sinsemillia was common.

I also have what I believe is the predecessor to GDP, or Granddaddy Purple, from Big Sur. I do not understand why people think that GDP is a pure indica; it is tall, late-long blooming thin leaf purple sativa dominant... if you ask me. On a similar heirloom front, I have been talking some more with people about the original OG "Ghost" strain, and I have come to believe that OG is for OverGrow.com. That makes the most sense to me. Ghost was a user on OG.com. OG and OG kush are also likely one in the same plant strain, or at most one is the self-pollinated descendant of the other. Later tales about this strain and what OG means seem to get more and more embellished in Southern California. Some even say that the strain comes from Lake Tahoe? I mean, really? And similar to GDP, the so called genetics are all over the map for Ghost OG/OG kush: 50-50%, 75-25%, 25-75% indica-sativa. My particular Ghost clone is only a foot tall and it absolutely reeks of indica. The leaves are also fat, so I would say that it is at least 75% indica, if not more.

Hey fellers, I was just reading your post BigSur, and I just wanted to say I'm friends with the feller in Indiana that bred the original "Bubblegum", in the early to mid 90's, Scott has been breeding cannabis for a number of years now, and he has some really amazing strains in his arsenal. With that being said, he said he happen upon the strain by accident more or less, like so many originals, but after working the genetics for some time, he was offered a undisclosed amount of money for full rights to the genetics, and he sold it. Now from my understanding, the "friends" of his that purchased the genes and rights took the genetics to Amsterdam to fully work the strain and make it commercially available, after a crap load of other shit that happen, but you can read that on the High Times web site, and I didn't hear that part first hand so I wouldn't get it right anyway, but my whole point is look how much money's been made on the strain and original crosses in the last 20-25 years by 2 main seedbanks....and my friend, told me that was a very big regret in his years that he's since learned to swallow, and he does still posses his OG genetics, and many other strains he's created but none are world famous and responsible for fortunes....so maybe just take your time and consider all options, I mean if they've been in the deep freeze since the 70's what's another year or 2 of working through the genetics yourself and producing generation landrace purebreds, and just imagine all the true F1 hybrids you could create, and not watered down by every pollen chucker between the swamps of Florida to the great North West.
It's true you do hold the keys to so many possibilities, and I truly wish the best for you brother, and hope you save the Unicorns....lol I registered with this forum because I read your posts and felt I like there are some pretty chill people on here, I usually mess around on the Den...

Back
Top Bottom