Outdoor, Autoflower, Early Miss, GG#4, TrainWreck, N.Lights, Pacific NorthWest Region

djashdj

Just getting this started. I haven't even begun germination.

I should slap this disclaimer down now. I'm a TECH NERD and I've NEVER gardened a DAY in my life and I've only murdered indoor plants with neglect. I am however a great cook and baker and meticulous about following directions. So I'm doing a lot of reading a research for this first ever foray into home grow. Thanks to CV19 the wife, kid and I have ended up virtually jobless living on an island in the pacific northwest in Canada. (So southwest part of Canada) If you really want to know we are on Mayne Island, you can research our weird climate. Honestly living here, with an 90% reduced income from where we were is actually not so bad. May continue this life after the pandemic is done.

I had planned originally of starting my germination this coming week but all the sudden temps have dropped to -5c and a high of 0c. So I might wait a couple more weeks so that my babies are ready for the outdoors when it's at least over 10c overnight. I have no tent and no grow lights.

Seeds are from CropKingSeeds
All 4 are Auto Flower. All autoflower are feminized? I don't know for sure so I'll be watching them as they grow to make sure. I bought 5 seeds of each strain and am starting with only 1 seed of each. Probably overkill but with our limited budget we need a successful grow to replace the cost of purchasing. I'm hoping for all 4 to make it but if only 2 do we should be good. I was also considering a second start with a second set of seeds a couple weeks after incase I start one set too early and they fuck up from the cold.

Strains:
  • Early Miss
  • Northern Lights
  • Gorilla Glue #4 (my fav)
  • Train Wreck

The plan right now is to follow the germination instruction included with the seeds. (Paper towel method)

Then I'm going to move them to a SOLO cup.

Then I'm going to move them to a 5 gallon fabric container from "Melonfarm Pot"

When we got to the property we are living on we were really excited because it has a garden and a compost! Turns out the compost has been severely neglected and is mostly unusable, and at my first venture into it I was able to pull out very little usable compost. The previous resident also appear to have loved corn on the cob and leaving those little stickers on bananas and apples and threw them in the compost. When we dug up the garden a tiny bit we found that it was only about 3 inches deep at best and had plastic bags on the bottom throughout the whole boxed garden. The garden is also visible from the road so planting there shouldn't happen. Legally in Canada your plants can not be visible from the road or sidewalks. (Stupid law but I still want to be discreet) So I'm putting the babes in fabric pots that will be ABOVE ground. I'm thinking this might be good so I can move them part way through the day to keep them getting optimal sun.

So my soil is going to consist of the following recipe I found online, everything purchased except the compost:
  • 3 parts compost
  • 3 parts peat moss
  • 2 parts wet perlite
  • 1 part wet vermiculite
That's what I'll be putting in the solo cup after germination and then the 5 gallon fabric pots. I also have 3 gallon fabric pots but now I've read that moving your flowers creates a lot of stress so I'm going to only move one time most likely.

I'm also keeping track of the cost of all this to the penny. Here is where I'm at with everything above purchased (except the compost) including a digital pH analyzer thing.

$178.17 CAD Happy to share the break down of my costs if anyone in Canada(or anywhere) is interested.

That's it for now. I'll post pictures when I get to the germination stage. Just wanted to get this journal started for myself. Thanks to all those viewing and all the guidance and tips that will come. I've read a ton of conflicting information out there. My likely future questions and fears are the following:

• How cold can I go outdoors with no tent?
  • Am I going to need a tent to stop the dew/rain/wind? Or can I let nature do her best and just monitor moisture and pH daily? perhaps a touch of supplements here or there for pH?
  • This climate is typically overcast with rain and winds, but summer shifts to sunny and windy salty air.
  • Is there a problem with moving a flower once or twice in a fabric pot with handles? Will that create too much stress on the roots or something?
I will research more on those I don't expect answers just yet unless you have ideas on the tip of your fingers! Thank you again, I'm so glad to find such a big community.

Welcome aboard! Forget the cheap probe type meters such as the 3 way light, ph and moisture meters or a single probe soil ph meter - they are notoriously inaccurate and best used to roast marshmallows. No ph adjustments needed on rainwater.

I would imagine it’s too cold to put plants out in Canada now and you will need some type of light to get them started but let’s allow one of the real Canadians to advise you better on this

I am so super itching to get started! My wife's peas are growing like crazy in our bathroom right now she needs to transplant them to a pot. Seeing that growth makes me want to START MY SEEDS! So... is it TOO SOON?

If I start my seeds today and it takes 5-10 days to germination, then 2-3 weeks as a seedling in solo cups. That's about 4 weeks until they move outside right? The average outside temperature around Mid March here is 10c historical average with an overnight average low of 1c. When I move from solo cup to 5 gallon fabric bags

That seems too cold for the little plants right?

But then I think, well... if these don't work out, I do have enough seeds to start over again a couple weeks from now.

For outdoor growth what should I shoot for as an absolute low temp? I do not have an area I can bring them inside and I do not have a tent. (yet)

Hoping to go all natural light for the whole grow.

I think patience is going to be the hardest part for me.

Ok. Here is the "forecast" and a chart of the historical weather for this area. As I'm moving them outside. After reading a ton of Grow Journals now mostly indoor and some outdoor and reading about watering and pH and soil, and nutrients etc. Unless anyone looks at these charts and gives me a DON'T START YET! I'm probably going to germinate this weekend. Here is what the forecast looks like for March over here on Mayne Island BC. We have really high winds but where the plants are going to live it's pretty mild winds even when we are close to power loss levels of high winds. I "measured" with bubbles while playing with the kid. Blew some bubbles and watched where they went and how strong the winds were in the areas. Thankfully, pretty moderate winds.

First photo is where my outdoor grow area is going to be and what it looks like now at 9:40am on a overcast grey day (which is pretty common) I added airflow arrows, and some explanations of my plans for moving the plants during the day.

Second photo is the forecast and historical averages as far as temperature go. I feel like while these are hearty plants as they are autoflower with ruderalis so maybe they will be ok in the cold? Still having morning frosts right now. I've read online if your plant is under 15c shit's not gonna work. It won't grow, won't yield much, and likely will die. So... yeah... but then I read elsewhere that they are fine unless they go below 0c and it will just extend the grow cycle of the plant and increase the chances of mold. ??? So much information out there and often contradictory. I suppose this is because there are so many other variables. I've read about Seed Mats for heating and wonder if I was to get some of those strap them to the bottom of the cloth bags that end up in the mobile cart outdoors if that would keep them warm enough to keep them living. Again, with no tent. ?? No idea. Would keep the roots warm maybe but only if the roots had grown enough. Might even encourage root growth?

I know this is all big time overkill as I haven't even germinated yet but I'm killing time until I start and I want to document and plan as much as possible for other noobs and for me in my second year.

Also, if there is anything else anyone thinks I will 100% need to purchase to go with this grow please let me know since it takes quite some time to get things delivered to this island.

In regards to weather apparently the rain here hits multiple times of day for short periods typically. 70mm a month historically in March. Forecast, pic 3, kinda scares me with all the rain/cloud listed.

Lastly, after reading up here on the forums, I've ordered additional cloth pots. I'm going to now go from solo cup to 1gal, 3gal, 5al as the end.

Many amazing reads on here! My favourites so far are Emilya's! I'd probably pay for and recommend a book if you wrote it on watering/growing cannabis.

Pic 1:
First Grow Planning alpha.jpg

Pic 2: (weather graph temp)

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.25.01 AM.png

More weather for Month of March Clouds and Precipitation: Pic 3:

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.45.43 AM.png

Ok time to get back to work. Thanks everyone for their opinions. Hopefully I don't have to wait another month, but good things come to those who wait I suppose?

what will be your water supply? Given all else and limited resources I’d say for real success you have to make sure your water isn’t too hard and the PH is in the zone. If you can manage the water carefully you may not need compost or bought nutrients. Some folks make teas to provide proper food for microbes and enzymes in soil to maximize nutrient up take by plants. If you can find clear solo cups use them split down either side top to bottom sleeved inside another colored solo cup. This allows you to check the root development and make the transplant less stressful. Full but not root bound and dry soil will allow you to remove the split inner solo cup and place it in the next size up “home” (1 or 3 gallon) if you can afford micorrizae or similar root enhancing microbes your efforts will be rewarded. Pre fill the new container using a solo cup placed at the proper height as a mold for the seedling. Pack soil around the empty solo. Once the seedling is unsleeved I moisten the roots slightly and sprinkle with micorrizae and also dust the hole created by your “mold” solo cup before placing seedling in place. Once in the hole just gently fill in the edges and firmly press to remove air pockets. I water lightly the first day or two firming and topping with soil if needed. After a few days I water well.
if you harden off your seedlings before going outside with them they should be able to take brief bouts of cool/wind. Adding silica if you can afford that supplement is another thing that would really help your specific weaknesses (wind)
Good luck

I’d go back to seed bank and re-read everything about your choices (autos feminized etc) some strains are prone to hermaphroditism. I’ve only grown Gorilla Glue autos once and they flowered in the solo cups at 4 weeks!!!!!!!!! Another grower got all hermaphrodites. If none of this applies THATS good.
Autos flower when they WANT to so be prepared for that as well.
If you can find grow journals from the same seed sources and types that should be your go to reference.
I found this link because I bought some train wreck out of curiosity along with some DoSiDo. I’ve not dropped any train wreck yet. I’ve got Cement shoes as well waiting lol
Currently just finishing my first modern indoor grow with LED lights and FoxFarm Happy Frog amended with extra perlite.

Have clones of Grand Daddy Purple ready to go into flower tent (6 weeks in 7 gallon phat sacks after initial move from solo cups to 3 gallon plastic nursery pots) I like photo seeds over autos as I’m indoors in tents. If I was in your geographical area I’d be looking for photos with shorter grow seasons genetically (just don’t like the finicky flowering tendency of autos)
I’m just a newb so I can’t recommend any but I’m pretty sure there are some available. You’ve got a challenge ahead but that’s the fun of this believe me.
The six I am about to chop were forgotten in 3 gallon nursery pots so long they were completely root bound. I realized this mistake when they stalled a moth into flowering under a 4 HLG QB120 LED light in a 4x4 tent. I decided to risk losing them to up potting them to 7 or 10 gallon cloth sacks. I had to tease out the roots with a bonsai tool before placing them in the new sack with pre made hole sprinkled with micorrizae. They sulked for a week but really turned out ok if you saw their root ball before the final move.

I also upgraded my light to a 4QB120 boards with 2 HLG V2 RSPEC boards and use the original 4 QB light for veg tent now. The QB 288 really frosted the buds and I’m thinking of adding 2 of them to my veg light as well. They run on the same driver/power supply as the QB120 boards and I’ve wired them separately so I can turn them off during veg. If you lose a driver for the 120’s the 288 driver is the same. You can’t run more than 2 QB288 in series with this driver, but it kinda is a spare part sort of thing if you need it.

Germination begins!

EM = Early Miss
GG = Gorilla Glue <--- My fav
NL = Northern Lights
TW = TrainWreck <--- recently tried this strain and it was super mellow.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 4.55.59 PM.png

I did not take any photos like a rookie. The TW taproot is about 2 inches long now. EM about 1/4" and NL about 1/2inch and the GG is about 3/4 of an inch. I moved them to solo cups even though I probably shouldn't have as they were mostly so small. So they are now in solo cups in natural window sun light during the day and kept toasty warm at night. Hoping I didn't murder the three of them when I moved them with their small taproots.

Interesting thought on this. The smallest taproot was the closest to the heat, and the furthest from air flow. Does anyone out there think that had something to do with the sizes of the taproots?

I think they’ll be fine. I moved mine into soil sooner rather than later and they’re doing great. Last time I let one get too big and the root had grown into the paper towel.

With a Tech. Brain and a lil bit of time im sure ull grow some rocket fuel.
Take most things with a grain of salt when researching, alot of bro science. just stick to common sense more in my opinion.
Happy growing.
Actually found some great videos on that youtube site! Thank you.

Here are some Solo Cup photos! Train Wreck is by far the overachiever. I have clear solo cups with holes cut in the bottom in Red Solo cups to block the light around the base.

Right now the Train wreck, Early Miss, and Gorilla Glue have all popped out of the soil with the first little leaves showing on the TW. No sign of anything yet on Northern Lights. I'm being patient. These are all kept indoors between 19-25 degrees. Direct sunlight via the windows most of the day too. Spring water no additives for water. Soil is the above mix from my first post.

IMG_8832.jpeg

Train Wreck ^^^

IMG_8833.jpeg

Early Miss ^^^^^

IMG_8834.jpeg

Gorilla Glue ^^^^^

IMG_8835.jpeg

A very shy... Northern Lights ^^^^

Just a quick photo update. Nothing new to report. Def still feels too cold to go outside any time soon, they aren't even close to ready for that. Most rooms of our house don't get over 19c so I wonder if that's what's causing the slower growth on some of these compared to the others.

Photo order: Train Wreck, Early Miss, Gorilla Glue #4, Northern Lights.

IMG_8957.jpeg

IMG_8959.jpeg

IMG_8960.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

All seeds dropped on April, 2 2021 then solo cupped on April, 6th. Always open to comments or critique. So far so good I'd say considering the lack of heat and light. Not too shabby.

If there is anyone out there, quick question. The Trainwreck seedling (the biggest in the photos above) has plopped over on the side of the cup. Looks like it's stalk is having trouble holding the weight of it's leaves.

Any tips to help it grow thicker and less tall?

I believe water/nutrients are good. Light is indirect sunlight for a few hours in the morning, then direct sun light for about 3, then I move them to another window, and they get about 6 hours there, then I move them again and they get about 3ish more direct sunlight, then indirect sunlight for a few more after that.

Was taking a time lapse when it plopped over, pretty sure I caught it happening will post that later.

That leaning over seedling is not good, needs more light. Get a cfl or curly incandescent bulb really close. Yep your crew will benefit from warmer temps. Believe it or not that is one reason why we use tents - it helps to hold in the heat in a smaller area. 74 to 78 is good for temps - let you do the conversion on that since I suck at celcius. Gentle fan moving air helps build thicker stems but go very easy on a small seedling. Also looks like you are on the verge of watering too frequently, that 2nd photo the seedling has a skinny part in the stem often if they are repeatedly watered too much that can lead to damping off where the middle of the stem just shrivels to nothing & dies.

May have over watered them a bit but there is none in the bottom now of the red solo cup. I have a rock in there too to lift up the clear plastic cup. The light situation though is troublesome. This climate/location just doesn't have tons of sun in doors. It's too cold to take them outside (and too windy) in their current state. I guess I'll have to get a grow light. 23-26c is the convert to c and they are kept mostly in that range while in doors. I think.

The one that's slumping over has a root coming out one of the holes in the bottom already. That surprised me when I checked the water level. Post more photos after todays day in the sun.

I'll look into lights I guess, just don't have anywhere to put them inside and it takes weeks to get anything shipped here so by the time the lights arrived they will be dead or will have survived and likely (hopefully) moved on.

Thanks for your suggestions! See if I can get those lights quick. I really know nothing about lights. That's what I was using the sun for. ;)

T5 fluorescent and compact fluorescent are pretty weak for growing and they don’t drive a huge harvest but they will work in a low budget pinch kind of way. hps lights are the old standard bearer they work well, along came cmh and blurple leds and now white light leds are the go to. Many led’s give model number like a 1000 but that’s not true wattage - it’s what they estimate as replaces an hps of equivalent wattage. But yes white light led and look for wattage draw from wall.
here’s pic of cfl

While we are at it let me start by saying if you are going to spend money on a light then get the best you can afford. I started with T5, it worked but lacked the zing I wanted. Upgraded to 315 ceramic metal halide, it grew decent bud but I wanted a big harvest. Got a 600 hps and it did the trick but dang the power meter went into orbit and light generated a lot of heat. So I switched over to 2 of the 250 watt white light leds.... take it from me and buy white light leds from the get-go

Awesome! Thank you for giving me something to start with. I've got a fan setup now to give them a gentle breeze. Is there any chance the leaning tower of Train Wreck will stand itself back up? here is a photo of them currently getting some sun, with a breeze. Top is Northern Lights, then leaning tower of Train Wreck, Early Miss, and then Gorilla Glue is the stem finally starting to open on the bottom.

Do you think it would be wise to put some dirt around the stem of the leaner, build it up to hold it a bit? Or maybe just don't touch it?

In this photo the one towards the top has almost no stem at all and is beginning to flower. It's crazy how different the different strains grow in almost identical conditions.

IMG_8969.jpg

Back
Top Bottom