Over watering issues?

Recklessjoint

So I'm just a few days away from switching to flowering.. my plants have been in veg for around 42ish days.. I've been feeding fox farms nutes according to their schedule and amounts.. I follow a schedule of feed, nothing, plain water, nothing, feed and so on.. nutes come twice a week and sometimes I skip plain water nights if the soil is still moist.. it's been smooth sailing with no issues so far but last night I flushed them for the first time to get ready to flower.. then earlier today I opened up the tent to find 1 of my plants leaves dropping down pretty badly then a lil while later 2 more plants had dropping leaves they were curling down at the tips about half down the leaf.. my 4th plant seems unaffected.. should I be concerned or is it normal for them to drop after a flush..? I'll try to get some pics of them in the am..

Re: Over watering issues??????

You might wanna let them dry out a bit. Does flushing to you mean you flood the soil to cleanse it before harvest. If so, I'm guessing over watering. Looking forward to a pic. On another note and not to be condescending, do you understand flushing is basically water feeding or with additives made to flush such as Flora Kleen? Again just asking,

This is my first indoor grow so I'm learning as I go.. from what I understand flushing is done by running lots of water more so then a normal watering through the soil to rinse out any build up nutes.. so I ran like 2 gallons of water threw my pots.. was that not right..? From what I've read some say to flush every 4 weeks and to use lots of water

That is incorrect. You just over watered your plants hence the drooping. Nutrients are basically salts. We try to balance them and get the best results. As the plant gets older with a larger root base it can absorb more nutes ,so we basically keep it boosted to get the best results. In the final phase of growing we want all the unused nutes..(salts) washed out to make it clean and flavorless of nutes.. This is done by stopping the feed and just give water or as I said something like Floro-Kleen etc..The plant will use up what is already processing and clean suck up and use anything left in the plant. If you do it correctly you will have a nice white ash from your medicine.

What the OP is describing is more appropriately called leaching and is common and accepted practice, if often confused with flushing for harvest. Nutrient toxicxity, deficiency, pH lockout, etc. are addressed by leaching the soil by irrigating it with copious amounts of water (and usually a mild nutrient solution). It just happens to commonly be referred to as flushing as well. It's also recommend when using heavy feeding programs to prevent salt build up that can lead to all those conditions.

I think when it comes to leaching soil, one has to apply a small amount of common sense. If you water, notice a problem, then leach the soil after watering the of course that's keeping the soil wet for too long. On the other hand, you may not always be able to let a problem progress long enough for the soil to dry and will just have to plan for the water stress, in that kind if immediate case leaching is probably a last ditch effort to save a critically injured plant anyway so water stress is the least of concern.

A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure though, when nutrient manufacturers say to flush every three weeks they typically mean to use plain water to prevent excess build up, especially with heavy feeding. Using plain water every other watering is a good idea too, because leaching in general is a stressful thing for a plant, especially in soil if you're disrupting the ecological conditions of all the little microorganisms that help make soil stable.

Just thought I would offer some input as someone who has had problems distinguishing to what people mean by flushing.

Feeding straight water to get all residuals out if bud before harvest is flushing.

Over-irrigating to treat problematic soil is leaching.

He asked if he was over watering. I answered correctly. He also asked about flushing. I shared my experiences accurately , no one said anything about leaching. If you have to leach your soil give.. it up, grow tomatoes.......to me it means you cant read a nutrient bottle.

Just re-read my post. Dont mean to be a dixz. Leaching is confused with flushing and you made a good point. I got my panties in a wad because I adressed his issue and felt like you thought I missed something....Feeling better meds working..peace. 197 posts, I know your not inexperienced.

No problem I didn't mean to sound as if I was correcting anyone. I am not terribly experienced but I did learn the hard way that leaching is not flushing on my first crop. Was so dank but tasted like lawn clippings and burnt my throat. Then when asked how long I flushed for I was like "As long as it took the water to drain?" and realized people were taking about something else lol

Back
Top Bottom